Lets talk GEC!

Recently I saw a GEC on bay that had q backspring that stuck up pretty good on full open, so I passed. Is that something GEC can take care of pretty easily?

Recently I saw a GEC on bay that had q backspring that stuck up pretty good on full open, so I passed. Is that something GEC can take care of pretty easily?

My guess is not without at least taking the knife apart. The geometry of the cam (continuous or square) should be even on both sides, so I recon they would have to “massage” the back of the cam. It’s also possible, though slim chances, that dirt or debris got in between the back spring and blade tang.

I don't know how I even got caught up in this conversation but I think people thought I was saying more than I was.

I think it was from not being completely clear. Which is so easy to do in a format like this. I got the feeling from reading your posts that you were turning quality into a black and white issue. That probably wasn't what you intended to say, but that's what I got.

I just received a very disappointing Case single bladed peanut as a gift from my loving mother- proud point, blade rap, the kick grind hit the blade. Tried to sharpen it out... going to try and return it. Really looking forward to the eureka jack now.

@knifeswapper do you take bribes for getting #77’s in less honest ways? Need someone to “go on a long vacation”? Or perhaps have a “problem” that needs “fixed”? I might “know a guy” who would be interested. :D:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, who ever gets one will have to enjoy it x2 for me. Absolutely gorgeous. The African Blackwood was a great call there. It’s the first match strike pull I’ve ever loved.

Edit: Wow those linen micarta handles!!! Holy moly! I can dream.

Last edited:
Boy, every 77 Barlow cover photo looks better than the last. Just when I thought the African Blackwood was the best looking knife the red saw cut bone 77s drop. Cant wait to see those amber saw cut bone 77s.

I can’t believe that no one is commenting on these gorgeous #77’s that they’re posting one day after another. I’m so pleased with that GEC has done on those. Also looks like the #86 will come in at least natural canvas micarta and be called the “Oil Field Jack”. Looking forward to those

That was a fun read- I was getting a knife purchase high just seeing all the excited reactions. I might have missed out but it’s good enough for me just knowing there’s a lot of happy knife people tonight.
Keep your eyes peeled after they start to get to people, some folks sell them near cost or will make trades for them.

I know the 77 medium barlows are very popular. Did GEC ever make a large barlow?

I know the 77 medium barlows are very popular. Did GEC ever make a large barlow?
No 'grand daddy' barlow yet, but the 97s are pretty close. Also the 64 and 65s are similar but with a copperhead bolster. the Madison Barlow (Northwoods) is larger but on a trapper frame.

Does anyone know or have heard if GEC is going to do another run of model 73s? I would love to get my hands on one.

OH MY SWEET GOODNESS THE JIGGED BONE EUREKA JACK IS POSTED!!!!!!!!!!!
GLORIOUS! I’m so happy!!

AND ITS OPPOSITE NAIL NICK!!! just like I wanted!!! Holy moly what a dream come true.

Back