Let's talk Northwoods

I ended up with a giraffe bone.
northwoods-coolidge-jack-giraffe-bone-A-71__59893.1559765304.jpg
northwoods-coolidge-jack-giraffe-bone-A-71__59893.1559765304.jpg

Last edited:
I kept going back to one green giraffe bone that looked like a cucumber it was awesome. I got one because I have never even held this pattern before and have no clue if I’ll like it. I think I’ll know instantly.

bbk357 bbk357 that's a good looking one. I like the matching two tone covers :thumbsup:
Thank you, I can’t wait to see them in person.
I was surprised to see that kudu bone was more expensive that’s giraffe.

I had a bear lake kudu bone. Was a wonderful piece too, the bone was translucent with a honeycomb effect when the light hit it. I talked myself into selling it because of the small size. Put a check mark by that one for a regretful sale.
g3RR5tc.jpg

Managed to get a giraffe and a kudu. Tried for a nice green giraffe, but lost it last minute. Not even sure what the final colors were that I got. So a little extra surprise.

Threw in a black micarta to match my 14...

Managed to get a giraffe and a kudu. Tried for a nice green giraffe, but lost it last minute. Not even sure what the final colors were that I got. So a little extra surprise.

Threw in a black micarta to match my 14...

A black micarta Coolidge?
Was there different patterns in the factory seconds area?

It is hard to reason out why Northwoods would change much of anything they do when their knives consistently sell out within minutes. I didn't buy (or even try) any of this run, but I think they look great and I like the fact that Northwoods has an iconic look to them. I have a big bay and I don't have any problems cutting things with it. The saber grind and forge finish make for an established brand look and feel. Even the cover choices being repetitious isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes variety is the spice of life, but sometime you want the same thing that has always brought you satisfaction.

The saber grind and forge finish make for an established brand look and feel.

They've done plenty of knives without those though. The Esky Zulu, Madison Barlow, Indian River Jack, Presidential, Norfolk, Norfolk Whittler, Willamette Whittler. All those are still very desirable by collectors and don't have the saber grind or forge finish.

It is hard to reason out why Northwoods would change much of anything they do when their knives consistently sell out within minutes. I didn't buy (or even try) any of this run, but I think they look great and I like the fact that Northwoods has an iconic look to them. I have a big bay and I don't have any problems cutting things with it. The saber grind and forge finish make for an established brand look and feel. Even the cover choices being repetitious isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes variety is the spice of life, but sometime you want the same thing that has always brought you satisfaction.
Agreed

They've done plenty of knives without those though. The Esky Zulu, Madison Barlow, Indian River Jack, Presidential, Norfolk, Norfolk Whittler, Willamette Whittler. All those are still very desirable by collectors and don't have the saber grind or forge finish.
I hear ya, Norcaldude Norcaldude . I've owned a lot of Northwoods over the years. I really love KSF and what they've done for the hobby. But I gotta say...almost all of my saber Northwoods end up getting passed along to others through sale or trade. There are a couple of notable exceptions, but, really, it's those with the full flat grinds that stay in my collection and in my pocket...Madisons, Eskys, Willamettes. As other stated, the sabers look really cool. BUt they just don't do it for me in use and, slowly, work their way out of my collection.

Last edited:
I love this current Northwoods offering. That blade and that handle are a perfect match to my eyes. Nice handle materials, too. Congrats, to all the new owners! Looking forward to chicken-eyeing and coon-fingering mine.

Agreed. Northwood's vision since Derrick's untimely passing has been lacking.
There seems to be a lack of understanding here. J Rouch, the current CEO of KnivesShipFree, had worked closely with Derrick on the Northwoods brand for years. He took over complete responsibility for the Northwoods brand well before we lost Derrick. He and Derrick also happened to be best friends. It was a shared vision and I don't think you'll find anyone more passionate about that vision than J. Rouch.

Sure, and those sell out fast as well. I just think that there’s no good reason to complain about a lack of variety. The recent Madison Barlows were flat ground and fully finished. It just seems worthless to say (not that you said it) that Northwoods is losing touch with collectors or being too one dimensional. The jigged cherry wood was something different in this run even if not what everyone wanted.

Plural Eskys in your collection? What are you going to do with plural Eskys? That's borderline hoarding! Check out my .sig for an easy way to avoid becoming an Esky hoarder! :p
He’s not the only one with plural Eskys(Denim and Black Micarta). They cost me dearly on the secondary.

Back