Lets talk GEC!

im a craftsman, all I need is one blade, its a tool, the screwdriver is extremely useful to me as well. I am not a collector but do have a few GEC knives, and will probably unload most because I find the cap lifter is the one I actually use.
what do you feel is the benefit of having multiple blades in one knife? all I see is redundancy and extra weight in my pocket.

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual user's preference so I can only speak to what I value in a multi-bladed knife.

I grew up with slipjoints as a boy, as a young man and into much of my adulthood, I carried a single bladed modern folder. I used that knife for just about everything and one could argue that nothing else was needed. Truth be told, any one of us here could get by with one knife, one blade, etc.

But in the end, we are knife enthusiasts and as we have such a variety of blades to experience and collect, we often find ourselves in the company of numerous knives, far more than we could ever possibly "need".

Since I have been carrying traditional slipjoints again, my preferences have evolved. Aside from the single bladed Lambsfoot, my favorite variant is a 2-bladed Jack, with a spear or clip main and a coping secondary. The traditional Stockman pattern is usually one blade two many as I never have had much use for the spey blade. My dad carried a Stockman usually and he would use each blade until they broke and when they all were rendered ineffective, he went and got himself a new knife.

But I digress somewhat...

Blades are generally purpose built. Straight edged blades like Sheepfoot, Lambsfoot, or wharnecliffe excel at fine cutting work, some food prep, and are unmatched in package handling. Spears and Clips are great for heavier cutting work, more food prep, and overall cutting tasks.

Could I get by with just one of these blades on a knife? Absolutely! But I am a big proponent for having the right tool for the job and having access to blades that are better at certain tasks than others is the sheer beauty of carrying a traditional slipjoint with multiple blades.

This one I just got epitomizes an ideal configuration.

dNbbYQf.jpg

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual user's preference so I can only speak to what I value in a multi-bladed knife.

I grew up with slipjoints as a boy, as a young man and into much of my adulthood, I carried a single bladed modern folder. I used that knife for just about everything and one could argue that nothing else was needed. Truth be told, any one of us here could get by with one knife, one blade, etc.

But in the end, we are knife enthusiasts and as we have such a variety of blades to experience and collect, we often find ourselves in the company of numerous knives, far more than we could ever possibly "need".

Since I have been carrying traditional slipjoints again, my preferences have evolved. Aside from the single bladed Lambsfoot, my favorite variant is a 2-bladed Jack, with a spear or clip main and a coping secondary. The traditional Stockman pattern is usually one blade two many as I never have had much use for the spey blade. My dad carried a Stockman usually and he would use each blade until they broke and when they all were rendered ineffective, he went and got himself a new knife.

Blades are generally purpose built. Straight edged blades like Sheepfoot, Lambsfoot, or wharnecliffe excel at fine cutting work, some food prep, and are unmatched in package handling. Spears and Clips are great for heavier cutting work, more food prep, and overall cutting tasks.

Could I get by with just one of these blades on a knife? Absolutely! But I am a big proponent for having the right tool for the job and having access to blades that are better at certain tasks than others is the sheer beauty of carrying a traditional slipjoint with multiple blades.

dNbbYQf.jpg
Thank you. Well said. I know the OP took exception to my responses and if they were inappropriate I apologize. In my defense I will note that after a few years moderating a ten thousand registered users gun forum I may be a little too sensitive to what I might perceive as trolling.

S Stratkat

I most often carry a eureka jack. It suits my needs as an "everyday carry" more than any other knife for a few reasons.

The main blade is useful for most utilitarian tasks. Cutting rope, cutting up old clothes into rags, cutting food, cutting weeds, making hotdog sticks, and several other things that I cannot come up with, nor choose to lengthen this paragraph with.

The small coping blade is a great little slicer. I open mail, plastic packaging, pull splinters, release zip ties (so I can reuse them), any fine trimming needed - such as the cut end of plastic pipe, etc.

I know I could get by with one blade for all of those tasks, but it just wouldn't be as practical.

