1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
  2. BDubbs

BDubbs Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2020
    Mustard and ketchup....

Lander boy Matt likes this.
  3. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I love beer scouts
    I have a beard
    I have hair that requires a comb

I thought this was a joke until I read the comments.
    I think the comb is a bad idea. I’d never use it. 2 blade with the comb delete and I’d love it.

That being said I’m still going to buy one.

tmd_87, Sabercat and Scott J. like this.
  4. BDubbs

May 25, 2020
    Based on what the used nitebrites are going for..you're right on the money.

5. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I think I want one... yeah, I want one.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    sitflyer, EngrSorenson and tmd_87 like this.
  6. Stratkat

Stratkat

May 16, 2019
    Nah, take as many as you want!!

7. RickNB

RickNB

Jul 15, 2020
    On reflection, without the comb, I can see it. But even if it’s really a beer comb, not a beard comb, it makes no sense in 1095.

bbk357 and sitflyer like this.
  8. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Different strokes for different folks I guess . Just not mine .

Harry

9. BDubbs

May 25, 2020
    I will be equally surprised if it shows up with or without the comb. I’ve only seen photos of 2 blades. Im in either way and it will be an awesome bar knife. Certainly nothing to riot over...at the end of the day it’s just a pocket knife and 99.9999999% of the population think we are way too serious about them.

ArchVV, EngrSorenson and tmd_87 like this.
  10. rbeggs

rbeggs Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Makes sense to me especially since there is a tooth sticking out the end of it to rest on the edge of the glass as you rake the suds off.

tmd_87 likes this.
  11. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    [​IMG]

EngrSorenson and rbeggs like this.
  12. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    The disappointment I feel with this knife on the 35 frame is that it’s such a missed opportunity for GEC to make a cool knife that I really want to use and carry - a new classic. Opportunity lost.

It’s disappointing to think we could all be sharing experiences using that type of knife in all sorts of great outdoors and working environments. Instead we get knives like the odd calf pen, the too big texas cattle knife and its variants, endless leather punches in a world that has moved on from leather, bail and chain. These are often cool knives in their own right, but lack a little functionality that could be added with some tweaks. In other words, if GEC is set on making odd patterns and variations (and I hope they continue to) I would really like to see some variations based on functionality to balance out the whimsy.

upload_2020-8-1_14-15-52.jpeg

GEC has the ability to make cool and practical variations on this type of knife and I really hope they do.

Anyway, just my thoughts, probably too much given there is so much to be positive about regarding GEC, I’ll close up on the negativity now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  13. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I’ve seen beer combs before, and they are as pictured a couple posts above. It’s like a spatula. I don’t understand why such a device needs teeth, so I believe it’s a comb intended for hair. The only thing I could think to use it for would be straining mixed drinks, but even then if you’re making drinks in a shaker you already have that functionality.

KnifeandEasy likes this.
  14. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    How do you know they are not making this knife? A 35 stock knife?

All you know is that they are making a beer and sausage knife with a beard comb(yes it's a beard comb and not a bar spatula).

Last Friday they put up three photos and everyone went crazy. This Friday the post one knife they are going to make, nothing more nothing less, and everyone is going crazy.

If you want to be mad at Bill Howard be mad because he is an expert at yanking your chain or be mad at yourself for allowing him to do it.

I'm waiting for the production schedule to be updated before I say anything for certain from GEC.

15. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Bill Howard can do whatever he wants, it's his company and his knives sell out like hot buttered popcorn on movie night. the customer has the ultimate say by purchasing, or looking the other way. I get the feeling he could polish a turd and folks would buy it...

16. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Ah what covers will be on the Northfield turd?

17. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    you’re on to something there! If we want a standard knife maybe we could give our money to Queen... oh wait, I mean Camillus... ah, damn... I mean Schrade... Er.. wait... how about Case? Yeah... Case... and hope for that 1-in-5 knife that’s decently put together.
    GEC is still in business and producing quality, so I’ll give Mr. Howard leeway todo projects he might personally want to do. If suffering through a #35 beer and sausage knife is what it takes to get me my next, well loved GEC then so be it!

sitflyer and dantzk8 like this.
  18. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    this warranted its own post:
    LMAO :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    I’m dying!!!!

19. BDubbs

May 25, 2020
    What kind of turd spear or sheepsfoot?

sitflyer likes this.
  20. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    This is the first time a BF post actually made me laugh out loud. @Jiki is a witty Whittler!