Lets talk GEC!

The punch could be the WD40 of knife tools...1001 uses. There’s a new thread in there somewhere! ;)
I think there was a thread like that around the time the 2016 forum knife came out.
UNcdBQV.jpg

Maybe the punch will be to the #29 what a pocket knife is to most people. I know folks that “get by” (if you can call it that) without a pocket knife. I see the value in carrying one everyday because I’ve carried one every day. Maybe if I had a #29 I’d be convinced if it’s usefulness from all the action it sees.

... though now that I think of it, my SAK has a T-handle awl/punch/reamer and that does in my left hand pocket everyday...

... now I need another rationalization... haha

Any ideas on how to remove this contamination/corrosion?
Brand new knife.
I hit it with a squirt of WD-40 and wiped it with a microfiber towel, hoping it was just adhesive. No joy.

i-gS2BDBP-L.jpg
If bought new from a dealer, I would exchange it for a different knife. A new knife shouldn't have that discoloration/corrosion.

Flitz is great, but will remove your etch. This may be the easier way to go if this knife is to be a user.

GEC delivered the missing sheath very quickly. Very nice embossing and good, secure fit.

The H40 is like a super high quality Mora Companion or Garberg with a flat grind, very thin and slicey, 90 degree spine, great size and handle shape, a perfect all around blade for kitchen or bushcrafting.
I really like the cherry wood. Better get one before they disappear. I think mine will be a user.
35198BB9-A042-4F35-AB5A-4BB6733BC488.jpeg FE9FCD7A-2FDC-4F46-A583-1701453D32DE.jpeg 9D5F994A-67DC-4871-842D-D80A7ABCDC17.jpeg 669911BD-273B-413C-A332-7D179F92961D.jpeg

GEC H40119 Hunter - Woodland Muslin micarta

I went with this one. I'm happy with this micarta, it's really nice. I also like the size of this knife. Its plenty big enough and yet not too big. I can see myself using this quite a bit.

So, now I want the antique cherry too. And then both in H30 and H10. I wish I had that kind of money!

GEC_H40_Woodlan_Muslin_Micarta_01.jpg
GEC_H40_Woodlan_Muslin_Micarta_03.jpg
GEC_H40_Woodlan_Muslin_Micarta_02.jpg
GEC_H40_Woodlan_Muslin_Micarta_04.jpg

Great pics, folks!

That micarta looks like it has almost a "soft" feel? And it reminds me of the old Winterbottom bone, very cool.

Brand new knife.
I hit it with a squirt of WD-40 and wiped it with a microfiber towel, hoping it was just adhesive. No joy.

i-gS2BDBP-L.jpg
If it really bothers you and you bought it from a dealer, you can call and find out if you can return or exchange it. (if they have any more in stock) If it's going to be a user, you can use a metal polish like Flitz, but be careful, it will remove the blade etch as well. Another option is to learn to love the patina. ;) Good luck.
Z5qhYPT.jpg

...Another option is to learn to love the patina. ;) Good luck.

Where did you find that case CV 2 blade teardrop w/ wharnecliffe? I have a CV single blade version that makes a good general carving knife. CV sure takes a slightly different patina compared to 1095.

Someone earlier had mentioned a needle-like secondary wharnecliffe for a GEC- I imagine one like that but smaller and I agree it’d be very useful.

Brand new knife.

i-gS2BDBP-L.jpg
Just a suggestion, i have had some success using a hard HB pencil and a pencil eraser. Good luck, looks like a beautiful knife.

Is that patina from your vacation? Looks like you have been putting that beauty to good service.
Not on vacation yet in PEI, couple more weeks for that !
However we have been going most days to the local beach and the 93 Ramsfoot has been there everytime helping with food prep for the whole family :)
This knife is a joy to carry and use :thumbsup:

Back