Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Axes were used a right smart around here by G-men during the 1920's-60's to chop copper vats, and tubing into tiny pieces. Sob's!:)

I found this piece of worm in the creek that comes out of my hollar.
I found this old piece of copper yesterday evening way up on the hillside above the creek in a steep, hidden draw. It appears to be a vapor cone from an old still. No axe marks on it, but I'd bet the poor thing witnessed it's worm being chopped into small pieces!

my chopper one, unfortunately, has been worn too much to cut properly. the edge is fat and nearly 50 degrees. from my understanding it should have a cutting edge.

i cant thin it down or i would eat into the mechanism

View attachment 766817 vView attachment 766830 30 minutes and I was taking my time ,never broke a bead.
Is that a flowering crab, pear, plum or a cherry tree? If so don't immediately relegate the useable wood to the firepit or woodpile but search out some straight clear lengths that might lend themselves to making top drawer hammer or hatchet handles. Before they check/crack on their own quarter the rounds to find out and then squirrel the better/nicer pieces away for a rainy day some time in the future.

Yes sir,crab apple had to go.tommorrow hopefully if it doesn't rain straight piece about 35 inches long looks promising.

my Chopper One, unfortunately, has been worn too much to cut properly. the edge is fat and nearly 50 degrees. from my understanding it should have a cutting edge.
I can't thin it down or I would eat into the mechanism
Holy cow; somebody actually managed to wear out one of these! That or they were chopping up a lot of (tongue-in-cheek) Sand Cherry.

you want to see how bad it is? i'd have to dig it out but i can get you some pictures
Not necessary. These were a real novelty when they first came out in the 1970s and I guess to this day they still are. Strangely enough my local Home Hardware store continues to carry replacement parts for these but those long-unsold plastic-wrapped items have become more and more dust covered and very soon will be tossed by the 'new generation' store owner that recently 'bought into the franchise'.

peBfgQC.jpg

Variation on a theme.

By the way Square-peg generously salted my inventory of mostly Walters choppers with a genuine 5 lb Plumb miner/constructor/rafting head early on this year. Now that it's hung on a 36" straight this thing is wonderful for splitting firewood. If the axe doesn't fall or carry through after a proper swipe it's merely a question of hanging on to the handle with one hand, much as you would a shake froe, while tapping it with a large hammer or choke-hold grip on a sledge with the other. No muss no fuss. And this is a 'real' axe and not some obtuse-angled spring-loaded gimmick!

My post was in jest. May not have came across?
There have been all kinds of efforts made to improve a basic axe or maul for splitting Fire wood. None have been successful.
My son in law shared this one with me the other day. There might be an easier way but he is pretty quick.

There have been all kinds of efforts made to improve a basic axe or maul for splitting Fire wood. None have been successful.
speaking of which, the lever axe. i saw a post on one of these a few months ago, i'd heard of them and not a fan.
one person commented "finally, an axe that uses physics" and that speaks volumes about the attitude people have. rather than flicking an old or decent quality axe, they want the tool to do it for them with no regard to skill or comfort.

they used to be $300 at least, apparently they flopped hard. lowes now sells them for about $70

power tools have spoiled people. they dont even want to invest the $50 bucks and a few hours to learn how to sharpen things.

generally when tools have gone unchanged for centuries, there is no improving it

Back