Lets talk GEC!

Since everyone is doing a forecast on GEC's announcement, I'll get some skin in the game too....
If there is a user/collector ratio analysis on GEC knives I've never seen it... I think the collector side of the ratio will be adversely affected by the change... I think the user side of the ratio will be unfazed....
The average Joe wanting to buy a knife to cut something isn't going to spend $100+ to buy a GEC ..... Special events, yes, i.e. graduations, etc.... The average guy will spend $35.00 at Walmart for a knife to cut something ....
But collectors will spend asinine amounts of money to buy something that is unique and collectable..... Quality, uniqueness, limited qtys are what gets collectors (me) to open their wallets... I could care less if they cut or not as I have a couple beater knives for users....
There is an old story about Clyde Barrow... When asked why he robbed banks, he replied "Because that's where the money is".... I guess time will tell whether GEC's decision found the money....

Initially I thought this was just in celebration of Independence Day, but now I am wondering if it’s a nod at independence from SFOs :eek:

Are people offended by the Declaration of Independence?
Hmmm, Interesting take.
It seems like a lot of people are offended by anything patriotic.
Not trying to get political, it just seems to me that the people who appreciate quality knives tend be different than the population at large.

Hi, just a few words from the other side of the ocean.

I won't talk about production, marketing or business because I've absolutely no knowledge in these fields .
Knives, like watches, are totally no use today . The majority of the world lives perfectly without it .
So if we have a watch or carry a knife it's for other reasons .

Personally I have discovered GEC with Charlie @waynorth . I have appreciated the quality of the tool but also ( mainly?) the design, the fact that Charlie has re-created objects from the past, objects full of memories with a great historical knowledge . I was perfectly satisfied by my fantastic Italian knives or very good French knives .
But I use and I sell Waynorth knives because there is something more .

To my opinion GEC is a very good knife company but you can find a lot of very good knife companies all around the world . But you won't find these SFO and what their creators put in, their identity .

My 2 cents .

Â

Nice!!
It seems like the type of people who buy GEC knives aren't offended by this type of thing. Wonder why that is?

Initially I thought this was just in celebration of Independence Day, but now I am wondering if it’s a nod at independence from SFOs :eek:

Are people offended by the Declaration of Independence?

Some probably are. But we can't talk politics here!

Hmmm, Interesting take.
It seems like a lot of people are offended by anything patriotic.
Not trying to get political, it just seems to me that the people who appreciate quality knives tend be different than the population at large.

There is no political talk allowed here, that is correct. Talk all you want about GEC and their business decisions but you can't bring governmental discussion in here.

Hi, just a few words from the other side of the ocean.

I won't talk about production, marketing or business because I've absolutely no knowledge in these fields .
Knives, like watches, are totally no use today . The majority of the world lives perfectly without it .
So if we have a watch or carry a knife it's for other reasons .

Personally I have discovered GEC with Charlie @waynorth . I have appreciated the quality of the tool but also ( mainly?) the design, the fact that Charlie has re-created objects from the past, objects full of memories with a great historical knowledge . I was perfectly satisfied by my fantastic Italian knives or very good French knives .
But I use and I sell Waynorth knives because there is something more .

To my opinion GEC is a very good knife company but you can find a lot of very good knife companies all around the world . But you won't find these SFO and what their creators put in, their identity .

My 2 cents .

Â
Well said. :thumbsup:
(But I disagree about watches and knives being useless. I don't wear my watches for decoration, I check the time on my wrist watch --not smart watch-- multiple times a day. And I use my knives multiple times too. :) )

Well said. :thumbsup:
(But I disagree about watches and knives being useless. I don't wear my watches for decoration, I check the time on my wrist watch --not smart watch-- multiple times a day. And I use my knives multiple times too. :) )
Not useless, not essential. I would venture to guess is what he meant.

I think the user side of the ratio will be unfazed....
I'm hoping it will be of a benefit to the "users". ;)
I'm hopefully imagining a day where I can walk in to my local sporting goods store and find a few GEC knives to try out. I'm also looking forward to the day where I can buy a used GEC for a reduced price. I've always scratched my head at the practice of buying a new GEC, dropping it in your pocket, using it every day for a year, and then selling it for a profit. I think the SFO collector market drives up the prices across the board. I've even seen GEC distributors selling regular production knives at auction on The Bay. It's gotten kinda silly if you ask me.

ZeCUayC.jpg

Nice!!
It seems like the type of people who buy GEC knives aren't offended by this type of thing. Wonder why that is?

Its 4th of July weekend...don't look for boogeymen.

Yes, you are probably right. I have noticed my children don't wear watches--they check the time on their phones! But I do think knives are an essential tool. That's why I always carry one. And I like nice ones!
A well built, sharp pocket knife is essential in my book as well. I am always shocked when I run into a grown man that does not have one.

... I've always scratched my head at the practice of buying a new GEC, dropping it in your pocket, using it every day for a year, and then selling it for a profit. ...
I agree with you on this, John... it always strikes me as crazy when I see it! I've only sold a couple. Both were used and in great condition, but I priced them (down) accordingly. Maybe I'm the crazy one!

Back