Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Cryin' shame, somebody do that to a good batch of whiskey.
An older, now deceased neighbor told me right here on this farm in the 30's he bent over to stoke the fire under his still furnace, and noticed a pair of legs with black boots standing in the brush right behind him. He said he never stood up, nor looked back before he sprang forward and took off like a rocket up the mountain. He said he ran with everything in him straight up the steepest part until his legs felt like they were on fire while the revenuer was almost in tackling distance, and closing in from behind. He said he was just about to give up when the revenuer reach and got hold of a small tree to pull himself on up, but the little tree was rotten, and snapped at the base sending him tumbling back down. He said that gave him enough time to get away!

Last edited:
From this..

mV23axH.jpg

To this..

SrtdK1Q.jpg

To do this to a fallen apple tree.. (my brothers like fruit wood for long bbq smoking and I'm a sucker for an excuse to cut stuff)

ZKJkaG4.jpg

Nice! And I agree with your brothers, apple and other fruitwoods are great in the smoker. Maybe mix in a little hickory, too.

Nice! And I agree with your brothers, apple and other fruitwoods are great in the smoker. Maybe mix in a little hickory, too.

No hickory in England that I've seen.. plenty of oak though. One tree by the orchard is over 300 years old. I've sourced fallen bits of that though! Sure it makes no difference but it sounds cool to say you're smoking a brisket on 300 year old oak branches.

I haven't picked up an axe for several months. Haven't even been able to work on a handle. And I'll likely be like this for the next 2 months. Tore a tendon in my forearm.

It's rough watching you guys use your axes and make new handles while I sit at home and peck at the keyboard. Oh, well.

19787243_1511602418860277_6347275646637116249_o.jpg

man peg, i had a stint like that back n july 1st. i was movin some concrete with a buddy and i said "watch where you're throwin that concrete" then a good size block hit it square on. as per the norm, my first thought were "AAAAAAAAAAHHH" then i it flipped over.
there was a gash all the way across my finger.

what happened was i bent down to pick up a rock, you know how you set your hand on the edge of a table and your fingers curl around the edge? that and the rock acted like a chisel and made a nice cut.

after that we went to patient first and said "you're fine... but you should get it cleaned by a doctor" that evolved into "we should put you under, then cut it open and clean it" what they found when they did that is i had all "3" tendons cut 80% through. it wasnt really 3, one tendon splits so they call it 3.

mind you i didnt know this when they put me under. when i woke up they told me what they found. my exact words were "well, ccrrap"
what the anesthetic does, it effectively pimp slaps your concious brain. the people that brought me told me later i said some things and refused to tell me what. they asked me if i could walk or if i needed a wheel chair to get to the car, i tried to get up but i physically could not move up more than 5 inches. wheel chair it was.

then started the PT. that lasted until about mid september.
anyway thats the story of why i'm semi-ambidextrous

sorry to hear it was your entire arm. i dont know how i'd function

Last edited:
I haven't picked up an axe for several months. Haven't even been able to work on a handle. And I'll likely be like this for the next 2 months. Tore a tendon in my forearm.

It's rough watching you guys use your axes and make new handles while I sit at home and peck at the keyboard. Oh, well.

Secretly, we are all sat at home all day playing on the cumoputer too..

The Six Million Dollar Man!
runs faster, sees further, splits wood without an axe!

So, you're a Keyboard Warrior now?! :)

Get well soon :)!

Back