Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Hand hewed a mantel with an old Collins head I re-hung on a straight 28 inch handle.

WNhyFeGh.jpg

69Zx0nXh.jpg

Used my Wetterlings on the other side, and touched up a few places with a stubby handled boy scout hatchet.

65LNpKJh.jpg

Finished with stain and polyurethane.

wrMrWACh.jpg

That is going to be an awesome hearth header for someone.:thumbsup:

My folks have a similar above their fireplace but it was done in trade... for what I didn't ask.

Thanks for sharing your work.

The four pound plumb. With phantom bevels. I hung it on a thick 36" handle, roughed up with a rasp for grip.
I got this head on the cheap and discovered part of the plumb stamp when I was cleaning it up. I hung it to be a beater ax. It quickly became my favorite splitting ax. I would honestly trade three heads for a decent one like this. It is awesome. The ears are recessed. The handle is flush with the top of the eye, slightly recessed even, with a gap, with only a hardwood wedge in it. The head is solid, no movement whatsoever, and I truly abuse this one. A little end of the day fun, after a long day of splitting;)

Last edited:
The wedge on this Forest king double kept popping out. After several wedge adjustments, I gave up and decided to rehang. Used a big ash wedge that I had handy. Tested it this weekend on some downed white pine and it's held up great. Lost some usable handle length but its solid. This is a modified new OP link handle btw.

C_UD3ElUIAE4Yfx.jpg

C_UD3EiUAAAiKas.jpg

axe chips
C_UD3EiVoAE6VZM.jpg

2 forest kings.
C_UD3EfUMAEHMAQ.jpg

The four pound plumb. With phantom bevels. I hung it on a thick 36" handle, roughed up with a rasp for grip.
I got this head on the cheap and discovered part of the plumb stamp when I was cleaning it up. I hung it to be a beater ax. It quickly became my favorite splitting ax. I would honestly trade three heads for a decent one like this. It is awesome. The ears are recessed. The handle is flush with the top of the eye, slightly recessed even, with a gap, with only a hardwood wedge in it. The head is solid, no movement whatsoever, and I truly abuse this one. A little end of the day fun, after a long day of splitting;)

Nice to see some swinging.

Looked like a tough split.
Good job

Testing the hang and bit
Glam shot

Bucked through a knot of a chunk of dryish maple then split through it.

You could shave with it after, so at least it isn't crap. No chips dings or rolls.

Quinton, please elaborate lol

Not sure what that is exactly but for some reason it looks like the best inch off an axe?

Back