Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

speaking of which, the lever axe. i saw a post on one of these a few months ago, i'd heard of them and not a fan.
one person commented "finally, an axe that uses physics" and that speaks volumes about the attitude people have. rather than flicking an old or decent quality axe, they want the tool to do it for them with no regard to skill or comfort.

they used to be $300 at least, apparently they flopped hard. lowes now sells them for about $70

power tools have spoiled people. they dont even want to invest the $50 bucks and a few hours to learn how to sharpen things.

generally when tools have gone unchanged for centuries, there is no improving it
Yep, I agree with you, not an easy thing to improve a tools that has evolved for thousands of years. Mostly end up with gimmicks that separate the uniformed from their money.

I have been rewarded by those that were to incompetent or lazy to hang an axe and just went to town and bought a new one rather than change a handle and cursed by others that incompetently sharpened their tools on a bench grinder.

My post was in jest. May not have came across?
There have been all kinds of efforts made to improve a basic axe or maul for splitting Fire wood. None have been successful.
My son in law shared this one with me the other day. There might be an easier way but he is pretty quick.

You have to applaud his strength and stamina.

Yep, I agree with you, not an easy thing to improve a tools that has evolved for thousands of years. Mostly end up with gimmicks that separate the uniformed from their money.

I have been rewarded by those that were to incompetent or lazy to hang an axe and just went to town and bought a new one rather than change a handle and cursed by others that incompetently sharpened their tools on a bench grinder.

I'd say about all you can do to improve a lot of our primary tools is limited to improvements in build quality or materials. Major improvements really aren't there to be had unless something really major comes along that fundamentally changes what we are capable of manufacturing.

A applaud your skill with the axe!

Imagine if you were cutting green wood, as that wide bit was made for. You would have got even deeper penetration with each blow. That was an impressive effort in dry wood.

When splitting I like to flip those knotty pieces over and start through the hard end. That way the wood doesn't pinch your axe as much.

Thank you! As far as i know, you always split wood with the knotty side down, that's how you put leverage on them when you start splitting from above.

vEqsMwc.jpg

Had to clear a trail, dry red oak doesn't cut too well. The three from left to right, DY boys axe, didn't cut well. 3 pound KP DB, cut better, not well though. And the 3.5 council made short work of it.

It's tight grained limb wood so it's a solid chunk of oak. Took about 3 minutes

its a new council, they dont have convex cheeks but not much more stick than any old flat cheek axe somehow/ you could convex the cheeks if you wanted to, wouldnt take much time

I chopped down that small dead pine in the trail, and my feist pups started acting strange. Really strange. I may have bored them with my felling technique?
They remind me of some digs I have had that will roll in the nastiest smelling stuff they can find. Maybe somthing has died and decayed around there?

They remind me of some digs I have had that will roll in the nastiest smelling stuff they can find. Maybe somthing has died and decayed around there?
Feist are WELL known for rolling in the nastiest crap they can find, drinking putrid water, and eating anything that would gag a maggot, but there was nothing there... UNLESS. :)

Feist are WELL known for rolling in the nastiest crap they can find, drinking putrid water, and eating anything that would gag a maggot, but there was nothing there... UNLESS. :)

You just described my coon hounds.

You have a good looking crew there :):thumbsup:

Back