Lets talk GEC!

All best in SPEAR whatever the frame ;):D

For those patterns sure. I think spears look wonderful on straight jack designs, but on a curved jack? Can't beat a clip point.

48302861261_70e86dc71a_b.jpg

Spear... clip....

We all have so many blades... If I was only going to have one pocket knife I would care.

I have to say that I prefer GEC's clips to their spears. The tips of their spears are sometimes ground a tad too thick for my preference.

If my folder has only one cutting blade, I generally prefer a spear point for versatility. But if it's a two-blade knife, I'm all about the clip/coping combination.

I read his statement as clips were more dramatic in appearance, but spears better in practical performance.

I understand it the same way. I just wanted to know in which practical applications does clip point come short in comparison to spear point in his opinion. You are talking to somebody with no experience with clip points whatsoever.

Why exactly do you prefer clip point over the spear point in practical performance?
Both clips and spears have functionally the same straight section and belly portion, all things equal. Clips (ignoring the “muskrat” or “California” varieties) tend to stand out of the blade well more at the peak point than spears, that’s true. Some people believe that the clip’s point isn’t as sturdy as the spear because there is less metal. Functionally I would hate to see the way a clip pocket folder was being used that someone broke the tip of- it’s still hard to do, but theoretically they are correct that it’s a more robust point. Personally I like the tighter cuts I can make while whittling and so I favor the slimmer clip point; I can get into tighter places, too, and slip in between zip ties easier. I would also point out that the point of a clip stays buried in the well longer (as it gets smaller through use and sharpening) usually due to the clip shape.

Both are good slicers, they both have good points. I have noticed however that piecing things like plastic packaging with a spear tends to push the cut out more from the initial placement, as the slope of the dropping point pushes against the material.

I guess my point (pun intended) is that for most people a spear and a clip are basically the same- there is very little functional difference unless you do things like whittle or do some other specialty work.

Why exactly do you prefer clip point over the spear point in practical performance?

Asking out of genuine interest, because I am just trying to get my hands on some clip #15 or #77 as there is spear point in my collection everywhere you look. Your statement makes me feel like I am moving in wrong direction.
For me, I prefer the clip points, and not just clip points but the “pinchable” clip points the GEC is currently using, for at least two VERY specific reasons 1. The point is easier to get in between toys and those god awful zip ties that are holding them in. 2. The blade is wider from the edge to the spine making it a better slicer due to the angle being more acute. There’s other reasons but they’re variations on that theme, the point and slicing ability.

I understand it the same way. I just wanted to know in which practical applications does clip point come short in comparison to spear point in his opinion. You are talking to somebody with no experience with clip points whatsoever.

Spear is better for spreading things like peanut butter. :) Aestheticly, I prefer the spear and would always go for one on a single-bladed folder. That or a Wharnecliffe. But that wasn't the question. I like two-blade, one-spring folders and have found that when using the straight-edged secondary, the hump of the spear sticking up out of the blade well and into my hand can be less comfortable than the same knife with a clip main, so clip/wharnie is my go to combination.

... so clip/wharnie is my go to combination.

I was just using my 141118 lick creek to whittle at lunch here in the office (Kudos to Pratt and Whitney for being friendly to knife users), and the thought came to me that an opposite nail nick, two bladed 14 with this clip and a full-size, narrow wharnecliffe would be a great whittling setup. It’d take care of 98% of my typical whittling cuts. Inevitably I need a small blade from something like a Case Seahorse Whittler from time to time, but it’s rare.

To say I have absolutely no experience with clip points was a bit of a stretch. I have of course experience with Opinel, but that has more of a upswept tip, like bowie. Extra belly is superior for foodprepp, but when I want to use the tip, it makes me to do it under such a wierd angle, that would make slipjoint to colapse. I have also 66 with muscrat clip. Advantages are that it is very pokey, streamlined in handle and alows for easy change of cutting direction. On the other hand it feels somewhat unstable in cut, very wedgy - blade is not tall enough to allow for an acute angle and nearly usless for spreading.

But between spear and standard clip, I would say one is more pokey and other better for spreading. I wouldnt go as far as saying that spear is so much superior in practical use. YMMW

I vastly prefer multi-blade knives when out and about, but usually carry a single blade at home, since I have so many different knives stashed all around the house. I like the clip and sheepfoot combo a lot, as the clip gives me the point for fine work and the sheepfoot is a horse for the heavy stuff. If I carry a spear main, I prefer the secondary would be a Wharncliffe, to provide the point that the spear lacks.

Clip plus either a sheep foot or small Wharncliffe. Spears look cool but are less versatile than a clip.

Speaking of clip/Sheepsfoot combos... more picks up of the #29 acrylics. Wow. Looking better than I would have imagined. Looks similar in proportion to my #35 Churchill with a thinner Sheepsfoot. I kinda like the punch- don’t know how often that would get use though. Is it good for drilling holes in wood? Looks like it’s got an edge.

Since I almost always have a Lambsfoot on me, I've got "pokey" covered quite well.
So, usually I'll throw something small with a spear blade in my watch pocket if I carry a second knife.
I don't think I'd carry a spear blade as my only knife, they aren't the best at certain tasks, like clam shells and zip ties.

Back