Lets talk GEC!

I have an AG Russell that the blade flops around inside the well when closed but is tight as a drum when open.
None of my Case or GEC knives have this problem.
Hope GEC can fix it for you.

8QhDmQm.jpg

Being a hand done manual process, I would expect that having a perfectly perpendicular bolster would be the rarity.
And did you see how old some of the GEC employees that are still working for him? There is no doubt that wobble will be introduced into the buffing operation. Heck, I'm 72 and I am lucky if I can get my coffee cup to my mouth without spilling it.

And did you see how old some of the GEC employees that are still working for him? There is no doubt that wobble will be introduced into the buffing operation. Heck, I'm 72 and I am lucky if I can get my coffee cup to my mouth without spilling it.

Yeah the hafting on the knife isn’t great, but it’s not the killer for me. With age (time and experience) comes wisdom though, so I’m sure they could cook up some country solution if they wanted to! The hafting on my other GECs is flawless, so I’m not willing to blame the older folks yet. And for what it’s worth I’m 33 and I can’t get coffee to my mouth every time- usually ending up with some on my work attire.

I used to go to a barber who was in his 80s. When he shaved my sideburns and neck, he used a straight razor. His hand would shake like a leaf as the blade approached me, but as soon as he made contact he was steady as a rock. Never drew a drop of blood. Nearly a flood of urine, but no blood. :)

The late-20's / early 30's guys that were doing the final fit finishing when we were there in August would probably take offense to this conversation :D
And they didn't really look like the type of corn-fed boys I would want offended...

G1EkPNP.jpg

All my point was, is that it is done by hand. Which is one of the reasons I buy GEC. Being done by hand leaves open the possibility for variations, which is one of the reasons I buy GEC. These men and women are craftsmen that do wonderful work, which is one of the reasons I buy GEC. :D

I used to go to a barber who was in his 80s. When he shaved my sideburns and neck, he used a straight razor. His hand would shake like a leaf as the blade approached me, but as soon as he made contact he was steady as a rock. Never drew a drop of blood. Nearly a flood of urine, but no blood. :)
lol,your ending cracked me up.

G1EkPNP.jpg

All my point was, is that it is done by hand. Which is one of the reasons I buy GEC. Being done by hand leaves open the possibility for variations, which is one of the reasons I buy GEC. These men and women are craftsmen that do wonderful work, which is one of the reasons I buy GEC. :D
Same here,because a bit of personality goes into every knife they make by their own hands,not robots.

I have had a lot of GECs (not as many as many have, but a pretty good sample size) and I don't recall ANY having blade play when closed. Certainly a tip can be wiggled side to side a bit from blade flex, but there's a very clear difference between flex and blade wobble. I had to send back a Case Barlow that had so much wobble that it would move from one liner to the other. Again, it's not forcing the blade side to side, it's light pressure moving the blade side to side and it not bouncing/moving back (as a knife that was just flexing would).

Totally different topic: could anyone with experience with the #12 Templar send me a pm or something?

I have had a lot of GECs (not as many as many have, but a pretty good sample size) and I don't recall ANY having blade play when closed. Certainly a tip can be wiggled side to side a bit from blade flex, but there's a very clear difference between flex and blade wobble. I had to send back a Case Barlow that had so much wobble that it would move from one liner to the other. Again, it's not forcing the blade side to side, it's light pressure moving the blade side to side and it not bouncing/moving back (as a knife that was just flexing would).

It’s nice to know I’m not crazy!! I’m a true GEC fanboy, though and through, and I don’t mind if some mistakes get made, but this phenomenon I’m experiencing is preventing me from even feeling like carrying the knives effected.

Now if GEC would just get back to me. 3 days and no disposition as to the validity of my warranty claim, merely an email asking where I bought the knives, if I had the tubes and what the 6 digit knife numbers were. I of course responded as quickly as possible. I thought I’d heard their customer service was better than this.

I’m not having the warm fuzzies here.

It’s nice to know I’m not crazy!! I’m a true GEC fanboy, though and through, and I don’t mind if some mistakes get made, but this phenomenon I’m experiencing is preventing me from even feeling like carrying the knives effected.

Now if GEC would just get back to me. 3 days and no disposition as to the validity of my warranty claim, merely an email asking where I bought the knives, if I had the tubes and what the 6 digit knife numbers were. I of course responded as quickly as possible. I thought I’d heard their customer service was better than this.

I wouldn't worry. I am sure they are looking into it and will soon get back to you.

In the past I've always found it most expedient to call. Well, actually it's best to stop in person, but that can be difficult haha

Did you notice this wobble before carrying / using the knives? It can definitely develop over time.

GEC warranty can take some time. I have only sent one knife in for warranty work. ( GEC 15 single spear, blade touching liner) it took over 3 months to get the knife back. Knife was returned to me with a centered blade. That same knife now has a uncentered blade again. :(

Back