Let's talk pocket clips! Tip Up? Tip Down?

Belt Clips. Tip up or Tip down carry. Which do you prefer?

• Tip Up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tip Down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jerry Busse

What's your preference? Tip up or tip down carry? What do you see as the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Thanks,

Jerry

Most people prefer tip down for safety, however, on a quality knife where I am not concerned about the blade drifting open, I prefer tip up. But I believe I will be in the minority in this issue as most prefer the tip down carry (and I would recommend it!).

If positioned on the butt like the SERE 2000 it allows it to ride deeper in the pocket for more security and better concealment but doesn't slow down deployment.
Bob

Tip Up...better deployment in the palm....

...are you making a folder??? Kool...

I voted for tip-up, but I would think that a movable clip would be the best solution. Tip-up, tip-down, left, right...options are good.
As long as the knife is properly made, tip-up is very safe.

-SB

I perfer Tip Down but I would go with Bob on the tip up if the clip were positioned on the butt like the SERE 2000 and made so that it could be flipped to the left or right side without leaving a bunch of empty holes all over the scales and liners. This along with the "Hole" opener would make it very easy for "right-ies" and "left-ies". Also it could be used by a right hander on the weak side as a back-up.

This allows the pivot point to be properly positioned when the knife is pulled from your pocket. It also lends better to wrist-flipping the blade open to deploy when necessary....

I am a leftie, but do not (yet) have a Busse:(

Please, please, please take my fellow southpaws into consideration when making a decision on a folder.

(Just remember that we are the only ones in our right mind.):rolleyes:

I will only buy "tip up" folders. I have had "tip down" models in the past, but sold them all. "UP" is the way God intended man to carry folders. ;)

--Robert

Tip Up!

-Allows for deeper pocket carry
-Less chance for the knife to ride up and disappear :(
-Positions the blade against the outside seam of the pocket, further preventing accidental opening :eek:
-Allows for use of a lanyard to assist in retrieval from pocket
-Better position for the clip in a standard grip; keeping it out of the way of the index and middle fingers, which exert more pressure than the ring and pinky fingers
-Allows you, Jerry, more options on the placement of the clip since the pivot is not in the way :D
-Also easier to setup for left/right hand carry

Jerry, Please keep me in mind if you would like an ELU to review the clip designs. I'd be happy to share all feedback I had with you.
:)

btw, clip should be positioned so that as much of knife as possible is hidden in the pocket. Therefore, clip should be at the end of the knife handle. Anything else is problematic for concealment.

I prefer tip down, but the way to go is tip up/tip down left and right option like the BM AFCK D2 http://www.benchmade.com/detail.asp?model=806D2

RVO, as far as how deep in the pocket it rests, that depends on the shape (The 806 D2 rests further in the pocket with tip down set up.). Also the positioning of the blade towards the outside of the pocket is determined by what side you have the clip set up on, what pocket you carry it in and what side of the pocket.

Tip up for me, please.

I can deploy a tip-up blade much faster than a tip down, because I don't need to waste any time changing my grip. Fastest possible deployment in emergencies is a much more important safety issue for me than the distant possibility of an occasional minor cut requiring a few stitches. (I've been carrying tip-up knives for 9 years, and I haven't gotten a cut from a knife opening in my pocket yet.)

Tip up also allows for putting the clip closer to the end of the handle, since it doesn't need to be near the pivot, thereby allowing for the kinfe to ride as deeply in the pocket as possible. This draws less attention, and also is less prone to catching on things. A well designed clip on a tip-up knife also fits in your palm and adds to the comfort and security of your grip.

I agree with SharpBits that you should make the knife with the options for both tip-up and tip-down, as well as both left and right. (By the way, I'm ambidextrous.)

tip down!

TIP DOWN!

why? i don't know?, i like to pull them out tip down.

why do you empty your cbl tip down?

OK... one question/comment. Alot of requests for clip placement are based on the "Tip Up so the clip can be higher or even on the "butt" to allow deeper pocket carry." I would like to know the size of this beast before we go down this road too far. I wonder if the Strider AR & GB might be of he size that Jerry is looking at? If that is the case then "Deep Carry" is kind of a non-issue. That size and the aggressive nature of the handle made it more of a belt knife than a "pocket" knife. Unless Jerry plans on providing INFI pants that sucker would tear them up faster than S*** through a goose.

Jerry can you provide a little info on size so that we can make a better choice?

Back