1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Let's talk Zulus, Wharns, Sheep and Lamb

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by Redmeadow Knives, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Our next Cowbell blade is a Zulu spear but let's talk about all those "below the centerline" tips.

Maybe we can recruit some of the guys in the Traditionals sub to help is out with some info.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Wharn and Pàdruig like this.
  2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

Mack, Rupestris, Dopic1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    As a big Lambsfoot enthusiast - as well as wharnie and sheepfoot, etc. - I can probably lend a wee bit of insight.

Redmeadow Knives likes this.
  4. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    :D
    [​IMG]

Pàdruig likes this.
  5. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    With regards to the Lambsfoot blade, it is rather subtle and surprisingly, a lot of folks tend to not pick up on it - often thinking it is no different than the Sheepfoot. In the picture below, you will find arrayed - a Wharncliffe, a Sheepfoot, another Sheepfoot (one that GEC dubbed a Ramsfoot), and a Lambsfoot.

We all know what they are but note that the "Ramsfoot" swells toward the end and the Lambsfoot is the opposite, it tapers. A Lambsfoot has all of the grace and nimbleness of a Wharncliffe, while maintaining the strength and sturdiness of a Sheepfoot.

[​IMG]

Mack, GeofS, Rupestris and 1 other person like this.
  6. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    I do like the lambsfoot over the sheepsfoot without a doubt. I'd guess opening isn't as 'pinchable' as a sheepsfoot but we don't need to worry about that in a fixed blade.

(As a heads up also, I'm looking into a Zulu, Wharn, and maybe a Lambsfoot fitting into the same sheath pattern just with different welts.)

Here's a question: I always thought that a lambsfoot/sheepfoot would be a great youth knife, less apt to puncture with a slip?

Mack likes this.
  7. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    We've got options and can fit quite a few shapes into the blade blank.
    20201222_143030-01.jpeg

Mack likes this.
  8. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
  9. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I'm far more interested in a zulu style blade, but a fixed lambsfoot would be a cool idea too :)

Just something about that zulu profile... Tribal lock of course as an example of the main blade, but also useful as a secondary blade as a zulu pen on the Texas Jack.

[​IMG]

10. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Here's a pic off the interwebz of a Tony Bose Zulu. Great lines on these.
    [​IMG]

He also did a fixed blade Zulu that I've always admired.
    [​IMG]

Mack, Pàdruig, greatscoot and 3 others like this.
  11. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I’m really looking forward to the new cowbell.

12. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    That WAYNORTH Lambfoot is a quintessential example of the pattern. :thumbsup: Here is my sheepfoot example -
    my sailor's knife. Would be a solid fixed blade!

Still - my preference in this case - the more elegant and still exceptionally workable ZULU!

Classic-Pose.jpg

Mack likes this.
  13. Melvin-Purvis

Melvin-Purvis Not a Registered User Staff Member Super Mod

Jan 14, 2001
    Happy to be sitting this one out, or all of them as the case might be - I absolutely hate these types of blade grind.

5FA590B3-E3F0-4906-8B39-B9EED79D8F3E.jpeg

14. Dopic1

Dopic1 Irredeemable wood purveyor Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Watching, I like the Zulu.
    [​IMG]

Mack and Melvin-Purvis like this.
  15. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm a big fan of wharncliffes and Zulus. A lambsfoot looks very interesting but a sheepsfoot always felt awkward to me.

Rupestris likes this.
  16. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    For whatever reason, maybe age, lol but I lost interest with sheepsfoot blades this past year and sold or traded most of them. Not a Redmeadow or fixed but I still like my Benchmade grip sheepsfoot and traditional dom style sheepsfoot so I prefer dibs on a Redmeadow Zulu or drop point.
    Patiently waiting :D

17. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    @Crazy Canuck sent this great example of a lambsfoot. It's definitely more nimble than a sheepsfoot. Thanks Mike!

A. Wright & Son LTD (Sheffield)
    20210126_064240-01.jpeg