1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Dan, I thought it would be different from the others.

2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Ron, I’m pretty sure what you have is a Cumberland Knife Works SFO. CKW was an early dealer for GEC and they were located in Cookeville Tennessee. I quoted the below insert from another thread. I’m sure what you have is similar to what Ed has posted below. :)

Ron Sabbagh, Old Engineer and JohnDF like this.
  3. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I thought I read somewhere on here that they weren’t using the cyclops stamp anymore, but I could be remembering wrong.

4. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I thought I read that too, but when I asked GEC about it they acted like they just hadn't been using it (without any specific reason).

5. Pokerface

Pokerface Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2011

The next GEC I want to buy is from a new batch of Charlie Campagna #85 Real Harness Jack with that awesome punch they had on the existing knives ;)

Travman, Matt_WY and Matt Bernier like this.
  6. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I am ready for some #22 single blades. Some GEC#73s would be great two.

7. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    I wish they made a Sowbelly Stockman

8. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    You mean a GEC Beer Belly 3.88" closed with a cap opener , knife.

Travman, Ripcord 82 and Pinemoon like this.
  9. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Yep,that'll work.

10. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I'm just happy not to chime in anymore about doing another run of 92 Eurekas. :p I think I'm ready for a BIG run of 15 CLIPS! :eek::D

11. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    A #15 clip with a coping secondary would be VERY nice! And while they're at it, add the wraparound spring found on the #92s.

12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Odd that one. But they certainly DID use it and I found it very cool :cool:

[​IMG]

The last knife of theirs that I have that is made of stainless is the 15 Boy's Knife.
    It has the Acorn shield but the Squirrels&acorns etch was replaced by a GEC shield with Practical Knives - not very visually inspiring. The tang has interesting script stamped 'Great Eastern Cutlery Titusville Pa' the other side shows CYCLOPS STEEL WORKS in block caps 151116. That's a 3 year stainless famine for me at least, others have been luckier :)

Thanks, Will

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    wolfeknives, GE Jr and Jak3 like this.
  13. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I might have been unclear there. They didn't act like they'd never used it. They seemed to just not have a particular reason for not using it anymore/recently.

The Special Factory Assembly stainless 74 from this year's Rendezvous has the Cyclops stamp, but the blade is from 2016...

14. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Hope to see a pattern I'm interested in with nifebright - glow in the dark scales.. a short run of 15's would be nice.

15. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    GEC is making some great knives right now but I think I like scoring older GECs more than buying a new one. In their earlier days GEC seemed to do more small runs. You look at those production totals pdfs for each year and some of those have extremely low numbers for some of the covers. When you get one of those it is pretty cool.

For example, this 734112T. I don't have a tube for it so I'm not sure what those covers are, but according to the production totals it could be Cocobolo (5 pieces made) or Ebony Wood (2 pieces made). Either way, their are not a lot of them out there. Even if you add in all the other cover options, there just aren't many of those 73s with a spey blade like that.

[​IMG]

16. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Totally agree about the older ones! I cringe at all the low count knives I sold at a loss way back when...

That kinda looks like one of @knifeswapper SFO's. "The Farmer" I believe with the Spey blade. I know they came in Ebony just not sure if that is one of them. I don't remember what shield it had.
    Very cool!:thumbsup:
    EDIT: I am a little confused though as I bought 3 in Ebony at the same time... they may have been "seconds" so maybe they weren't reflected in the totals?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Norcaldude likes this.
  17. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I have a #92 sitting in my mailbox...
    This is the hardest afternoon at work in a long time.

mb>, Onearmbladenut and Ripcord 82 like this.
  18. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Take 4 deep breaths.

gaj999 and EngrSorenson like this.
  19. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Breathing deeply lets you scream louder. :)

20. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    My 92 went from NC to DC for some inexplicable reason and still hasn't made it's way back to NC yet.