Lets talk GEC!

I mostly carry a single blade knife.
It's pretty much all I need in this day and age of E-Z Open packaging and twist off caps.
So I figure, why carry all that extra weight when all I really need is a cutting tool.
I usually have a Gerber Shard in my watch pocket if anything unexpected pops up.

Having different blades all housed in different handles would surely load down your pockets considerably more.

it is historically and contemporarily obvious that different blade sizes and shapes are meant for different types of cutting tasks. Why carry multiple knives when one can carry one knife with multiple blades?
but personally, I don't need multiple knives to weigh me down, that's my point, I've never said, oh man I need a different blade. thats why im asking, in this time in history, why do you feel you need multiple blades? how do you use each? ive heard the dull blade debate, I keep my knife sharp. ive heard, well what if you break a blade?, you have an extra ready to go. other than a utility blade, or an x-acto ive yet to break one...

but personally, I don't need multiple knives to weigh me down, that's my point, I've never said, oh man I need a different blade. thats why im asking, in this time in history, why do you feel you need multiple blades? how do you use each? ive heard the dull blade debate, I keep my knife sharp. ive heard, well what if you break a blade?, you have an extra ready to go. other than a utility blade, or an x-acto ive yet to break one...
Different blade shapes are better for different types of cuts.

I'm still stuck on the "extra weight" comments...

How much does one more blade and spring weigh?

Enough to slow you down or hinder daily progression???

:confused:
do
I'm still stuck on the "extra weight" comments...

How much does one more blade and spring weigh?

Enough to slow you down or hinder daily progression???

:confused:
you are stuck on the weight issue! im saying a screwdriver or awl is more useful than an extra blade ill never use.

That's the great thing about pocket knives. There's a style, blade configuration, material, etc...that fits just about anyone's needs.

I carry what works best for me, and sometimes change it if I expect something will necessitate a different knife on that particular day.

I expect everyone else to carry what suits them best. I'll make a recommendation if asked, or if I think someone would truly love a certain knife, but really have no need to question what other folks think is best for them. I think it's just great when someone carries a knife (especially a traditional) at all.

Different blade shapes are better for different types of cuts.
thats what im asking, how do you use the diff blades?
ive yet to encounter a situation where I couldn't get it done with the blade in my pocket. im not arguing guys. I said I find the Caplifter to be a perfect knife, its just my opinion based on my use. sell me on multiple blades...

im saying a screwdriver or awl is more useful than an extra blade ill never use.
I'll agree with that.

On my two blade traditional knives I tend to use the straight (coping, sheepsfoot, etc.) for opening boxes, packaging, tape, that type of stuff...

I use the clip/spear blade for food.

But that's all really semantics for me...

I also carry a locking folder, a fixed blade, and a multitool on my person everyday.

That's the great thing about pocket knives. There's a style, blade configuration, material, etc...that fits just about anyone's needs.

I carry what works best for me, and sometimes change it if I expect something will necessitate a different knife on that particular day.

I expect everyone else to carry what suits them best. I'll make a recommendation if asked, or if I think someone would truly love a certain knife, but really have no need to question what other folks think is best for them. I think it's just great when someone carries a knife (especially a traditional) at all.
all of that is true, and I agree with you. it would just be nice to see GEC offer more utilitarian knives with diff features, other than multiple blades. I love to see more screwdrivers offered, the awl is very useful as well

A punch is good at making a hole, a straight edge, like a sheepsfoot, for making cuts like slicing through leather atop a workbench. A blade with belly is good for general cutting tasks, a caplifter is good at prying, personally, I like a spey for opening boxes, others use it for a specific task related to steers.

To my mind this is yet another senseless argument over other people’s’ preferences except the OP seems to think his way is the only real way. Such statements can verge on trolling. I don’t like that.

if one wants to carry a Buck 110, a screwdriver and an awl, fine. Just don’t tell me I’m wrong (or somehow a little dense) for preferring my stockman.

I like carrying a 2 bladed, single spring knife best. One blade for food and the other for all other cutting tasks. And being on a single spring it stays light weight and slim. The 82 possum skinner seems to come with me most often.

To my mind this is yet another senseless argument over other people’s’ preferences except the OP seems to think his way is the only real way. Such statements can verge on trolling. I don’t like that.

if one wants to carry a Buck 110, a screwdriver and an awl, fine. Just don’t tell me I’m wrong (or somehow a little dense) for preferring my stockman.
I said "I prefer", "my opinion" I asked a question, calm down.

I said "I prefer", "my opinion" I asked a question, calm down.

Who are you telling to calm down? Nobody has said anything that would indicate they are anything but calm.

It sounds like you might be better served with some other type of knife than what GEC makes and sells.

No, I don’t have to stuff my feelings because you don’t like it.
And, from your declarations above and others not quoted, like “sell me” on multiple blades, you have indeed been bitten by the argument bug. There have been many postings that describe how multiple blades can be effective and desirable. None of which seemed to have made a difference. So, what is the purpose of continuing this discussion? Do you see any advantages for others using multiple bladed knives?

Who are you telling to calm down? Nobody has said anything that would indicate they are anything but calm.

It sounds like you might be better served with some other type of knife than what GEC makes and sells.
I am responding to 'Mayonardo'.
I like how folks pile on without following the OP. I said the cap lifter, Made by GEC, is probably the best pattern they made. I wish they would make more with that kind of utility!

I carry multi blade knives because I like them. I see the benefit of having two blades. Just because you haven't broken a blade doesn't mean it can't happen, it just means it hasn't happened to you. The odds that you break one are super low so you are probably fine with your preferred single blade. In my mind though it is when you are in a bad situation and need a blade the most is when things like blades break. I don't put myself in those types of situations, however that is why they are called emergencies. Also a two blade knife fits my hand better than a thin one. Oh and I I just like them.

Back