Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

20171210_111736.jpg

20171210_103649.jpg

20171210_111306.jpg

Not much snow, 6", but enough to go out and play in.

that one of your legitimuses?

It is!
It's the head that my 5 year old unearthed here in our yard that helped me realize I had this passion for axes as well.
It was my grandfather's axe to boot...we bought their property a few years back.
It will be my son's when he is older...after I get my good use of it and hope to give it back a good patina for him

I have an other CT Pattern Legitimus for my oldest boy as well when it's time...that way we keep it fair as can be...they are so damn competitive I don't know where they get it from ;)

i dont have any european axes. this stuff rots on the ground so quick, this is the first substantial piece i'v found. its relatively knot free, about 6 inches around

Birch by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

I know it's not hickory but you could prep some of it for drying and see what happens. This is some Birch that I had to ask the same question.

There's always "reindeer" :)
just peel and cut the axe cut ends off? i think i'll keep half the log for projects and peel the other for handles. its about 9 foot so there's a substantial chunk

just peel and cut the axe cut ends off? i think i'll keep half the log for projects and peel the other for handles. its about 9 foot so there's a substantial chunk

I took the outer layers off down to the "pinkish" hued wood but I couldn't tell you if that is the best way to dry or keep it.

i dont have any european axes. this stuff rots on the ground so quick, this is the first substantial piece i'v found. its relatively knot free, about 6 inches around
Gather up a few 2-3 foot lengths, get the bark off fast as you can, split it down the middle and get it out of the damp. Rot and fungus goes through that stuff in a jiffy. White or Paper Birch (different name - same critter) is soft and brittle compared to Yellow Birch but might yield some hammer and hatchet handles that are serviceable if you can actually come up with pieces that are knot-free.

Good to hear from you. I enjoy your posts. It's become exotic today to watch a simple athletic competition and not see onlookers hypnotically watching their ever-present SmartPhones. That Osage Orange handle of yours (with signature Basque swell) has to have a interesting story behind it. How'd you get hold of that wood and did you shape the billet yourself?

Thanks for the picture,it is hard to stop looking at.Handles look all the same size in the box,are they around 70 cm ?Could you please tell me the length of the swell as well?Thanks again for all the good stuff you put up.

Back