Lets talk GEC!

My 92 went from NC to DC for some inexplicable reason and still hasn't made it's way back to NC yet.
I wanted to like this, in a show of solidarity... but I think disliking would be more appropriate.

Well everyone, I have a razor sharp #92 in my pocket today. It’s a stunner- there’s so much to love about it but I’m going to talk about things I noticed that I don’t usually see with GEC.
1) the coping blade is not well centered, but no collisions, so no problem.
2) the tip of the spear was proud- I had to file the kick before even sharpening it.
3) the jigging (and color) is gorgeous, but there’s lots of pokey/shaggy bits more than usual.
4) the hafting on the end cap side of the back spring is noticeably not perpendicular to the scales/liners.
5) the spear in the closed position has some slight side to side wobble. You can feel a mechanical ‘click’ as it repositions when you grip it and use the secondary. Not nearly as bad as my #06.

Other than these things, she’s a beaut. Opposing nail nicks was a great choice and I love the look and blade combinations. It’s obvious why this pattern is a fan favorite.

The first thing it cut was my finger after sharpening it. With my half stop knives I push it to half stop with my thumb before clearing my fingers out of the way. Works great on all my others except with this one my index finger gets in the way of the half position with my normal grip. Totally my fault. It’s definitely sharp though.

I wanted to like this, in a show of solidarity... but I think disliking would be more appropriate.

Well everyone, I have a razor sharp #92 in my pocket today. It’s a stunner- there’s so much to love about it but I’m going to talk about things I noticed that I don’t usually see with GEC.
1) the coping blade is not well centered, but no collisions, so no problem.
2) the tip of the spear was proud- I had to file the kick before even sharpening it.
3) the jigging (and color) is gorgeous, but there’s lots of pokey/shaggy bits more than usual.
4) the hafting on the end cap side of the back spring is noticeably not perpendicular to the scales/liners.
5) the spear in the closed position has some slight side to side wobble. You can feel a mechanical ‘click’ as it repositions when you grip it and use the secondary. Not nearly as bad as my #06.

Other than these things, she’s a beaut. Opposing nail nicks was a great choice and I love the look and blade combinations. It’s obvious why this pattern is a fan favorite.

The first thing it cut was my finger after sharpening it. With my half stop knives I push it to half stop with my thumb before clearing my fingers out of the way. Works great on all my others except with this one my index finger gets in the way of the half position with my normal grip. Totally my fault. It’s definitely sharp though.

So is your overall opinion good or bad?.... Can you post a pic of the hafting issue?.... I'm not able to visualize what are describing...

So is your overall opinion good or bad?.... Can you post a pic of the hafting issue?.... I'm not able to visualize what are describing...

My opinion is overall good- I love the knife. I suppose I’m a little disappointed, but ultimately I know its not a CNC constructed tool, which I like. I just know what GEC is capable of and it’s probably better than what I got. I’ll try to get a picture up when I get home today.

To try and describe it better, it’s as if the stack was misaligned on the cap end. Think of a stack of quarters where you pushed them out of alignment. If you put the knife on it’s back spring it leans toward the mark side. It’s significant enough that any of us would notice it, but my wife wouldn’t.

I’m not going to return this knife- it’s functional and still leagues better (LEAGUES) than the last Case knife I got. I almost feel bad complaining, because I think I’m jaded on some lucky GEC purchases.

My opinion is overall good- I love the knife. I suppose I’m a little disappointed, but ultimately I know its not a CNC constructed tool, which I like. I just know what GEC is capable of and it’s probably better than what I got. I’ll try to get a picture up when I get home today.

To try and describe it better, it’s as if the stack was misaligned on the cap end. Think of a stack of quarters where you pushed them out of alignment. If you put the knife on it’s back spring it leans toward the mark side. It’s significant enough that any of us would notice it, but my wife wouldn’t.

I’m not going to return this knife- it’s functional and still leagues better (LEAGUES) than the last Case knife I got. I almost feel bad complaining, because I think I’m jaded on some lucky GEC purchases.

Hi E. S...……. I'll be interested in seeing your pic..... Since the backside and the cap end get the entire surface sanded is it more a tilt while the sanding op occurred?...… I have a 29 that the op had a little wrist twist when he/she was sanding the humpback... when you look down at it you can see the apex is skewed to the C/L of the long axis...…...I could fixit by reprofiling that surface, but why bother...……. it hurts nothing and I know a human made my knife vs a 5 axis whiz-bang cnc that craps out a knife every 19.6 seconds 7 days a week...……. 100 years from now very little will be manufactured by humans so we better enjoy it while we can...…..

I'm a huge GEC fan, but sometimes I think some folks are too forgiving. I know, especially from a dealer's perspective, the opposite can also be true (customers too picky). I've had lots of GECs with sharp or rough bone for instance.

Like, it's never occurred to me to check a knife for blade wobble when it's closed. But a proud tip on delivery? I don't want to file the kick on a new knife, so I would return that to the dealer. These aren't cheap knives and we all work hard for our money, so we should be satisfied (within reason, of course ;))

I guess we all have different standards. I have never returned any GEC I've ever bought, so I am probably some combination of forgiving and lucky.

Looking forward to the Forum knife and the Oil Field Jack! :thumbsup:

Yea what pattern will be the Northwoods...is there a 92 Northwood?

My educated wild a$$ guess is the 86 - based only on what I interpreted as clues during the 93 run and now during the 86 run. Having said that, I am wrong at least as often as I am right ...

My money is on the 92! What are your thoughts everybody?!

giphy.gif

Single clip point #92 in two different micartas, jigged bone, and mammoth?!

I am going with the #86. The hefty frame with a sabre ground sheepsfoot just screams “Northwoods”. These 86’s will rock if they dial up the pull to about an 8 and give them some serious snap.

I am going with the #86. The hefty frame with a sabre ground sheepsfoot just screams “Northwoods”. These 86’s will rock if they dial up the pull to about an 8 and give them some serious snap.
Ohhhh yea! That sounds nice too.

My money is on the 92! What are your thoughts everybody?!

My educated wild a$$ guess is the 86 - based only on what I interpreted as clues during the 93 run and now during the 86 run. Having said that, I am wrong at least as often as I am right ...

Using context clues, I'd guess 77 or 92. They don't really make the Northwoods before the normal runs.

I think they said the forum knife would be the only one with a sheepsfoot. Maybe a Sabre ground clip?

Back