Let's talk Northwoods

I moved more posts then I want to count to this thread in Feedback. Let's talk about the latest Northwoods buying process.

As you all know by now this particular forum is for the discussion of knives not the purchasing process. There may have been a few posts moved that were borderline. Sorry about that. I might have missed a few posts, sorry about that.

Responding to one comment that was made about moderators leaving it be since purchasing is part of the hobby, that's not going to happen. There are many, many regular posters on this forum that appreciate that it hasn't become part of the market place. We'll do our best to maintain that.

I love the 78 but something seems awkward about the proportions (edit: on the Big Bay). Maybe it's the bolster?

Last edited:
I love the 78 but something seems awkward about the proportions. Maybe it's the bolster?
Could be but in my hand feels great for a small knife and it’s intended use :thumbsup:
Really like the looks to but I’ve always liked the 78 pattern and guess that’s why I have more of them then any other pattern . So my big bay should fit right in :)

Could be but in my hand feels great for a small knife and it’s intended use :thumbsup:
Really like the looks to but I’ve always liked the 78 pattern and guess that’s why I have more of them then any other pattern . So my big bay should fit right in :)
Yeah I have more 78s than any others. My favorite pattern (plus the cover choices were :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:). In case I wasn't clear I was saying the Big Bay looks off.

View attachment 867584 View attachment 867585 First northwoods, first mammoth. Is it stabilized? Any special care required?

Special care is required on some more than others. It greatly varies. My experience is the lighter the covers the more porous they are. That's just my experience and it will vary so much that I'm not sure that's super helpful. It depends on the history of the tusk - what part of the tusk is used, age, mineralization, supplier, prep, environment.... I'm not an expert, but seems that the experts will somewhat disagree regarding this. Long and short, be cautious with use of anything (oil for example) that can possibly seep into the mammoth and cause discoloration. It's pretty likely that if you wait a day or two someone will come along and disagree with me. It's just that their experience is based off the mammoth tusk they have - which will vary from what you have. You might not need to test an area to find out. Just look at the picture from KSF and compare it to the knife you receive. See if the black bars running against the grain, near the center pins, on the pile side, are still there when you receive it. If they have changed it's likely yours is a fairly porous sample. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The character of mammoth is such that color changes in the mammoth usually add to character.

This was my score. Gonna go get the lawn chair and six pack to wait at the mail box!
39001786670_0b09d90cc6_b.jpg
39001786720_25fbc878f9_b.jpg

Back