Lets talk GEC!

Camel bone on a Northfield? Is that a first? I know GEC does camel bone for NW but I don't remember seeing one on one of their own before. Might just be my memory though.

3ame9SQ.jpg

Certainly
Mm2WwDP.jpg

It’s nothing fancy, just an old advertising knife, but it was my Grandpa’s and it has his name on the other side. He was a farmer in Iowa and it is from a corn seed company.

It shows the pattern does exist and it’s one that I would love to see GEC do.
Here, here!
Very nice :thumbsup:
That gives us some hope. Looks like a very useful configuration. I wonder who made it?

I was able to find that Eureka Jack Calico picture on a dealer website with the end cap, I agree with a few post, no end cap is what I also prefer.

Certainly
Mm2WwDP.jpg

It’s nothing fancy, just an old advertising knife, but it was my Grandpa’s and it has his name on the other side. He was a farmer in Iowa and it is from a corn seed company.

What a great family heirloom!

Certainly
Mm2WwDP.jpg

I would like to see this done by another maker also, even Case.

I have a Rough Rider stockman with a caplifter. They just added the extra tool without deleting the spey.

Certainly
Mm2WwDP.jpg

I’m not a collector, I’m a user and from that perspective find the Crown lifter to be the perfect knife. It’s been in my pocket since I bought it new. It would be nice to see it offered every now and then rather than all these multiple blade options. In the real world the ‘people like to keep one blade for every day use, and another razor sharp for when I need it’ just makes no sense to me. my blade is always sharp, but the screwdriver blade is just the best!

Camel bone on a Northfield? Is that a first? I know GEC does camel bone for NW but I don't remember seeing one on one of their own before. Might just be my memory though.
I'm not 100% certain but a quick search through GEC's production totals show that these #65 Ben Hogans were the first Northfields or GEC knives with camel bone. They're labeled 'Factory Test' as well.
5G717LG.jpg

5WiTpGe.jpg

Can anyone do a comparison shot maybe between a #35 and a #29?

In my mind they are similar, but looking at the blade widths I’m guessing the handle isn’t as deep for the #29; perhaps just as thick and almost the same length.

F flylock thanks for the pictures! It looks like the punch/awl/reamer construction is different between the drover and #29. Does the drover’s punch have the same hollow grind and asymmetric shaping?

After agonizing over the #29 for weeks I think I’m going to have to pass. If money wasn’t an issue I would totally get one. I love how buried the blades are in the wells, the almost sunken joint bolsters and the full length secondaries. That looks like an amazing knife to carry. I’ll probably live with regrets not getting one.

the awl on the 29 is different than the 35's. the 35 has a needle sharp point and its flat. the 29 awl has a curve the whole length of it, that is sharp and the point is a bit less needle like than the 35 but it should be stronger in every day use. I must say that the punchblades on these 2 knives are my all time favorite punches on any pocket knife new or old.

Hey GEC Fanatics,

This is something I've noticed with my (beloved) 06 Pemberton: The blade snaps closed and is centered... but I can nudge the blade towards the pile side and it will fall out of alignment and stay there. Pictures provided below. I've been living with it for months, but it really is distracting to me and doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about this otherwise brilliant knife. Is this something I should consider taking action on? and if so, what would you recommend?

gLCdYIY.jpg

OnfLa0F.jpg

Back