1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's talk Northwoods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by SadSappySucker, Feb 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    My sentiments exactly... Just like you tell the kids at suppertime; "No second helpings until everyone gets a first serving"...

bax229 likes this.
  2. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I’m not a big giraffe fan but you got a sweet looking knife Chief

Onearmbladenut and Chief like this.
  3. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I played by the exact same rules as everyone else and no, I didn't have anyone help me.... it was just me and my phone, heart pounding and fingers twitching. The rules stated 'one handle material PER ORDER' not per person or address. I somehow managed to place two separate orders, both of which were on the same account, same payment method, and yes they shipped both.

Understandable. Never asked for sympathy. Simply made a statement that I liked a different knife.

Didn't realize i was rubbing your face in it. Seemed like the place to talk about Northwoods and what we thought about the latest run.

I'm not sure where I asked for sympathy?!

A lot of hurt feelings here about not being able to get something so highly coveted and I completely understand that. I have missed out on a LOT of these types of releases for a myriad of reasons, sometimes just being to slow on the go. It's just the way it is. BTW, there are several folks in this thread who managed to get two also.

I suppose my post was a bit insensitive but I'm not going to apologize for that. It's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Congrats to everyone who got one and everyone else, win some, lose some, better luck next time.

4. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Just an observation, not saying that your purchases were not legitimate. Heck I know of one individual that bought 4. Which I personally think is a bit excessive, however still legit. Just saying consider your audience.

I know that I feel very fortunate everytime I am able to land a knife from the dealer in this crazy hobby. Also I did get on of the iron wood versions so I am not upset.

5. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I wouldn't worry too much. Every coveted release tends to enflame the feelings of disappointment which is entirely understandable. At the risk of delving too much into discussing order processes, I'll share a bit of a story.

Last year, when Mike ran his NF 77 SFO, he used a lottery system. I was only interested in two of the four cover options. One of the two I wanted was saved for the final drawing. Naturally, I tried for all four variants with the idea that I could use the two less desirable covers for trade fodder should I miss out on the ones I favored.

I ended up scoring 3 out of 4, with the two I favored being among them. I let the third go at the price I paid later on. I refrained from sharing that I had such good fortune due to the sentiment that folks wanted it to be limited to 1 per household.

In the end, I ended up with two I really wanted and I was able to provide someone who had originally missed out altogether with one.

I have no guilt and neither should you.

6. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Beautiful! I may have been too slow for this one in my cart...is it #49 or #79 perhaps?

7. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    You're not rubbing my face in anything...I was lucky enough to place an order for one. Crazy that you were able to order 2 Giraffe covers during that scramble. Hopefully you can make someone's day on the exchange.

8. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018

9. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Getting one, not getting one...I’ve been on both sides of the equation. Used to bother me a great deal, but not anymore. History has now taught me that if I missed out, but really wanted the knife, there will eventually be an opportuniy to get it. My wish is that everyone who missed this time, gets lucky the next time.

As an aside, I think the cover choices on this drop were excellent.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. Kiro

Kiro Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Agreed. There was a consistent pattern for a while of the burlap, red, black micarta. Both the bovine options were interesting colors with a texture and then a new micarta, a wood and a fancier giraffe with all kinds of variation. Hope they keep switching it up. I think it helps them support being the "premium" brand that can demand higher dollars. (not saying they are more premium, just that it helps the marketing/image)

cigarrodog likes this.
  11. bax229

May 7, 2016
    Great choices this round! Can't wait for more pix

12. chuckgp

chuckgp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2014
    already showing up on the well-known auction site --$450 for a giraffe anyone?
    Using KSF's copyrighted pics even, they didn't pull them fast enough

13. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    @Sabercat mine is #30. Sorry you got cart nabbed, has happened to me more than once. I liked the blue sawcut, but didn't waste time when the giraffe appeared. Grabbed the first one I liked and checked out asap.

14. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Thanks for the reply chief! That's a nice one.

Yep, getting "nabbed" is just part of the cost to play. Not that I enjoy it, but I do accept and understand it, and have no hard feeling towards those who were quicker on the draw.

Tracking says mine will arrive Tuesday, and I'm very excited to see it in person. I've had several Northwoods, but this will be my first giraffe bone.

Thanks again!

Chief and bax229 like this.
  15. bax229

May 7, 2016
    :poop:

jkwithawave likes this.
  16. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    @Sabercat Giraffe bone is second only to fossil & ivory, IMO. KSF’s giraffe bone is a look all of their own, with GECs.

cbr1000 and Sabercat like this.
  17. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    It's called Karma. Like how some people don't pick all the wild berries to leave some for our wild companions in life...and Karma can be a bitch baby :)

HEMI 49 likes this.
  18. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    You can also look at it from the point of view that I kept it out of a flippers hands. :eek:

19. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    You got two and say you are going to trade one...that's flipping, just not for cash.

20. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Sigh...

There are any number of threads that so called flipper behavior can be discussed. Starting with this one: https://bladeforums.com/threads/shameless-flippers.1686406/

If the shoe fits, then great. If it doesn't, then don't let the detractors get you down.

Looking forward to all the pictures that should start hitting soon.