Lets talk GEC!

IUJHMCu.jpg

Does GEC make all Maher and Grosh's knives? I just started collecting GEC so I haven't come across them before.

Badum tsssssssss!

That’s some cutting edge pun work.

There’s a number of things at play when it comes to blade excursion. Things like the moment of inertia of the blade, the strength of the spring, the force applied by the spring over the motion of the cam (square or rounded), location of the kick in the closed position relative to the spring pin and the force applied to start the blade into motion.

I understand what you think about the half stop- the right angle on the cam gives it a little more oomph, but depending on all of the above you might find that the half stop kills the momentum of the blade midway through travel. That might help prevent blade rap.

Engineering-wise, it’s a simple mechanism and this could easily be solved using CAD programs, or careful hand calculations using conservative estimates. From a practical stand point it would pňrobably be easier just to assume 2x blade relief in the wells.

There’s other possible fixes: really light and small blades or very strong springs, but without consideration of the other pieces of the puzzle those fixes might not guarantee success.

Side question: how do you cut yourself due to the half stop? Im not saying that I think it’s a huge safety feature, but I’m surprised it makes the knife more dangerous for you.

You have to bear in mind that english gradually became my second second language (should I perhaps just say third?) and I am out of pratice, so my english fails me when I try to explain some more complicated aspects of walk and talk. AND I should think twice before attempting some silly pun as you pointed out. ;-)

When closing a knife with rounded cam I don´t feel there is any momentum of the other than I give it and than maybe the last quarter of the travel. Blade with half stop appears to always want to move in some direction (when not open, closed or in half stop). The spring works first to prevent you from moving the blade from its position only to abruptly aiding that movement.This is no problem if the spring is reasonably strong, like in 15 pattern. But with stronger springs I find it hard to control with my unmanly hands.

I cut myself when opening the blade. If the spring is strong and I do not pay enough attention, or my hands are slippery, the springs yanks the blade from my grip and shoots it between my fingers, tip into my palm. And eventhough I am trying to stop the blade fom uncontrolably opening by resting the back of the blade in the bend of the index finger, it is way to close to the joint to give it effective leverage.
IMG-20190803-074534.jpg

IMG-20190803-074547.jpg

I found out it works for me to hold the knife other way round. This way, should the blade slip my grip, ends the tip on the outside of my hand and more importantly I have much more control of the blade with my index finger being further from the joint.

IMG-20190803-074505.jpg

IMG-20190803-074519.jpg

What a silly discussion this has become. Everyone knows how to open a folder, so let´s just say I prefer smooth opening of the rounded cam because I do not have to be so mindful when ipening or closing the blade.

S SnailOffTheTrail on the contrary! Your pun work as well as your detailed description of knife opening are very welcome. Thanks for contributing! I’m eager to read this again when it is a more reasonable hour for me (3 am, currently).

I realise GEC is going through some transitions at the moment. The photos on the ‘what’s happening’ page seem to have lost a bit of their magic. Just a few too many same same shots. (I may be being a little picky) But it is such a great delight to get just that little tiny hint of what lies in store, its one of the really special things that sets GEC apart.

Hi all. I have a brief moment of wi-fi amidst my vacation, so I’ll chime in.

I almost never carry a knife with a half stop when camping/hiking/backpacking. I personally find half stops to be a liability in terms of safety. Almost all of my small accidental knife cuts over the last ten years have come from either half stops or clip blades with overly upswept tips. Lots of tiny little love bites that didn’t need to happen.

There are exceptions of course. Some knives work out okay with a half stop, such as #43. But I still don’t think the half stop needs to be there. I don’t see the sense in them on a knife blade whatsoever. Totally unnecessary.

I know that lots of people look to them as a sign of quality, but I see them as quite the opposite.

Does GEC make all Maher and Grosh's knives? I just started collecting GEC so I haven't come across them before.

Other than the first 2 large hunters that were made by Queen all new Maher&Grosh have been made by GEC.

My 93 is my only knife with half stop.
I love the "feel" of it's action, the tactile feedback, the soothing , reassuring snap.
However just yesterday ( without even reading this thread) I was thinking about it in terms of knife function and safety and came to realize that half stops have nothing to do with quality or safety. Reading previous comments from people with a whole lot more experience than myself confirmed what I had been thinking about.

I feel safer handing out my case trapper or stockman to my wife or kids as i can tell they can handle the opening/closing more safely.

Still I LOVE the action of the half stop.

Last edited:
Back