Now, a blade combination similar to what I described above is ideal for me. It doesn't HAVE to be on a Eureka, but I love the looks, shape, and size of that pattern.

For me personally, I hardly ever use the caplifter. I don't drink enough to make it useful, and almost everytime I "need" a screwdriver, it's a tiny Phillip's head to open the battery door of a kid's toy. THAT would be a useful addition as a 3rd blade for me on a GEC.
6CD4vTT.jpg

dNbbYQf.jpg
now that is nice knife, remove the spear point add a cap lifter and it would be perfect.. oh wait.

S Stratkat

I most often carry a eureka jack. It suits my needs as an "everyday carry" more than any other knife for a few reasons.

The main blade is useful for most utilitarian tasks. Cutting rope, cutting up old clothes into rags, cutting food, cutting weeds, making hotdog sticks, and several other things that I cannot come up with, nor choose to lengthen this paragraph with.

The small coping blade is a great little slicer. I open mail, plastic packaging, pull splinters, release zip ties (so I can reuse them), any fine trimming needed - such as the cut end of plastic pipe, etc.

I know I could get by with one blade for all of those tasks, but it just wouldn't be as practical.

Now, a blade combination similar to what I described above is ideal for me. It doesn't HAVE to be on a Eureka, but I love the looks, shape, and size of that pattern.

For me personally, I hardly ever use the caplifter. I don't drink enough to make it useful, and almost everytime I "need" a screwdriver, it's a tiny Phillip's head to open the battery door of a kid's toy. THAT would be a useful addition as a 3rd blade for me on a GEC.
6CD4vTT.jpg
the thing about the screwdriver is I use it for all kinds of things, it excels as a small scraper, I also actually use it for straight slot screws, scribing, plowing a small groove.

Ah...

But the spear on the 92 spreads peanut butter like a champ!

:D

I imagine it does. But you know what REALLY spreads peanut butter like a champ? A butter knife... :D Sorry, couldn't resist (right tool for the job and all).

I do like the recent run of 92s for much the same reason. Big spear main and and keen coping secondary. Hard to beat that.

u13AXQv.jpg

Thank you. Well said. I know the OP took exception to my responses and if they were inappropriate I apologize. In my defense I will note that after a few years moderating a ten thousand registered users gun forum I may be a little too sensitive to what I might perceive as trolling.

I definitely get it, it can be difficult sometimes to ascertain one's motivations, especially by way of text. I've found the way to best combat perceived trolling is to either simply ignore it (they go away as you've denied them their fun) or you respond in the complete opposite manner than they might have been seeking to incite (also denying them of their fun). In the latter case, if they aren't trolling, then they should be appreciative of your thoughtful response - or at least, one can hope.

In this case, I am just thinking there is a breakdown in regards to conveying one's preferences in a more diplomatic manner.

I imagine it does. But you know what REALLY spreads peanut butter like a champ? A butter knife... :D Sorry, couldn't resist (right tool for the job and all).

Nah...

The smaller overall length of the #92 makes it much more maneuverable and agile...

Thus leading to the perfect, yet elusive, serpentine spread pattern.

You know I'm right.

S Stratkat

6CD4vTT.jpg

What is the wood on that top right 92? It has lovely figuring.

What is the wood on that top right 92? It has lovely figuring.
Hey Joshua,
That would actually be black & white buffalo horn. I think my lack of photography skills, and the bright sunlight makes it look different in that photo.

It's the top right in this shot. I prefer the looks of the one 4th from the left, top row. Same material, just more striping.
jzsod3V.jpg

Hey Joshua,
That would actually be black & white buffalo horn. I think my lack of photography skills, and the bright sunlight makes it look different in that photo.

It's the top right in this shot. I prefer the looks of the one 4th from the left, top row. Same material, just more striping.
jzsod3V.jpg
Wow, it really looked like wood in the sunlight. Both of them are quite nice! Do you prefer the coping blade behind the main or in front on your 92s?

