Lets talk GEC!

I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the lauded #92, I keep hoping that GEC will do another run of them.

How are the pulls on these, the nail nick on your looks to be further from the tip than I would care to use if the pull was on the stouter side? I could see the desire for an EO notch if that were the case.

Personally, EO notches are not very aesthetically pleasing to me and though I've warmed a bit to it on the #85, it still feels awkward in the hand.
I would say the pull is on the lighter side, 5-6. I just prefer to be able to pinch open the blade.

I like eo notch on some knives. I even have modded a couple of knives. In my opinion a slender knife like a trapper doesn’t look right with one.

I don't mind the way they look on a swell end Jack.
r7buDSb.jpg

WzOftd6.jpg

It's your knife, of course, but here's my crude Paint mock-up. :eek: Let's just say I don't think it's a good look.
hUPvnD9.jpg
That’s not going to work! It would be much more shallow and blend in with smooth curves. I’ll think I’ll leave it well enough alone. It’s a beautiful knife as is.

Ginger+%26+Mary+Ann+-+Then+%26+Now.jpg

Just so you guys know. And both probably run and look about as well as any Dodge.

Personally I'll take a spear or drop point depending on knife design. Someone mentioned a few pages back about knife blade design not mattering as much as something sharp. I'd agree. However when you can choose, why not? Oh, and a Camaro. :D

My real purpose in these knife design discussions is to scratch the itch so I don’t run out and buy more GEC. I love the variation in the product they’ve been making- it makes a guy wonder about the perfect combo and pros and cons in knife design.

No one ever got back to me about drilling wood with the punch. Now I’m even more curious that they’ve named the #29 the stockyard Whittler. Anyone ever make some holes with one of GECs punches?

Maryann is kind of like a Galaxy 500 while Ginger is more akin to an LS6 Chevelle. :D

I get the Ginger/LS6 SS reference, too much out over the front. Maryann was; however, way too petite to be a Galaxy 500...more like a GT350...relatively small package that you know packs a punch when it is called upon.

Reactions: mb>
My real purpose in these knife design discussions is to scratch the itch so I don’t run out and buy more GEC. I love the variation in the product they’ve been making- it makes a guy wonder about the perfect combo and pros and cons in knife design.

No one ever got back to me about drilling wood with the punch. Now I’m even more curious that they’ve named the #29 the stockyard Whittler. Anyone ever make some holes with one of GECs punches?
I have been begging GEC to make a "BEER DEPLORABLE" #29 knife. Take off that stupid punch and add a beer cap opener. As soon as I spotted the new name "Stockyard Whittler" , I just know this run is going to be a loser. I did pre-order a "Snakewood #29". All I see is bloodwood on their web-sight for the Northfield #29. I hate bait and switch. I won't buy any ,if they do that. GEC should of made some more Rams foot #93s with that bloodwood. Rendezvous is coming soon , so don't expect the knives to come in on time. I learned that last year with the #44s.

If you want a bottle opener, you can buy a Scout, or Radio Jack, or just buy a Victorinox SAK.

A whittler pattern has three blades, with the main blade centered between two shorter secondary blades on the opposite side. It can have three springs or be 'split back' springed.
A Stockman knife has three blades, consisting of a main blade and two secondary blades, these secondaries can be a sheepfoot, spey, or sometimes a punch/awl.

"Stockyard Whittler" makes perfect sense to me. A combination of Stockman Knife and Whittler.

I have been begging GEC to make a "BEER DEPLORABLE" #29 knife. Take off that stupid punch and add a beer cap opener. As soon as I spotted the new name "Stockyard Whittler" , I just know this run is going to be a loser. I did pre-order a "Snakewood #29". All I see is bloodwood on their web-sight for the Northfield #29. I hate bait and switch. I won't buy any ,if they do that. GEC should of made some more Rams foot #93s with that bloodwood. Rendezvous is coming soon , so don't expect the knives to come in on time. I learned that last year with the #44s.

I’m a little worried they are calling it a Whittler, because it’s a three springer. I know the precedent has been set before for that configuration being named thus, but for most of us I think we would want a two spring configuration. I was more excited until I started thinking how little I’d use the punch and how much it’d rust in the blade well as a result, lol. +1 for bottle opener swap.

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson If you’re worried about any of this, you’re doing it wrong. ;) The punch makes it tactical anyway. Ha

Ford all the way, but only if it’s a truck. VW GTI if it’s a car. The GTI is the GEC of the car world.

And Charlie’s Angels (from the 70’s) over Gilligan’s girls any day.

Enjoy your weekend folks. Heading out to water the yard with my sweat.

If you want a bottle opener, you can buy a Scout, or Radio Jack, or just buy a Victorinox SAK.
"Stockyard Whittler" makes perfect sense to me. A combination of Stockman Knife and Whittler.

Now that you say that I guess I understand where the name could come from. Either way it’s referencing what are two different 2 spring 3 blade (typically) combos. I wonder if someone will be caught unaware when they buy one and get a three spring. Two spring / split back whittlers are much harder to make so I kind of feel like they should get the honorary title “Whittler”, but that’s just personal preference.

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson If you’re worried about any of this, you’re doing it wrong. ;) The punch makes it tactical anyway. Ha

I hope whatever I’m doing isn’t being done wrong, I merely think there’s something to a name. I wonder if it’s going to mislead some of the less informed buyers. Of course naming conventions don’t ultimately really matter and I suppose anyone is welcome to call any product whatever they want. I know I don’t want to open up the “Hey, that’s not a true Whittler!” can of worms. I’ve seen those debates essentially end in disaster coming to the conclusion that there’s lots of things called Whittler and there is no strict practical guideline.

Just watch- I might end up with one these anyway; regardless of what it’s called or whether or not I use the punch a lot. I do love the pattern and I think they did a great job with blade placement. However if it came with a bottle opener/flat head screwdriver instead of a punch I could leave my SAK at home. That has some appeal to me.

Now that you say that I guess I understand where the name could come from. Either way it’s referencing what are two different 2 spring 3 blade (typically) combos. I wonder if someone will be caught unaware when they buy one and get a three spring. Two spring / split back whittlers are much harder to make so I kind of feel like they should get the honorary title “Whittler”, but that’s just personal preference.
I get where you're coming from. I think this will be a great little knife, but I admit: If I had my 'druthers it would be a two spring classic whittler.

I'm not too concerned about it being too thick, since there aren't any middle liners. If you've ever handled a Buck 301 or 303, they aren't really any thicker overall than a classic style Stockman.

It’s become somewhat of a running joke for some and a point of frustration for others that for every knife that GEC produces, someone requests that it have caplifter.

This phenomenon is only recent by my observation, starting after the Beer Scouts were produced. Prior to that, few ever mentioned a bottle opener being very useful (particularly in our day and age).

Don’t assume I don’t like caplifters. I acquired full sets of spear and clip Radio knives, prior to the beer scout phenomenon and also have one of the original caplifter scouts, made as a Rendezvous Special knife.

I have never assumed a "whittler" was two springs; nor have I ever seen it defined as such. In 2019, blade rub or the weak springs that sometimes come with splits are much more frowned upon than the number of springs - thus it is the right knife for the current users. I think one main blade looking across at two secondary blades will always be a whittler to most eyes. To be honest, the punch is more of a departure than the springs if you are historic or function minded.

Back