Let's talk Zulus, Wharns, Sheep and Lamb

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Our next Cowbell blade is a Zulu spear but let's talk about all those "below the centerline" tips.

Maybe we can recruit some of the guys in the Traditionals sub to help is out with some info.

Last edited:
Our next Cowbell blade is a Zulu spear but let's talk about all those "below the centerline" tips.

Maybe we can recruit some of the guys in the Traditionals sub to help is out with some info.

YimL0fM.jpg

With regards to the Lambsfoot blade, it is rather subtle and surprisingly, a lot of folks tend to not pick up on it - often thinking it is no different than the Sheepfoot. In the picture below, you will find arrayed - a Wharncliffe, a Sheepfoot, another Sheepfoot (one that GEC dubbed a Ramsfoot), and a Lambsfoot.

We all know what they are but note that the "Ramsfoot" swells toward the end and the Lambsfoot is the opposite, it tapers. A Lambsfoot has all of the grace and nimbleness of a Wharncliffe, while maintaining the strength and sturdiness of a Sheepfoot.

xR5zqzc.jpg

I do like the lambsfoot over the sheepsfoot without a doubt. I'd guess opening isn't as 'pinchable' as a sheepsfoot but we don't need to worry about that in a fixed blade.

(As a heads up also, I'm looking into a Zulu, Wharn, and maybe a Lambsfoot fitting into the same sheath pattern just with different welts.)

Here's a question: I always thought that a lambsfoot/sheepfoot would be a great youth knife, less apt to puncture with a slip?

I'm far more interested in a zulu style blade, but a fixed lambsfoot would be a cool idea too :)

Just something about that zulu profile... Tribal lock of course as an example of the main blade, but also useful as a secondary blade as a zulu pen on the Texas Jack.

axd3E2Q.jpg

That WAYNORTH Lambfoot is a quintessential example of the pattern. :thumbsup: Here is my sheepfoot example -
my sailor's knife. Would be a solid fixed blade!

Still - my preference in this case - the more elegant and still exceptionally workable ZULU!

Last edited:
Happy to be sitting this one out, or all of them as the case might be - I absolutely hate these types of blade grind.

5FA590B3-E3F0-4906-8B39-B9EED79D8F3E.jpeg

I'm a big fan of wharncliffes and Zulus. A lambsfoot looks very interesting but a sheepsfoot always felt awkward to me.

For whatever reason, maybe age, lol but I lost interest with sheepsfoot blades this past year and sold or traded most of them. Not a Redmeadow or fixed but I still like my Benchmade grip sheepsfoot and traditional dom style sheepsfoot so I prefer dibs on a Redmeadow Zulu or drop point.
Patiently waiting :D

So now that a couple of the Zulus are out in the wild, maybe time for an impression :)

eZejBjV.jpg

John, you did a great job with the Zulu blade shape. Love that you can still get the tip into action easily and accurately like the Wharncliffe, but just that little bit of belly to help with slicing - and pretty darn awesome to have this blade in a fixed blade option!

One of my absolute favorite blade shapes, and I'm really liking this Redmeadow interpretation so far. And you have to love that cloudy grain in the Blue Canyon :p

So now that a couple of the Zulus are out in the wild, maybe time for an impression :)

eZejBjV.jpg

John, you did a great job with the Zulu blade shape. Love that you can still get the tip into action easily and accurately like the Wharncliffe, but just that little bit of belly to help with slicing - and pretty darn awesome to have this blade in a fixed blade option!

One of my absolute favorite blade shapes, and I'm really liking this Redmeadow interpretation so far. And you have to love that cloudy grain in the Blue Canyon :p
Great shot Mike, that slip sheath looks great too.

Call me crazy, but I say just put an edge on that and "Viola" pocket cleaver or straight razor.

Seriously though, I'd be more interested in a spear point.
Hmm, round off the front a bit with a slight hollow grind, I can see it. I've got a spear point on the bench, that'll give us a Drop point, Zulu, Wharncliffe and a Spear.

Back