Let's talk Northwoods

Slight delay in shipping, so I'm a bit late to the game. Got my shipment late last night though. I'm blown away by these! Totally in love with the mammoth texture and character.
40045722055_5f9bf76032_b.jpg
40231575154_ae62877865_b.jpg

40940082811_0a439b920c_b.jpg
40045717325_8a9e641df9_b.jpg

26067155577_48b5880d80_b.jpg
26067155117_8e1c9fa560_b.jpg
That’s the one to own! Nice and congrats!

I finally got a Big Bay in-hand. It seems so tragic to me. They are SO CLOSE to being pinch-able! And yet....they aren't. Love the knife overall, but oh how I wish that blade was 1/16 of an inch higher. Ugh.

I finally got a Big Bay in-hand. It seems so tragic to me. They are SO CLOSE to being pinch-able! And yet....they aren't. Love the knife overall, but oh how I wish that blade was 1/16 of an inch higher. Ugh.

Mine was pinchable, but I'd say barely so.

Mine wasn’t too pinchable at first but after using it a little it got some patina and was then pichable. Patina does wonders for making it a little more grippy.

Mine wasn’t too pinchable at first but after using it a little it got some patina and was then pichable. Patina does wonders for making it a little more grippy.
I agree with you on the patina observation. For example, I once had a #47 I loved with Northfield trim. But you can't usually pinch open a Northfield #47. But I loved it so much, I kept it anyway (an unusual move for me...non-pinch-able + a wharncliffe....two strikes against it for me). In time, with patina, I was able to pinch it open and still can to this day. But with the heat treat slag left on these Northwoods, I figured patina would not do anything more than the heat treat finish was already doing. I'm happy to hear you've found it does, indeed, become more grippy! Time will tell with mine, I suppose. I think I'm going to hang on to this one since I'm hearing that there is a chance. I like the knife overall.

Heck, I’d keep that one just because of how the ivory looks. But yeah a couple apples and it was reliably pinchable, not the easiest though for the reason you mentioned. I would have thought the heat treat would have made it more grippy as well.

Any predictions on what the next Northwoods model will be? Also is there a list somewhere of release dates and prices of all the GEC made one?

Any predictions on what the next Northwoods model will be? Also is there a list somewhere of release dates and prices of all the GEC made one?
The last couple have been in conjunction with the GEC production. Looking at the production blog GEC has they are currently working on the whaler SFO for collectorknives and start on the #15 boys knife so it could potentially be a Northwoods #15 but who knows. They have been coming out with a new knife every other month so wouldn't be surprised to see a release in May sometime.

I gave this Madison Barlow to my dad a few years ago for his birthday. He passed away last year in June. We found it in his wood shop recently. I put some nasty scratches on the shiny blade while trying to sharpen out a little blade rap, so this Barlow promptly became a user. This is warm steak patina.95FA9A8E-E21C-4A64-ABB6-0CAF67026AD6.jpeg

I gave this Madison Barlow to my dad a few years ago for his birthday. He passed away last year in June. We found it in his wood shop recently. I put some nasty scratches on the shiny blade while trying to sharpen out a little blade rap, so this Barlow promptly became a user. This is warm steak patina.View attachment 910817
Love that wood!

Just posted on the Knives Ship Free page, Derrick Bohn passed away today. His daughter Karis posted on Instagram. So very sad

Back