1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    What is the difference between the 23 and the 73?

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  2. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    The 23 is 4.5" closed...the 73 is 3.75" closed :thumbsup:

Onearmbladenut, JohnDF and tmd_87 like this.
  3. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    About 2.5 ounces.

[​IMG]

4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the 92, Buzz. Unfortunately, due to GEC's very annoying practice of split shipping a dealer's orders, I won't see mine until sometime next week perhaps.

It will be my first 92 so I am pretty excited to check it out, I've admired them for awhile now.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  5. Matt Bernier

Matt Bernier

Aug 19, 2017
    Next GEC I buy, no matter how long it takes, is a 35 camp knife. Spear point, long beaked can opener, bottle opener and driver, and awl, with a bail.

One day.

6. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    Thank you gentlemen! I am still hoping for a model 73 sometime in the near future.

Old Engineer and Onearmbladenut like this.
  7. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Now you're talkin’

Onearmbladenut and Matt Bernier like this.
  8. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I think the 73 is one of the best single blades from GEC. Just about the perfect size for me.

9. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    The 73 is such a great knife. I have never handled the Remington bullet knife on which it is based, but visually it seems an improvement over that pattern.

Certainly a classic and deserves to be in everyone’s collection.

10. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    It had been an easy year on my wallet. My only new GEC offering I'd purchased in 2019 was Charlie's wonderful lambsfoot.

But now the house of cards is starting to topple. The elderberry Eureka Jack and micarta 77 Barlow arrived last night. I'm waiting on my green micarta Eureka preorder to come due, as well as the 86 Bladeforums knife, and I'm really liking the design of the 86 jack.

11. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Can't wait for my green micarta eureka it was my only planned knife purchase the rest of the year but I think you talked me into an elderberry with your post in the #92 thread. I'm not a big fan of owning bone but it does look fantastic. Thanks!.......I think. :D

Onearmbladenut and knifethetank like this.
  12. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I'm in for another 73 one blade, even though I don't carry my one and only 73 I think it's a nice EDC size plus it's a great looking knife.

73ws.jpg

13. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    havent been buying many lately, but is the little silica packet thing standard now?

14. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Yes, at first I thought it was a specific dealer, but GEC seems to be putting them in all the tubes now.

mrknife likes this.
  15. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    can someone illuminate me regarding "cyclops knife works"? I see it appears on some of the earlier GEC knives.

Was this just a GEC term (like TIDIOUTE, etc) or was it a dealer SFO?

I heard it was a term they used when stainless steel was used?

not much info available on the internets...

Thanks in advance

16. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Yes, the Cyclops stamp is used on GEC stainless blades.

I think I remember reading that the current GEC building is the old Cyclops steel manufacturing plant.

JohnDF likes this.
  17. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I believe the Cyclops stamp is even specific to 440C stainless, as it is NOT present on 420HC SFO models. And even GEC's own branded 420HC knives are simply stamped SS.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Will Power, Railsplitter and JohnDF like this.
  18. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Thanks 'splitter & mamba.

That's very helpful.

Pretty sure I have a 2007 knife that says "cyclops knife works" but blades are carbon. CKW is etched on the blade but the stamp says "Great Eastern Cutlery - Titusville knife works"

19. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Cyclops Steel Works = 440C
    Titusville Iron Works = 1095
    I've never seen Titusville or Cyclops Knife Works.
    There were a few Farm & Field knives made with O1 tool steel, but I haven't one, so don't know how they were stamped.

JohnDF likes this.
  20. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    The Farm & Field O1 tool steel are stamped "GEC O1 TOOL, TITUSVILLE, PA".

Dan.

JohnDF and L.H.S like this.