Lets talk GEC!

That looks even more convincing. I‘ve tried to make two parallel lines along the liners to show the unique geometry of the asymmetric grind on the master blade. Krinked blades show the same spine thickness, but a cant in angle near the tang. Note how the #35 shows variable spine geometry, with the secondary side having a drastically different grind to accommodate the secondary blade. For me, this and the divided two spring Whittler represent that pinnacle of knife design.
Edit: thanks again for humoring a guy who spends way too much time over analyzing knife design.
2XZVypc.jpg
Thanks for doing that! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Those lines make it much easier to see what’s going on.:cool:

That looks even more convincing. I‘ve tried to make two parallel lines along the liners to show the unique geometry of the asymmetric grind on the master blade. Krinked blades show the same spine thickness, but a cant in angle near the tang. Note how the #35 shows variable spine geometry, with the secondary side having a drastically different grind to accommodate the secondary blade. For me, this and the divided two spring Whittler represent that pinnacle of knife design.
Edit: thanks again for humoring a guy who spends way too much time over analyzing knife design.
2XZVypc.jpg
Well, it looks like yours?
View attachment 1372552

Random question for anyone who is paying attention and may know...what is the deal with the "Factory Test Runs" from 2010-2011? Were those the precursor to the PPP stamp? Seems like maybe a short-lived period where a few knives were released before the production run...but not sure. I've seen a 33 with that etch but its not listed in the production totals as a test run.

That was back when they were still trying new materials. They may have 20 knives leftover and would try 4 different woods or such on them. Similar to a "Prototype"; except for minor variations (slabs mainly) and a handful instead of one or two. Most all had a detailed COA on the back of the tube.

Got the AMKCA 2020 club knife and Shaner Sportsman's Club knife at the meeting yesterday:

qQf7r5bl.jpg

They're both beautiful. Was able to get the same serial number on the Shaner as my other Shaner from last year, the only 2 so far. It looked like some of the AMKCAs had proud tips, but the one I got is really nice.

AND BILL PINNED THE BEAR SHIELD!!!!! :D:D:D

I brought up pinning the shields about 10 times in meetings and probably called Bill 3 times and talked to him in person about it at least twice.

I'm literally gonna write a letter thanking him and everyone at GEC.

AND BILL PINNED THE BEAR SHIELD!!!!! :D:D:D

I brought up pinning the shields about 10 times in meetings and probably called Bill 3 times and talked to him in person about it at least twice.

I’m missing something here... doesn’t he always pin the shields?

I think there’s something in the order of the steps with the relieved shields and smooth handles that makes it more difficult to pin the shields so they don’t. Kind of like how with the pocket carvers it seemed unlikely that they would have printed shields but they did anyway. It was an extra more difficult step. I forget the specifics but there were some posts about it a while back. Sounds like it was with the cripple creek.

JohnDF JohnDF & J jsdistin thanks for the info! All of my Case knives with glued shield have lasted, and we can bet their quality control is less than GEC’s. I’d have a lot of faith in any shield GEC glued. Though, good on Mr. Howard for doing B B.F.U s knives the hard way to please his customers. I sure like the idea of pinned shields myself, even if there’s been no impact to me personally by using glue.

if that doesn’t give us reason to have faith in the guy with all these business changes, I don’t know what does.

JohnDF JohnDF & J jsdistin thanks for the info! All of my Case knives with glued shield have lasted, and we can bet their quality control is less than GEC’s. I’d have a lot of faith in any shield GEC glued. Though, good on Mr. Howard for doing B B.F.U s knives the hard way to please his customers. I sure like the idea of pinned shields myself, even if there’s been no impact to me personally by using glue.

if that doesn’t give us reason to have faith in the guy with all these business changes, I don’t know what does.
I have Case blue medium stockman that I lost the shield from, now it just collects dust b/c I'm too OCD to carry it that way and too lazy to figure out how to get it replaced. Imho those glued shields by Case are a big strike against Case.

In my discussions with him about it he made it clear that he prefers to pin them if possible.

He glued them in on the Cripple Creek #14s. :(

Yep. The Cripple Creek and AMKCA shields are very similar and almost for sure made by the same person / outfit. AMKCA had several of their club knives made by Bob Cargill of Cripple Creek, hence the similarity.

I think there’s something in the order of the steps with the relieved shields and smooth handles that makes it more difficult to pin the shields so they don’t. Kind of like how with the pocket carvers it seemed unlikely that they would have printed shields but they did anyway. It was an extra more difficult step. I forget the specifics but there were some posts about it a while back. Sounds like it was with the cripple creek.

Pretty much.

So two main things with these raised / 3D shields;

1) The curved shape of the face makes it more difficult to weld the pins on because the field can wobble during the process.

2) The finishing process for all cover materials involves polishing, to varying degrees, and that polishing could erase the features of the shield.

You can tell a difference between the shield from last year and this year’s from polishing, but I like the look of the lightly polished one better.

DUGHex3.jpg

Interesting the orientation difference in the beaver and the bear. The bear looks more natural to me.

Random question for anyone who is paying attention and may know...what is the deal with the "Factory Test Runs" from 2010-2011? Were those the precursor to the PPP stamp? Seems like maybe a short-lived period where a few knives were released before the production run...but not sure. I've seen a 33 with that etch but its not listed in the production totals as a test run.

Darren @waverave - Here is an example of a "Factory Test Run". There were only 29 made and it was an SFO for knifeswapper knifeswapper at Collector Knives with later productions called "Bull Nose" It used 01 Tool Steel and was the first Sodbuster style knife by GEC.

FcBn9bf.jpg

paA5wUP.jpg

The Beaver tail on the shield always points towards the butt of the knife, to mimic the actual Beaver tail.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I really like the beaver shield, just never noticed the orientation until seeing the two next to each other.

Back