1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I’m sure whacking blades is fun, but the rhc tester is probably a bit more accurate.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  2. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    That makes perfect sense. Why waste the blades and the effort if it’s so consistent the likelihood of identifying an anomaly is almost zero within a given population. Neat to know people still do that though.

CelloDan likes this.
  3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Look no further than this thread, for an early 20th century attempt to do exactly as you stated with the Pocket Knife Manufacturers Standard Catalogue.

I’m still having trouble figuring out whether it was the US government or just the knife manufacturers themselves that tried to make this work.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ers-standard-catalogue.1634813/#post-18683629

gaj999 likes this.
  4. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    That's what's missing from my collection, a Stabber!

Buzzbait likes this.
  5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Every collection needs a stabber. LOL.

It’s very difficult to find any information whatsoever on the Standard Catalog. But from reading what was available online, it kind of sounds like the worst idea in cutlery history. Unless, of course, you detest variety and ingenuity.

gaj999 likes this.
  6. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I really don’t think careful definitions are juxtaposed against creativity and ingenuity. I think it gives people a new opportunity to come up with a new meaningful name to define the newness.

I think creating variations without careful consideration of what impact using the same name has lead to ambiguity, particularly in the knife world.

The hallowed title “Barlow” is even used to describe certain knives I’d never consider a Barlow.

GEC has a great opportunity to innovate and set their own definitions, that we might like better than whatever else is out there.

Berickson47 likes this.
  7. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Great post Mike! Extremely sensible. I agree.

Looks great! And the sheaths for these do look really nice with the new tooling. I might get one at the Rendezvous.

One of the best things about GEC is that they use Peter's. Peter's is so well respected, and does such a great job. I also appreciated that all the whalers had HRC testing marks on the tangs. That's a lot of blade to grind and heat.

Travman likes this.
  8. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Man... eye balling the #29 pictures while reminding myself the #86 is supposedly on the production docket for this year.

I love the lengths of the narrow Sheepsfoot secondaries on both. I’m promising myself I’ll only get one of the two models though. That old high school lesson comes screaming back at me; “economics is what you do in the face of scarcity”...

I’m contemplating going hungry for a week.

gaj999, cbr1000 and Wharn like this.
  9. Morrow7x

Morrow7x

Feb 10, 2019
    I've been wanting another acrylic, the 29 looks really useful also. Win-win!

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  10. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Do you use your acrylics? If so, how do they hold up? I have some experience with things made of acrylic, but not much with knives.

11. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Acrylics can take a pretty good beating and don't outgas like the old celluloids did. The smooth surface is the only downside really...if grip is a concern.

12. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Oh man- ouch. Just saw the #29’s go up and get sold out at nearly $118... guess I wasn’t expecting that price. Should have thought back to the Dixie stockman pattern. Maybe I’ll be getting a #86 at a friendlier two blade price... lol

For the record, I’m sure the knife is worth it. It’s just 100 bucks is the magic number with my wife.

13. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Maybe you can kick in the difference after she pays the 100 bucks, I mean they’re your knives you should at least pay a little for them.

14. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    First off, I’m not a collector in the usual meaning but I have four user GECs and one shelf queen. I know there are other manufacturers like Case, et. al., but when I look at them I just see “meh…”. They just don’t compare. In the overall scheme of things the price difference is insignificant.

I know how, and to a certain extent why GECs are made. I respect the adherence to quality with a big Q, and traditional roots. Some accept stainless blades as ok in traditional knives. I do not. Some like “modern” traditionals which is a fundamental contradiction for me.

Considering a GEC Barlow, for example, against a different brand is no contest. If the GEC costs twice as much, well, you are certainly getting what you pay for.

Yes, I am a GEC fan man (too old to be a fan “boy”) and I’m not knocking others proclivities. Just saying you can’t beat GEC.

15. Morrow7x

Morrow7x

Feb 10, 2019
    Carry traditional folders often, use them little, to be honest. I have a LTWK fixed I use at work most of the time. IMHO the acrylics get a little shabby/fine scratches from pocket carry but still look good. Just not as display pieces anymore...

Which dealer/scales? I haven't gotten any notice from the sites I frequent yet...

EngrSorenson likes this.
  16. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I don't know which dealers he is referring to. Gunstockjack sent an email around 4 central for acrylic and sold out at a few cents under $118.

EngrSorenson and Onearmbladenut like this.
  17. Morrow7x

Morrow7x

Feb 10, 2019
    Never mind, I see Knifeconnection is out, too. I think I dropped the ball on that one...:rolleyes:

EngrSorenson likes this.
  18. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    Three items of nearly the same thing is a collection. Four GEC knives is a collection. Welcome to the clan and learn to like it ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

EngrSorenson likes this.
  19. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    What I imagine is a similar discussion for many of us regarding the latest GEC knife drop:
    “yes- these blades look similar, but the profile of this one is slightly fatter and stubbier and... well honey, just wait a second... well yes, the knife handle is the same general shape, but notice how this one is bigger and made out of wo... Honey, I understand this one just looks a lot like my other one, but even you can see how they are different! ... OH NO, HONEY, COME BACK! I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT! There’s no reason to go stay at your mother’s! Please stop packing and just listen- you see, this one has a pun...*slam*... why golly! It was just a knife!” (trombone with cup mute: wah wah wah wah waaaaaaah)

TOM K. and Onearmbladenut like this.
  20. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    Don't give up , they just got started. You might not get one on the first wave ! They should be popping up through the next two weeks. Rendezvous is soon so GEC production is not all together smooth. Rendezvous comes first over normal production. Keep checking all of the dealers , many times through out the day.

EngrSorenson likes this.