Lets talk GEC!

WOW GUYS, check out the F&F version of the pocket carver!!! Thats gorgeous!!!

On my GECs, if it’s going to be a user, I sharpen it once on my KME. I consider “a” knife to be “my” knife once I put my edge on it. After that it’s just maintenance which usually means stropping once a week. I’m in an office, not on a farm.
Fixed blades sometimes need a touch up on a stone. Stropping doesn’t generally get me where I need to be after cleaning hogs. They tear up blades as bad as they do crops.
Maybe I should go for some of that super steel on my hunting knives. :D

View attachment 1266495
How did you pose that picture without waking him up?

It may not but it is a pattern. They are the flagship models correct? Makes sense they run them back to back. It's all speculation obviously.

I hope you're right. I don't want a #23, but #74... Yes!

The 74 is a gem. :thumbsup:

33346174285_d111e08547_b.jpg

There's some excited chatter over in the 62 thread.
I found it too late- looks like my notifications give up on me after a certain amount of time. I’m pretty excited, though I must admit hearing the possibility of a catch bit was a bit of of a turn off. Pun most definitely intended.

edit: I was confusing a catch bit with a stop pin. Why do they call it a catch bit if it doesn’t catch anything? https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-is-a-catch-bit.699278/

Last edited:
I found it too late- looks like my notifications give up on me after a certain amount of time. I’m pretty excited, though I must admit hearing the possibility of a catch bit was a bit of of a turn off. Pun most definitely intended.
As an enthusiastic whittler, I will be needing some kind of loan to get me thru this carver run.

I am thanking my lucky stars I have no interest in the 23s whatsoever.

I'm excited. I have both Tidioute and 2 micarta reserved. :D:D:D
I hope hope hope these will be good carvers. I am very optimistic they will be.
I have been stalking the CK early reserve site, refreshing often for approximately the last 3 days or whenever those Carvers were announced.

So, of course, the reserve opens up when I am driving on an icy highway. Still, it was hammer down and get home!

Got my reserves in and am one happy camper. :thumbsup: The edges will probably need a bit of thinning out, but I bet they'll be good working knives.

I have been stalking the CK early reserve site, refreshing often for approximately the last 3 days or whenever those Carvers were announced.

So, of course, the reserve opens up when I am driving on an icy highway. Still, it was hammer down and get home!

Got my reserves in and am one happy camper. :thumbsup: The edges will probably need a bit of thinning out, but I bet they'll be good working knives.
I just pulled over to the side of the road.

I read the thickness of the secondary blade stock somewhere and can't remember now. Let me see if I can find it. But needless to say they are starting with very thin stock.

Found it

This is the response I got when I asked for thin blades.

"tang is .058" and from what I see bypassing those babies should take care of the rest."

Back