Let's talk Northwoods

I figured with the recent Northwoods discussion that it would be nice to have an ongoing thread like the "Let's talk GEC" thread to discuss past knives, upcoming knife plans, and to speculate/ fantasize on future runs.
I don't have my one and only Northwoods on me at the moment, but I look forward to seeing y'alls.

Here's my one and only.

Really looking forward to the next releases. I had to fight myself not to get the Bear Lake. If I'd gone to the store when the had the stag in stock I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Really hoping the reissue the Michigan Jack and do another red sawcut bone. Or I can catch one in the exchange.

Oh, good thread topic. My Northwoods thoughts of the day are what blade with the upcoming Hawthorne have and what happened to the Bark River friction folder. I'm guessing spear for the Hawthorne (prior run clip and bohncliff), and maybe some major issue with the friction folder?-- just a guess because proto photo's were out quite a while ago.

I like mine. The Hawthorne should be interesting as well, especially if they have a few in mammoth.

_DSC2101_zpsqhykalrm.jpg

Let's hope that the upcoming Hawthorne has an interesting blade and scale combos! I would be on board for my first Northwoods in that pattern.

The hawthorn is definitely an eye catching pattern, but it's just a tad to large for me.
One pattern I would absolutely LOVE to see is the bear lake flipped upside down. A spear on the narrow end and a coping on the broader end, because as far as I can tell that pattern is a Northwoods exclusive.
Unfortunately a while back Tyler(I think) said that the two blade Northwoods were slow movers, so they were focusing on single bladed models.

EDIT: it occurred to me that my fantasy knife is backwards. :eek:
I meant to say basically the bear lake(as it was released) with a coping on the narrow end.

Oh, good thread topic. My Northwoods thoughts of the day are what blade with the upcoming Hawthorne have and what happened to the Bark River friction folder. I'm guessing spear for the Hawthorne (prior run clip and bohncliff), and maybe some major issue with the friction folder?-- just a guess because proto photo's were out quite a while ago.

Apparently the bark River folders have been "in the works" for about ten years, so I'm not holding my breath anymore. I recently did a search on the topic which brought up ancient threads on the issue.

Last edited:
my madison barlow's starting to take on a good patina after a few cuts of meat.

16797014_10103728252523855_1889040457307932983_o.jpg

the northwoods i'm hoping for is a forest jack -- would love a bohncliffe in that size!

I forgot I have photos of my one and only Northwoods, the presidential in ebony.
i9gGb0X.jpg

That knife got carried just about everyday for a year. It is the knife that got me interested/ obsessed with traditionals and ultimately two blade patterns with a straight edge secondary.
I have since polished the knife up. Here's a more recent picture.
TCOIcro.jpg

I don't carry it much anymore ever since I've started shying away from folders >3 3/4", but it is still a lovely knife. I would go bananas for a 3.5" version!

The only Northwoods I own are Madison Barlows; both one and two blade versions. One is in elephant ivory. The users are jigged bone which I honestly prefer.

can anyone enlighten me on the differences, if any, between the gladstone-manufactured models and the gec-manufactured models?

Ernie, that's a beautiful Norfolk!
I really wished I had pulled the trigger on a Norfolk in either configuration. I was browsing them a while back and so close to pulling the trigger on one. Now that regret has set in they are nowhere to be found. The standard two blade Norfolk is the only Northwoods I regret not getting. Those slanted and pinched bolster were just perfect!

Can't say that I'm a fan of the knives branded as 'Northwoods' by KSF and made by GEC. Dave Shirley had a vision for these knives. He wanted them to be a tribute to blademaster William Scagel. The recently branded knives are just GECs with slightly different scales and an arrowhead.

I treasure the two Dave Shirley era Northwoods folders I own. I kick myself for not buying a couple of the fix blades back then, after Dave passed away.

Last edited:
+1 and with a higher price point.

Of course, Dave Shirley's Northwoods knives weren't custom Scagels either. Those go for Big Bucks. But at least Dave tried to put Scagel elements in his line of knives, to honor that knifemaker. IMO now they just use the brand for marketing purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back