Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

That should be nice wood to use like that, apple wood holds up well not fraying easily, just remember to keep them stored high and dry, that should help nip those borers in the bud.

That should be nice wood to use like that, apple wood holds up well not fraying easily,
It is the hardest wood I have on hand that I am willing to use for a glut.

just remember to keep them stored high and dry, that should help nip those borers in the bud.
Not too worry Ernest DuBois these are IMHO disposable objects and I know where to get more. ;)

Bob

This was one of Dad's axes, he gave to me awhile ago. He hadn't used it in years. I rehung it, but it's the same handle too. Now at 34".

I'm not too hard on it. But it still gets fed regular.

xknmeSI.jpg

wvjuWNf.jpg

Aghxyqh.jpg

9enUv58.jpg

5LIjp4t.jpg

8xlj11X.jpg

Last edited:
This was one of Dad's axes, he gave to me awhile ago. He hadn't used it in years. I rehung it, but it's the same handle too. Now at 34".

I'm not too hard on it. But it still gets fed regular.

xknmeSI.jpg

wvjuWNf.jpg

Aghxyqh.jpg

9enUv58.jpg

5LIjp4t.jpg

8xlj11X.jpg

Your dads "Perfect"...

That kinda says it all

:thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Mulemann77

...I think I had a dream about using that sharpening jig...:D

Edging, notching and other trim &fit work putting in this sub-floor
p4031392.jpg
p4031393.jpg
p4031394.jpg
p4031390.jpg
p4031387.jpg
p4031386.jpg
p4031383.jpg

Mr. DuBois...
Always such a learning experience when I read and view your posts, thank you.

Now, I am not a carpenter by any stretch, however I know I will need to address the subflooring at best in a 2nd floor bathroom...this post is if not anything else, motivational for me to take on a small bathroom project using traditional tools on my aresenol.
Not saying this is happening anytime soon but you have planted the seed sir with your post;):thumbsup:

Thanks
Miller

It's a great thread when It contributes to readers getting activated - sooner, or later, it makes no difference.
You and me both then counting ourselves among the non-carpenters, me just looking for any excuse there is to get a carpentry axe in my hands, this one a real pleasure to use.

On this axe, really for larger scale carpentry work, as in timber framing And log construction, where you really want to sometimes swing double-handed, 55 cm handle. A smaler version I've got with 10 cm length cutting edge, its handle coming in @ 45 cm long.

My wife thought it was a good idea I scrape, sand and paint the dining room today...all prepped, didn't quite get the paint up...next time honey.

I did manage a little fun today before heading out to pick my boys up from school this afternoon.

Now on to the important stuff...

20180406_141041.jpg

20180406_141354.jpg

20180406_141450.jpg

20180406_141923.jpg

20180406_142047.jpg

20180406_142126.jpg

20180406_142514.jpg

20180406_142527.jpg

20180406_142542.jpg

20180406_142643.jpg

20180406_142624.jpg

20180406_142628.jpg

20180406_143118.jpg

Head never budged, felt incredibly light and just an extension of my arms when swinging away.
It's not a connie but it made fast and effortless work of bucking this oak for me today. Maybe 4/5 minutes. Not record connie time but good just the same and very fun!

I really cant wait to get the 5' saw ready, bring the Adirondack, my Roger's and go cut me some more firewood to trailer home!

-Miller

Right on Miller!
20180406_142047.jpg

I see a lot of swampers but that one looks to be in great condition. Just because I find them here - they are an underrated pattern I’m beginning to think. When they have full bits they have a little "Puget Sound" look/feel to them. They were what we had at home/hunting trips:
ZbsEjCs.jpg

Some of them clean up nice:
oPKN24I.jpg

There is a fine little cruiser from Washington here that is going to get a similar Adirondack setup now.

Also, after seeing your cant hook there I think a shorter handle on the one I am working on as well - seems more appropriate to the size of log I normally need to move around.

Great work on all fronts :thumbsup:

Right on Miller!
20180406_142047.jpg

I see a lot of swampers but that one looks to be in great condition. Just because I find them here - they are an underrated pattern I’m beginning to think. When they have full bits they have a little "Puget Sound" look/feel to them. They were what we had at home/hunting trips:
ZbsEjCs.jpg

Some of them clean up nice:
oPKN24I.jpg

There is a fine little cruiser from Washington here that is going to get a similar Adirondack setup now.

Also, after seeing your cant hook there I think a shorter handle on the one I am working on as well - seems more appropriate to the size of log I normally need to move around.

Great work on all fronts :thumbsup:

Thank you! It was a pleasure really to work with, save, rehang and test drive! I cant wait to give it a good work out!

Very funny coincidence, i first thought, maybe it's a Pugeot Sound on an Adirondack, and started looking thru ID patterns to discover my first DB was a Swamper. Which is pretty cool I thought since I don't hear to much about them as well.
The Adirondack is really amazing and I feel fortunate and lucky to have found it.

I can see it now, the cruiser on an Adirondack...that will be a sweet, sweet set up hands down.

The total length on the peavey is 36&1/2" and fits my height, reach and work demand easily.
Primarily it will see use loading and unloading either my truck or trailer, stacking and or to the saw horse.

Thanks again, this one, like all firsts, is a beauty and sets a standard. ;):cool:

Large poplar fell across our woods road this spring. Great chance to do some bucking. The axe pictured is a 2.5 lbs King Axe and Tool Maine wedge. Hung on a NOS vintage oak handle. Also used was a 3 lbs 12 oz Michigan pattern woodslasher (no pic). Both worked great but I think I like the smaller axe better.

Great axe. I too prefer 2-2.5 lbs over a 3 plus lbs one for that kind of work. Looks like yours has a nice long handle, too. Two pound camping/backpacking axes with shorter handles are fine but if you keep the axe in your truck like I do a longer handle is better. More power and safer.

Great axe. I too prefer 2-2.5 lbs over a 3 plus lbs one for that kind of work. Looks like yours has a nice long handle, too. Two pound camping/backpacking axes with shorter handles are fine but if you keep the axe in your truck like I do a longer handle is better. More power and safer.
Can’t agree more. It’s a 29” handle. Shorter handles definitely have their place (I’m actually looking for a 1.5-2 pound head to build a pack axe) but if possible I will go with a 28”+ handle every time.

The axe pictured is a 2.5 lbs King Axe and Tool Maine wedge. Hung on a NOS vintage oak handle. Also used was a 3 lbs 12 oz Michigan pattern woodslasher (no pic). Both worked great but I think I like the smaller axe better.

A light axe on a long handle is much nicer to swing than a heavy axe on a short handle.

Back