Lets talk GEC!

Got my 92 in OD Green today. Love it. I wasn't originally interested in this pattern but after all the hype on this forum, I thought why not? I'm glad I picked one up.

92-od-green.jpg

Great choice, nice pic :thumbsup:

I’ve got 5/7 GECs that don’t wobble when closed- particularly good examples, too! A 152118, 141118, 2x 933119 and a 351217. I expect the blade to flex, but this kind of movement I’m experiencing is actual tang repositioning. I even have case knives that don’t do that, and we all know how their quality control is these days.

I don’t challenge your experience, merely that I’ve had a different experience, or perhaps that we’re talking about two different things.

So are you saying the blade wobbles when closed?

That's interesting, I don't think I've ever made a point to check for that. But I also have to make a conscious decision to check for blade wobble in general and I usually do so when I plan on writing some semblance of a review. I only have one GEC out of many that exhibits blade wobble but it also has a loose cover on the mark side. I'd say that particular knife was a swing and a miss for their QC.

So are you saying the blade wobbles when closed?

That's interesting, I don't think I've ever made a point to check for that.

I didn’t notice it myself until, while holding these knives, I felt the tang kick slip of the back spring. The Pemberton only does it in one direction, too, and so much that the blade will contact the liner.

I know people moan and complain about all kinds of stuff, but I’m this case I think my complaint is legitimate. My theory is that this is not a typical experience.

I didn’t notice it myself until, while holding these knives, I felt the tang kick slip of the back spring. The Pemberton only does it in one direction, too, and so much that the blade will contact the liner.

I know people moan and complain about all kinds of stuff, but I’m this case I think my complaint is legitimate. My theory is that this is not a typical experience.

I would certainly agree. Flex is one thing but substantial movement is quite another. I think it is curious that it wobbles only when it is closed though, I am trying to think about what might cause that.

I would certainly agree. Flex is one thing but substantial movement is quite another. I think it is curious that it wobbles only when it is closed though, I am trying to think about what might cause that.

That does sound interesting. I would think they would want to see that.

I've posted these pictures before, but here's my pemberton, one pic just after closing the blade, and the next pic is after applying a slight pressure to side of the blade. You'll notice how the blade now remains in a new position afterward. I've never had this experience before. Both knives lock up beautifully and have zero blade play in the open positions.

gLCdYIY.jpg

OnfLa0F.jpg

I have a Buck that has that same behavior when the blade is closed, but it locks up completely tight when open. I guess it never really bothered me too much since in use it is rock solid. Be interested to hear the explanation.

I've posted these pictures before, but here's my pemberton, one pic just after closing the blade, and the next pic is after applying a slight pressure to side of the blade. You'll notice how the blade now remains in a new position afterward. I've never had this experience before. Both knives lock up beautifully and have zero blade play in the open positions.

I have some theories, but they are just that. I expect you are simply pushing hard enough that you are causing movement not only at the tip of the blade - but forcing movement all the way back to the kick. This is causing a tiny movement in the kick against the backspring which you can feel and it holds it in place until opened again. Slipjoints are made to have a tight joint in the open position considering the full contact of the tang in the open position. This is why most blades can be moved in closed position much easier than in open position. This is also why if a blade is lazy; it is usually lazy opening but may very well have snap closing. The kick is not moving off the backspring, it is simply being pushed hard enough to cause any movement at the kick - which is noticeable to you.

I vote for not pushing the blade off center when closed as the fix ;)

knifeswapper knifeswapper

It happens just from being in my pocket, let alone deliberate attempts to move the blades. If it only happens on 2 out of the 20 odd traditional folders I have, I’m guessing it’s not my hulk-like finger strength.

I’m telling ya- I’ve used knives all my life and never seen one behave like this. I even tried really cranking on my 152118 and couldn’t get it to budge.

It took a while and two emails, but I got a response from GEC. I’m very concerned that it’s not going to be covered under warranty, judging from Joan’s response.

I am not surprised by her response. I don’t expect the blades on any of my knives to resist pressure if I try and move them off centre when in the closed position.

That's fantastic that you were able to scoop one up! In regards to Possum vs. Dixie, my decision came down to the shield. The Dixie had the cooler shield, in my opinion, plus I didn't have a GEC stockman yet at the time. That said though, you can't go wrong with either.
Full disclosure I have a Dixie in stag and the possum in micarta already and enjoy them both alot. I agree with you the bomb shield is very cool. So my decision process went down like this, I'm getting a bomb shield on the forum knife so that itch is covered. The 78 has the Tidioute shield so the UnXlD (don't have one of these) shield will be a nice compliment. The thin frame on the possum is so nice in the pocket. Finally with the frequency or infrequency that GEC does patterns I have been wanting to pick up another 82 before they are gone, it is a pattern I enjoy. So with all that said I have an elderberry possum Skinner on the way.

I have a small CRKT slip joint that had the exact same problem, no blade play when open but lots of play when closed. I ended up putting the knife in a vice while closed and tightening around the pin. After a few adjustments blade play was significantly reduced.

I have a small CRKT slip joint that had the exact same problem, no blade play when open but lots of play when closed. I ended up putting the knife in a vice while closed and tightening around the pin. After a few adjustments blade play was significantly reduced.

I’m hoping GEC has a way to fix it like that (but perhaps with more finesse), because I hate the sound of the blade contacting the liners just from normal handling.

Back