1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 44 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)
  3. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Great choice, nice pic :thumbsup:

2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    So are you saying the blade wobbles when closed?

That's interesting, I don't think I've ever made a point to check for that. But I also have to make a conscious decision to check for blade wobble in general and I usually do so when I plan on writing some semblance of a review. I only have one GEC out of many that exhibits blade wobble but it also has a loose cover on the mark side. I'd say that particular knife was a swing and a miss for their QC.

3. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I didn’t notice it myself until, while holding these knives, I felt the tang kick slip of the back spring. The Pemberton only does it in one direction, too, and so much that the blade will contact the liner.

I know people moan and complain about all kinds of stuff, but I’m this case I think my complaint is legitimate. My theory is that this is not a typical experience.

4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I would certainly agree. Flex is one thing but substantial movement is quite another. I think it is curious that it wobbles only when it is closed though, I am trying to think about what might cause that.

5. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    That does sound interesting. I would think they would want to see that.

6. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I've posted these pictures before, but here's my pemberton, one pic just after closing the blade, and the next pic is after applying a slight pressure to side of the blade. You'll notice how the blade now remains in a new position afterward. I've never had this experience before. Both knives lock up beautifully and have zero blade play in the open positions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Sure has been quite in the "what's happening" photos :) Wonder what they have brewing in the background!

8. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    I have a Buck that has that same behavior when the blade is closed, but it locks up completely tight when open. I guess it never really bothered me too much since in use it is rock solid. Be interested to hear the explanation.

9. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    I have some theories, but they are just that. I expect you are simply pushing hard enough that you are causing movement not only at the tip of the blade - but forcing movement all the way back to the kick. This is causing a tiny movement in the kick against the backspring which you can feel and it holds it in place until opened again. Slipjoints are made to have a tight joint in the open position considering the full contact of the tang in the open position. This is why most blades can be moved in closed position much easier than in open position. This is also why if a blade is lazy; it is usually lazy opening but may very well have snap closing. The kick is not moving off the backspring, it is simply being pushed hard enough to cause any movement at the kick - which is noticeable to you.

chisumr and gaj999 like this.
  10. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I vote for not pushing the blade off center when closed as the fix ;)

JohnDF, Ramrodmb, KP and 5 others like this.
  11. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Hopefully not rugs or flashlights!

waverave and pmek5 like this.
  12. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    @knifeswapper

It happens just from being in my pocket, let alone deliberate attempts to move the blades. If it only happens on 2 out of the 20 odd traditional folders I have, I’m guessing it’s not my hulk-like finger strength.

I’m telling ya- I’ve used knives all my life and never seen one behave like this. I even tried really cranking on my 152118 and couldn’t get it to budge.

Travman, cbr1000 and knifeswapper like this.
  13. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    It took a while and two emails, but I got a response from GEC. I’m very concerned that it’s not going to be covered under warranty, judging from Joan’s response.

14. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I am not surprised by her response. I don’t expect the blades on any of my knives to resist pressure if I try and move them off centre when in the closed position.

15. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Being a hand done manual process, I would expect that having a perfectly perpendicular bolster would be the rarity.

Cutfinger, willc, Ripcord 82 and 4 others like this.
  16. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    They need to let the left hand guy do it for a while, then pass it to the right hand guy.... The pressure should even out if their skill levels are comparable.

btb01, Cutfinger, jrawk and 11 others like this.
  17. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    That’s what they’re doing but they flip it upside down when they hand it over.

Kiro and Rose and Thistle Custom like this.
  18. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Full disclosure I have a Dixie in stag and the possum in micarta already and enjoy them both alot. I agree with you the bomb shield is very cool. So my decision process went down like this, I'm getting a bomb shield on the forum knife so that itch is covered. The 78 has the Tidioute shield so the UnXlD (don't have one of these) shield will be a nice compliment. The thin frame on the possum is so nice in the pocket. Finally with the frequency or infrequency that GEC does patterns I have been wanting to pick up another 82 before they are gone, it is a pattern I enjoy. So with all that said I have an elderberry possum Skinner on the way.

Pàdruig likes this.
  19. Country_Squire

Country_Squire

Apr 7, 2019
    I have a small CRKT slip joint that had the exact same problem, no blade play when open but lots of play when closed. I ended up putting the knife in a vice while closed and tightening around the pin. After a few adjustments blade play was significantly reduced.

20. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I’m hoping GEC has a way to fix it like that (but perhaps with more finesse), because I hate the sound of the blade contacting the liners just from normal handling.