I do like the recent run of 92s for much the same reason. Big spear main and and keen coping secondary. Hard to beat that.

u13AXQv.jpg

I definitely get it, it can be difficult sometimes to ascertain one's motivations, especially by way of text. I've found the way to best combat perceived trolling is to either simply ignore it (they go away as you've denied them their fun) or you respond in the complete opposite manner than they might have been seeking to incite (also denying them of their fun). In the latter case, if they aren't trolling, then they should be appreciative of your thoughtful response - or at least, one can hope.

In this case, I am just thinking there is a breakdown in regards to conveying one's preferences in a more diplomatic manner.

Wow! Reallnice stag on that 92!! Also, great photo as usual.

I'm enjoying the lively banter of this thread today! In regards to the question, I typically only use the main blade on my knives but in the past few years have started to prefer 2 blade knives because of the added girth in hand.

This will probably make a few people cringe.... for the most part, even though I always have a pocket knife on me, I typically use a $15 fixed blade utility knife to cut with and I abuse it hard. In fact, a few people I know have taken to using utility knives because you can treat them horribly and then just put in a new blade, no sharpening.

Personally, I don't care for the cap lifters at all. I've had several of them but I end up using my wife's fancy wine key instead. I also own at least 20+ screwdrivers and find that they work better than just about anything else. *For loosening and tightening screws that is.

I think it's great that everyone here has their 'favorite'. No need to have blade shapes and styles justified in order to like them. The fact that someone likes it is justification enough.

Wow, it really looked like wood in the sunlight. Both of them are quite nice! Do you prefer the coping blade behind the main or in front on your 92s?

Ultimately, I'm fine with either configuration, but I do prefer the coping to be in front of the spear.

It's probably because I became used to it being there on my 2013 models, but I like how I don't have to reposition the knife to open the secondary blade (also part of the reason I overall prefer 2 bladed jacks). I completely understand how the coping obscures part of the nicks & pulls, but I guess that never affected me.

I also prefer the aesthetics of the coping blade in front.

But again, it's all splitting hairs. Both are fine by me!

Nah...

The smaller overall length of the #92 makes it much more maneuverable and agile...

Thus leading to the perfect, yet elusive, serpentine spread pattern.

You know I'm right.

Well, to be fair (queue Letterkenny chorus), you aren't wrong. But what happens when you begin to reach towards the bottom of the jar? :eek: I can't stand gumming up my knives with sticky stuff...

Wow! Reallnice stag on that 92!! Also, great photo as usual.

I'm enjoying the lively banter of this thread today! In regards to the question, I typically only use the main blade on my knives but in the past few years have started to prefer 2 blade knives because of the added girth in hand.

This will probably make a few people cringe.... for the most part, even though I always have a pocket knife on me, I typically use a $15 fixed blade utility knife to cut with and I abuse it hard. In fact, a few people I know have taken to using utility knives because you can treat them horribly and then just put in a new blade, no sharpening.

Personally, I don't care for the cap lifters at all. I've had several of them but I end up using my wife's fancy wine key instead. I also own at least 20+ screwdrivers and find that they work better than just about anything else. *For loosening and tightening screws that is.

I think it's great that everyone here has their 'favorite'. No need to have blade shapes and styles justified in order to like them. The fact that someone likes it is justification enough.

Thank you, my friend.

There is a lot of stuff in your post that I relate to and respect, particularly your last statement, which I set in bold.

I know plenty of folks, particularly those who work in construction or some sort of trade, that rely on utility knives. The name says it all - utility, and nothing is more utilitarian than slapping a new blade on your knife when you beat the crud out of the old one.

I have one GEC with a caplifter, a Radio Jack and though I love the knife, I find that I don't use it much. I have a caplifter built into my bar at home and so the Radio Jack sees little use.

I love the Beer Scouts though and would love to hunt one down in Red Sawcut. Every day, I carry one of the GEC 15s on a chain. It is attached to my jeans. Though it isn't the first knife I go to when I need to cut something, it is always there if I happen to forget my primary cutting implements - which happens on occasion. If I were to get a Beer Scout, I'd put that chain on it instead of the single blade 15 it currently is on. I'd make a guess that I'd use a caplifter far more if that were the case when I am out and about.

Back