1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. vintagebob

vintagebob Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will just move this little guy into my growing "user" rotation for now.

EngrSorenson, CelloDan and cudgee like this.
  2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    (I left a message on your profile page.)

Yeah, a Little wharncliffe would make a neat secondary blade. I sometimes carry a #18 Coyote as a secondary knife. Shown with a #14:
    [​IMG]

3. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That's a great pairing.
    That Coyote is amazing with the patina and orange osage. :cool::thumbsup:

cigarrodog and EngrSorenson like this.
  4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks. I like knives with one straight edge and one with belly, so the Coyote makes a good companion knife for single spears or clips:
    [​IMG]
    As you can imagine, the new #29 Whittler in osage orange was very tempting. I ended up reserving the jigged bone, but I may regret not going for osage.

5. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I'm keeping an eye out for that one to pop up.
    I'll see if I decide to get one or not. It kind of depends on the price, my mood at the time, and how much lolly scramble surrounds the knife.

6. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    0A36259C-00E7-49B5-84AF-AAA84F30008C.jpeg

4903CBC4-2C06-416F-8E75-2DE5964D0EE0.jpeg

This is my first Northwoods knife. For some reason, I have never before had the urge to buy one. (Except for the Esky Zulu which must be made on Unobtainium!) However, this one is truly an exceptional knife. The 93 pattern and blade shape fit the Northwoods aesthetic perfectly. The all steel construction was a nice surprise. (No Brass @Will Power !)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    It looks very well in Osage O and with some patina:cool: I've never used my Blackwood Coyote, just can't seem to connect with it, yet I really enjoy carrying the CASE Swayback Gent in Chestnut Bone a lot and that's a small knife too. Different however

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    EngrSorenson likes this.
  8. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Anyone know if the #29s are cam tang, or have a half stop? God bless the distributors, but I’ve been reading conflicting stats. Some places are very prone to pretty obvious copy/paste errors.

9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    It was mentioned somewhere that all three blades have half stops. Grand Prairie Knives has a short video that confirms this. The knife looks absolutely fantastic in that video, by the way.

Fox79, r8shell, tmd_87 and 2 others like this.
  10. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    Is that stuff safe to use on food prep knives?

11. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    @AZCoyote i was wondering a similar thing; I was going to wait and see if @CelloDan stopped responding here one day.

Sure does shine up those GEC blades though!

AZCoyote and blademan 13 like this.
  12. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Hey AZ, the packaging states it is "Non Toxic".

After done polishing with it I followed with a little soak in mineral oil and then a good rub all over with a cloth, so I doubt there is any compound left.
    I would not worry too much about it, but maybe someone else can offer some suggestions ?
    I did noticed that now my knife takes longer to patina from sweat and handling as compared to before.

AZCoyote and JohnDF like this.
  13. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    It’s a paste with a fine grit in it... I wouldn’t squeeze it out on a wheat thin by any means. image.jpg Of course you wipe (polish) off the medium. I use frog lube for general purposes on my blades afterwards, it is supposed to be “safe”

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    AZCoyote, blademan 13, JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  14. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

TOM K., JustinR, AZCoyote and 10 others like this.
  15. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    Wow that’s not good for my checking account

pmek5 likes this.
  16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    That's going to make some people very excited.

MerryMadMonk likes this.
  17. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    The feeding frenzy will be epic.:eek: :D

18. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    It will indeed.

It doesn’t excite me, and there’s not a thing in the world wrong with that. GEC has made a lot of knives I like in the past year; it’s someone else’s turn.

19. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Camel bone on a Northfield? Is that a first? I know GEC does camel bone for NW but I don't remember seeing one on one of their own before. Might just be my memory though.

20. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I'm kind of on the fence about it.
    On one hand I'm excited to see one of the classics come back...
    On the other hand, I had one and let it go. It always seemed like a backwards Trapper to me.
    In fact, I let my son use it once and he kept trying to cut with the dull side of the blade. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    zolthar, btb01, Frailer and 1 other person like this.