Lets talk GEC!

Hey GEC Fanatics,

This is something I've noticed with my (beloved) 06 Pemberton: The blade snaps closed and is centered... but I can nudge the blade towards the pile side and it will fall out of alignment and stay there. Pictures provided below. I've been living with it for months, but it really is distracting to me and doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about this otherwise brilliant knife. Is this something I should consider taking action on? and if so, what would you recommend?

gLCdYIY.jpg

OnfLa0F.jpg
Send GEC an email see what they say

Hey GEC Fanatics,

This is something I've noticed with my (beloved) 06 Pemberton: The blade snaps closed and is centered... but I can nudge the blade towards the pile side and it will fall out of alignment and stay there. Pictures provided below. I've been living with it for months, but it really is distracting to me and doesn't give me the warm fuzzies about this otherwise brilliant knife. Is this something I should consider taking action on? and if so, what would you recommend?

gLCdYIY.jpg

OnfLa0F.jpg
No. It’s the friction of the kick and the back spring that hold it off center like that. Any that I’ve tried that with will do the same but it’s usually pushing it to center from off center. If that were the case I’d say yeah but if it’s natural position is centered don’t do anything unless there is some wobble in it.

No. It’s the friction of the kick and the back spring that hold it off center like that. Any that I’ve tried that with will do the same but it’s usually pushing it to center from off center. If that were the case I’d say yeah but if it’s natural position is centered don’t do anything unless there is some wobble in it.

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear; the blade wobbles asymmetrically from centered to pile side. I cannot move the blade to the mark side. It’s a pronounced wobble, almost as if the liners are bowed, allowing blade play in the well. All my other GECs will flex in the blade well, but always go back to the regular position.

Does anyone have a guess as to the position of the blades in the upcoming #92 Eureka Jack runs?

I’d prefer spear on the mark side w/ right hand nail nick and coping on the pile side with left hand nail nick.

I’m guessing it will be just like the 2013 run, however, both with right handed nicks.

Does anyone have a guess as to the position of the blades in the upcoming #92 Eureka Jack runs?

I’d prefer spear on the mark side w/ right hand nail nick and coping on the pile side with left hand nail nick.

I’m guessing it will be just like the 2013 run, however, both with right handed nicks.

I have developed a strong preference for the secondary blade on a jack to be on the pile side. That said, I have been waiting quite awhile for GEC to do another run of 92s, secondary market has not been favorable to me in regards to past runs. So, it isn't going to matter much to me, I am quite excited for this upcoming release.

Hey GEC Fanatics,

gLCdYIY.jpg

OnfLa0F.jpg

Mine, 060119, is solid. If I move the blade either way when closed it goes right back to center.

I wonder if they will do a Talon run of the 92s?

,,,Mike in Canada

I doubt it because the Talon was run relatively recently.. and they haven't run both at the same time in the past, and it's not on the production schedule.

Welp, I reserved a jigged bone Tidioute #92- surprising myself. I would have gone for the Northfield camel bone, but at the last minute I didn’t really feel great about the cut swedge on a piercing blade; as if the swedge wouldn’t transition well to the thickness of the long pull region as it plunges into a soft material. I think the Northfields will be handsome, so that was a hard choice.

(If you’re reading this, sorry honey!)

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear; the blade wobbles asymmetrically from centered to pile side. I cannot move the blade to the mark side. It’s a pronounced wobble, almost as if the liners are bowed, allowing blade play in the well. All my other GECs will flex in the blade well, but always go back to the regular position.
Does it wobble when open? Just curious. If it bothers you send it back they should be able to do something about it and if the blade is un-centered when tightened they should be able to re-center it. I take out blade wobble myself but it can take some work to do it right.

The previous ones I’ve seen had the secondary blade on the mark side and I’ve not seen them switch that up, maybe someone else has seen that and can let us know but I’d expect the same configuration as the other ones.

J jsdistin thanks for all of the responses: I always like getting more info so I can make informed choices.

I’m part way through my first slip joint build, and based on how this is going I don’t think there’s anyway I could tighten it up like you probably could.

Honestly it’s the strangest thing- the wobble is ONLY when closed. When I open it, it locks up tighter than your old man’s wallet on a Friday night. It’s almost as if the liner was ground unevenly; not that I know what I’m talking about.

If I had to guess I would say in the open position the joint locks up because of the spring pressure and the two faces meeting up on the tang at right angles. Without that support it’s like the liner might be thinner on one side and there’s some play, if that makes sense.

Back to the #92: if they put the secondary on the pile side I’d be ecstatic. I’m gathering that it’s “more traditional” to have same side pulls on two blade jacks, with the secondary being mark side. I’d just love never having to worry about nick position if I had to file the kick after some many good years of usefulness.

Does anyone get tripped up by the handed-ness of the pulls? I’m so used to my stockman and whittler patterns that I don’t think I notice it. Or for that matter, I don’t think I’ve EVER noticed it. I was one of those “Boy see knife, boy use knife” rascals.

I'd be surprised if they changed it from the spear/coping configuration they've run before. I'd put money on it being the same.

I haven't seen these posted before but I am sure they have popped up somewhere...I enjoy watching the GEC factory tour videos and keep coming back to this one because they spend a pretty good amount of time going over the display cases while Chris answers questions and explains things.

Notable quote from Chris when asked about the scarcity of the Toothpick pattern (at the time the video was taken in 2015) - "We haven't made them since...2012. We'll get back to it eventually, we always do." :) Gonna miss her!

Pt 2

Pt 3

Pt 4

I'd also prefer barehead, wrap around spring, and pile side secondary.

Please elaborate :) I haven't been a part of a naming competition yet.

The forum named the "Drover" the #35 that was a forum knife. There might have been others while I've been around but I don't recall.

Oh, well IIRC Charlie Campagna had a competition for his rag bone TC barlow. There was a competition to name the Drover. And at least one more which I forget. All good fun.

Oh, well IIRC Charlie Campagna had a competition for his rag bone TC barlow. There was a competition to name the Drover. And at least one more which I forget. All good fun.
Sounds fun I'm in :thumbsup:

What’s everyone’s opinion on cut swedges? I only have two GEC’s with them; 141118 and 933119. I think it’s an attractive look, but on the 14 it makes a pretty pokey clip peak with a hard edge. I think it works flawlessly on the Ramsfoot, neither making an uncomfortable rough edge or negatively impacting the function of the knife; it’s not really a piercer.

Conversely, the drawn swedge on my 152118 is flawless and really makes a gorgeous blade shape and comfort in the hand.

Back