Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Black cherry used to be the wood of choice for the very highest quality scythe snaths.

Split it out and paint the ends?

One note about splitting cherry. The bark runs radially around the trunk and helps it to resist splitting. But if you score a round vertically along the line you want to split it will split pretty good. So while the bark makes it harder to split you can use it to focus the split right where you want it.

Good score,Agent_H,and many good points from all parties.

Very little historic evidence of haft-wood species used,but good old Prunus has surfaced fairly recently....and i can easily imagine this P. virginiana to be identical in physics et c. to it's European cousin...Maybe a good solution to the smaller-sized eye....

http://www.museum.ie/Archaeology/Ex...1014/10-Unmissable-Objects-from-Clontarf-1014 (scroll down all the way to the bottom,to #10).

32575298924_1856ff684a_k.jpg

32777774930_4d2b6e80d9_k.jpg

32575298504_ab64f621a8_k.jpg

Even being a suburban dweller I still find a way to use my axes.

some recent work. We had a heavy snowstorm / wind event in March that brought down some v large pines.

C7Y6jW3VsAAIPxv.jpg

C7Y6jW8U8AA_LVc.jpg

and a bunch of medium sized ones too. some of this was just practice on some dead and downed

C7pBjzzU8AATKZB.jpg

C73psmvU8AEVGbU.jpg

C9IvPdsW0AAgNxQ.jpg

C9IvPa_XkAAS8lS.jpg

takes some good axemanship to go through a tree like that and still not glance a blow, from the looks of your label that is. i couldnt trust myself enough to use a small paper label like that, i think i'd miss my target and hitt that label right on the tree as it went by

In my opinion, Maine axes are just classy.

I don't find them around here but I certainly enjoy seeing them used and posted by members on the forums.

DarthTaco, was it you that put a Montreal pattern on a 28-30" straight handle? If so, would you still happen to have a picture of it?

Thanks for the kind words Agent!

Afraid that Montreal is long gone Agent! It was on a 28" straight handle, and boy did it work like a dream.

I guess this is the other end of the spectrum.

The three hatchets pictured are my primary go-to tools for roughing out stuff like this. I do have others that I sometimes crack out but these are my current favorites. I can't honestly say I use the full sized axes I've got for much beyond splitting wood for the fire pit.

I guess this is the other end of the spectrum.

The three hatchets pictured are my primary go-to tools for roughing out stuff like this. I do have others that I sometimes crack out but these are my current favorites. I can't honestly say I use the full sized axes I've got for much beyond splitting wood for the fire pit.

Nice looking utensils Canadian Mojo. :thumbsup:

I did some more work today with those big cedar rails I post earlier in the bark spud thread.

We used a couple of mine (bark spuds) today. We're clearing some woods for a new disc golf course. We decided to utilize some storm fall cedar as posts to support some safety netting to protect a tee pad from drives from another hole. I bucked (chainsaw) a 13' section. We barked it with the spuds and then split it into rails. This couple has been volunteering at several work parties so I gave them something fun to do. They rocked it!

Bark%20spuds.jpg

Splitting%20rails.jpg

Today was about getting them in the ground 3 feet deep. It gave my an opportunity to use my deep hole shovels, too.
1.jpg

I did a little quick slash hewing to knock the corners off the rails and make them fit the holes easier. The axe on the back of the rail is a 3-1/2 pound Marshall-Wells Northern King on a 34" haft.
2.jpg

Pickaroon pulls the rails to the hole.
3.jpg

Interesting note, on the first hole I started with the post hole digger and switched to the deep hole shovels once I got below about 18". On the second hole I never touched the post hole digger. The soil is cobble and sand and the PHD just isn't as effective as the DHS.

Two up, two to go. I'm having fun!
4.jpg

Back