Let's talk Northwoods

The spear head and one of the pins turned a bronze color. Interesting.
View attachment 926463

It's from the leather sheath...

Interesting. I have a leather slip from the same manufacturer (along with a wallet that I carry and love) that I bought for my Northwoods English Jacks. I have not carried any in it yet, only slipped them in to see how the fit was and to snap some pics. I wonder if there is something from the tanning process that is causing the tarnishing....

Interesting. I have a leather slip from the same manufacturer (along with a wallet that I carry and love) that I bought for my Northwoods English Jacks. I have not carried any in it yet, only slipped them in to see how the fit was and to snap some pics. I wonder if there is something from the tanning process that is causing the tarnishing....

It was a pleasant surprise for me as I really like the way it looks now. I knew the bolsters and spear head etc was made from the same steel as the blade so I was expecting patina as I use it, but what I find interesting is that the bolsters are unaffected.

I have two older Fremonts and they are very snappy an in if your finger was in the way when they closed you would lose some serious skin. Seems the latest release is a little softer. Either that or there is just a lot of junk still in the pivot that was left during the mfg process.

It was a pleasant surprise for me as I really like the way it looks now. I knew the bolsters and spear head etc was made from the same steel as the blade so I was expecting patina as I use it, but what I find interesting is that the bolsters are unaffected.
Yeah I don't mind it either, on a user that is... would be rather bummed if it was more of a collection piece.

Also I don't think the bolsters are carbon steel, they scratch but won't patina. I believe them to be stainless like the liners.

I have two older Fremonts and they are very snappy an in if your finger was in the way when they closed you would lose some serious skin. Seems the latest release is a little softer. Either that or there is just a lot of junk still in the pivot that was left during the mfg process.
I flushed mine last night allot until all the black came out and it was clear. They are just softer snap. I think it's still great, the pull is perfect and open is stiff. Open to half is still good walk and then just the half to close is a little softer. I have a older Fremont I never even flushed and it is snappier. So it's the run, but I don't feel it's bad at all imo, just different.

The spear head and one of the pins turned a bronze color. Interesting.
View attachment 926463

I have the same sheath with the same leather as yours and had the same results as you have. I got tired of polishing it off since it bothered me so I quit using it. The sheath is obviously high-quality using high-quality leather but in this instance the results were annoying to me. And then on the other hand, my cheaper GEC leather sheaths never give me a problem and get used a lot more often

T tomsch I agree, these are the softest of all my Fremonts. I also think these are built the least best of all the runs.

kaput kaput I had issues with mine as well. I even had to send one example back to GEC, from this run. I hope it gets sorted out, but GEC will take care of it as they always do.

In the meantime, I’m using this Fremont very hard.

E4F0B3DA-BAC1-4CDF-AFF2-4A53E9DEC5A2.jpeg

Last edited:
So a bear lake with double bolsters eh? New material release looks interesting. Not sure, I was never drawn to the bear lake?

Also posted in the buying process since it's an issue with the new site

Last edited:
I owned a bear lake and liked it. Ended up using it for a trade I believe.

I will try and land one of them. They are gonna have a wharncliffe blade as well.

Long time lurker here, first post! Am I missing something here? Tomorrows drop, Bear Lake, looks pretty much like the Fremont Jack. Unless some unique materials are offered, I think I'm passing this time around.

Long time lurker here, first post! Am I missing something here? Tomorrows drop, Bear Lake, looks pretty much like the Fremont Jack. Unless some unique materials are offered, I think I'm passing this time around.
I think it's the two unique shaped, not uniform, bolsters that slightly resemble the Fremont. But it surely is different in size and feel. The Fremont is one of the more if not most stout Northwoods with the rustic finish. Andy yes, there will be unique handle materials.

I'm about Wharnied out and that's coming from an avowed Wharncliffe lover but I'll likely try for one given the scale options since I missed out on the burlap in the last go round.

I was gonna get one of the Bear Lake knives but I just got a nice Fremont stag in a trade, so I’m gonna pass. The burlaps are a bit hit and miss on looks and that’s the only cover that appealed to me. Some of them are down right nasty lookin!

I like it. It looks completely different from the first run of Bear Lakes. The wharncliff blade and end cap do give it a similar look to the Freemont Jack. This one will be a step down in size at approximately 3 1/2 inches closed. Also, it looks more slender than the Freemont.

The Kudu bone option is new. I wonder if it costs the same as the giraffe bone. The lighter colored burlap micarta looks new also.
443CC0D4-4A3B-4C37-9E32-7E81182E9765.jpeg 92EBA24C-BAB9-4830-9732-2448963E44FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back