Let's talk Northwoods

Got lucky.

northwoods-ocoee-jack-giraffe-bone-30-1.jpg

northwoods-ocoee-jack-giraffe-bone-back-30-2.jpg

I’m not a big giraffe fan but you got a sweet looking knife Chief

I thought you weren't able to buy more than one of the same handle material. Did they ship both?

I played by the exact same rules as everyone else and no, I didn't have anyone help me.... it was just me and my phone, heart pounding and fingers twitching. The rules stated 'one handle material PER ORDER' not per person or address. I somehow managed to place two separate orders, both of which were on the same account, same payment method, and yes they shipped both.

Not a lot of sympathy for someone who got 2 when so many got 0.

Understandable. Never asked for sympathy. Simply made a statement that I liked a different knife.

Why would you post this?

Didn't realize i was rubbing your face in it. Seemed like the place to talk about Northwoods and what we thought about the latest run.

My sentiments exactly... Just like you tell the kids at suppertime; "No second helpings until everyone gets a first serving"...

I'm not sure where I asked for sympathy?!

A lot of hurt feelings here about not being able to get something so highly coveted and I completely understand that. I have missed out on a LOT of these types of releases for a myriad of reasons, sometimes just being to slow on the go. It's just the way it is. BTW, there are several folks in this thread who managed to get two also.

I suppose my post was a bit insensitive but I'm not going to apologize for that. It's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Congrats to everyone who got one and everyone else, win some, lose some, better luck next time.

Just an observation, not saying that your purchases were not legitimate. Heck I know of one individual that bought 4. Which I personally think is a bit excessive, however still legit. Just saying consider your audience.

I know that I feel very fortunate everytime I am able to land a knife from the dealer in this crazy hobby. Also I did get on of the iron wood versions so I am not upset.

I played by the exact same rules as everyone else and no, I didn't have anyone help me.... it was just me and my phone, heart pounding and fingers twitching. The rules stated 'one handle material PER ORDER' not per person or address. I somehow managed to place two separate orders, both of which were on the same account, same payment method, and yes they shipped both.

Understandable. Never asked for sympathy. Simply made a statement that I liked a different knife.

Didn't realize i was rubbing your face in it. Seemed like the place to talk about Northwoods and what we thought about the latest run.

A lot of hurt feelings here about not being able to get something so highly coveted and I completely understand that. I have missed out on a LOT of these types of releases for a myriad of reasons, sometimes just being to slow on the go. It's just the way it is. BTW, there are several folks in this thread who managed to get two also.

I suppose my post was a bit insensitive but I'm not going to apologize for that. It's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Congrats to everyone who got one and everyone else, win some, lose some, better luck next time.

I wouldn't worry too much. Every coveted release tends to enflame the feelings of disappointment which is entirely understandable. At the risk of delving too much into discussing order processes, I'll share a bit of a story.

Last year, when Mike ran his NF 77 SFO, he used a lottery system. I was only interested in two of the four cover options. One of the two I wanted was saved for the final drawing. Naturally, I tried for all four variants with the idea that I could use the two less desirable covers for trade fodder should I miss out on the ones I favored.

I ended up scoring 3 out of 4, with the two I favored being among them. I let the third go at the price I paid later on. I refrained from sharing that I had such good fortune due to the sentiment that folks wanted it to be limited to 1 per household.

In the end, I ended up with two I really wanted and I was able to provide someone who had originally missed out altogether with one.

I have no guilt and neither should you.

You're not rubbing my face in anything...I was lucky enough to place an order for one. Crazy that you were able to order 2 Giraffe covers during that scramble. Hopefully you can make someone's day on the exchange.

I suppose my post was a bit insensitive but I'm not going to apologize for that. It's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Congrats to everyone who got one and everyone else, win some, lose some, better luck next time.[/QUOTe

Well, everyone looks at things differently... I have missed out on numerous Northwoods drops and came away empty handed.... I got one yesterday and I'm happy.... I actually had time to try for a second knife (different handle like the RULES state)..... But I said no, because I'll let it lie for someone who hadn't got one.... But that's me and I don't have any regrets or apologies either...

Getting one, not getting one...I’ve been on both sides of the equation. Used to bother me a great deal, but not anymore. History has now taught me that if I missed out, but really wanted the knife, there will eventually be an opportuniy to get it. My wish is that everyone who missed this time, gets lucky the next time.

As an aside, I think the cover choices on this drop were excellent.

Last edited:
As an aside, I think the cover choices on this drop were excellent.

Agreed. There was a consistent pattern for a while of the burlap, red, black micarta. Both the bovine options were interesting colors with a texture and then a new micarta, a wood and a fancier giraffe with all kinds of variation. Hope they keep switching it up. I think it helps them support being the "premium" brand that can demand higher dollars. (not saying they are more premium, just that it helps the marketing/image)

Agreed. There was a consistent pattern for a while of the burlap, red, black micarta. Both the bovine options were interesting colors with a texture and then a new micarta, a wood and a fancier giraffe with all kinds of variation. Hope they keep switching it up. I think it helps them support being the "premium" brand that can demand higher dollars. (not saying they are more premium, just that it helps the marketing/image)
Great choices this round! Can't wait for more pix

already showing up on the well-known auction site --$450 for a giraffe anyone?
Using KSF's copyrighted pics even, they didn't pull them fast enough

Sabercat Sabercat mine is #30. Sorry you got cart nabbed, has happened to me more than once. I liked the blue sawcut, but didn't waste time when the giraffe appeared. Grabbed the first one I liked and checked out asap.
Thanks for the reply chief! That's a nice one.

Yep, getting "nabbed" is just part of the cost to play. Not that I enjoy it, but I do accept and understand it, and have no hard feeling towards those who were quicker on the draw.

Tracking says mine will arrive Tuesday, and I'm very excited to see it in person. I've had several Northwoods, but this will be my first giraffe bone.

Thanks again!

It's called Karma. Like how some people don't pick all the wild berries to leave some for our wild companions in life...and Karma can be a bitch baby :)

Back