Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Well it's down. Almost exactly where i wanted it. It's a couple feet to the left of where I was aiming. Chips are flying! Only took me about 20 minutes to fell this one.
D0o1r8C.jpg
gpgSAxR.jpg
xoPyrXY.jpg
HRy3FBf.jpg

Starting the back cut.
KyGBuL5.jpg

BSMGZ4H.jpg

Timber! Man what a crash. This thing is soaked full and frozen stiff. My goodness this is a heavy oak.
hpRmJHi.jpg
4ybn7JW.jpg
YZ3E9di.jpg

More pics soon. Splitting pics. Lots and lots of splitting ahead... I'm more out of shape than I'd like to admit... i kept at it but i had to make myself stop and take two breathers. I didn't want to be totally out of breath in case i needed a burst of speed real quick. Have a great afternoon!

This branch just shattered as it hit the ground. And thankfully, as is normally the case with oak, the rest of the tree can't wait to split apart too.
DiRDsZe.jpg

1az7b3d.jpg

My 5lb snow&neally splits like a dream! I haven't tried any of the large pieces yet but i wanted to give that axe a try. I split for maybe ten minutes. Squarepeg, one of the pieces that is behind the one being split i cut to 40" for handles. I think i can get at least 4 out of it. (Big smile)
u5ktdsf.jpg
uDHw6NP.jpg

Hard work but man is it fun!

Ahhh cutter mattock. That makes sense, I realized an adze has a more scooped blade on it for scalloping but just assumed this was a flat version of that. Cheers. Boy do they make the task easier, highly underated tool perhaps? Thanks for sharing the thread on them square peg was a good read through.

Maybe I'm the last guy to know this but I thought I'd share a tip I learned. If the axe gets stuck in a log while splitting, whack the poll on the stump, round, etc you're splitting on instead whacking the round that the axe's stuck in on the stump. It's REALLY awkward and wobbly but it works really well. A little to late for David Martin David Martin (sorry!) but hopefully it will help someone else.

Last edited:
Josh, a nice job. I got some red oak in 2012 and split it using a 3 1/2 lb. Kelly True Temper. Man it splits easy. More hits than pine but not as much as Mulberry or Emory Oak. Plus, it has a lot of trunk and not so much limbs & knots. DM

Maybe I'm the last guy to know this but I thought I'd share a tip I learned. If the axe gets stuck in a log while splitting, whack the poll on the stump, round, etc you're splitting on instead of the round that the axe's stuck in. It's REALLY awkward and wobbly but it works really well. A little to late for David Martin David Martin (sorry!) but hopefully it will help someone else.

If a round is parted wide enough fit a piece of wood that will juuuust fit in the split and whack it. Ultra wide wedge. If the poll is proud you can pick it up and drop it in your stump on the poll with some force and a lot of the time that'll finish the split if it's not too gnarly. "Field expedient" wedges made from wood at your feet are quick to make in whatever size as well! I'm probably preaching to the choir as well.

I figured everyone knew the upside down method from when they were young. It's one of those things I've known so long i forgot when i learned it. But i think there must be a lot of people that don't know about it considering all the battered polls we find. It works very well for me. But surprisingly it never occurred to me to make a wedge from the wood i had lying at my feet! Now that i think about it there's usually a piece sitting there that would work as a wedge with minimal or no carving even needed. I felt all smart about knowing the one thing just find out there's another trick even more intuitive that i never figured out. Haha.

I figured everyone knew the upside down method from when they were young. It's one of those things I've known so long i forgot when i learned it. But i think there must be a lot of people that don't know about it considering all the battered polls we find. It works very well for me. But surprisingly it never occurred to me to make a wedge from the wood i had lying at my feet! Now that i think about it there's usually a piece sitting there that would work as a wedge with minimal or no carving even needed. I felt all smart about knowing the one thing just find out there's another trick even more intuitive that i never figured out. Haha.

Ya buddy!

20180304-100057.jpg

It's an older picture of mine but coincidentally shows using a chip for a wedge:thumbsup:
This was a feel good day for me too:cool:

Reactions: A17
My oak does not open up to allow for a wooden wedge until after maybe 10 chops. Then they just hold it open, you can't drive them further.
On a saw cut, yes they work. But the ax will get stuck during those first 10 chops. The rounds being too heavy to pick up and slam into another. I wish it would open with more chopping from my Hults. A careful saw cut would have worked. DM

My oak does not open up to allow for a wooden wedge until after maybe 10 chops. Then they just hold it open, you can't drive them further.
On a saw cut, yes they work. But the ax will get stuck during those first 10 chops. The rounds being too heavy to pick up and slam into another. I wish it would open with more chopping from my Hults. A careful saw cut would have worked. DM
That emory oak is one pesky, evergreen tree. Just searched for Janka scale for it .... no luck :-(

Last edited:
wgYTBTe.jpg
I did a bit more splitting after work today.
78Tg2vS.jpg
asWnOKe.jpg

Here's the pieces i can't split with just the axe thus far. They'll be more I'm sure. (Just the pieces on top)
DCdK83r.jpg

I'm really beating up the haft while splitting. I think I'll make a leather wrap of some sort. I have yet to experiment with that. Any of you have any suggestions or recommendations?
GDPbToN.jpg

Just thought I'd add that i want to make something. I don't want to buy one of those rubber slip fit jobbies. I'm sure that'd work the best but i want to do something original and by hand.

Last edited:
I
Always strike near the edge.
I do after i get them started. I've got to hit em hard in the middle to get the split started and it sometimes drives in a ways. I think I'll buy some very small grommets and use wax cord to tie a piece of 10oz leather around the haft. Should work okay.

I strike near the edge to start a split. Once I see a crack starting I'll go to the far side and give it a chop. When I see the cracks meeting,
I pour it on until the round splits in half. I stay out of the middle. It works for me. DM

I'm really beating up the haft while splitting. I think I'll make a leather wrap of some sort. I have yet to experiment with that. Any of you have any suggestions or recommendations?
I used fiber fix on my maul last fall. It has taken more hits then I want to admit and has zero damage (split at least 4 cords). I put it on too thick not realizing how tough it is. If I do it again it will be just a couple layers. I am not a fan of handle wraps for anything but a dedicated splitter.

Back