Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

I found a few little trees down on the trail today so I brought out a couple little axes to clear them with. On the left is my Craftsman single oval stamp boys axe. On the right is a no-name Hudson Bay.

1.jpg

The little Craftsman did well. With a good sharp axe you can get away with a narrower than standard cut.
2.jpg

The Craftsman did it's job. Now it time for the little HB.
3.jpg

First I have to clear all the salal, ferns and blackberries so I have room to swing the little axe.
4.jpg

Stop!
Never try to "power thru" a chip on the bit. Stop and pull it off before proceeding. Axe-idents happen when an axe does something unexpected.
I'm pleased with the size of chips the little axe makes.
5.jpg

This little HB was just too small for this work. They are fun axes around camp but they're just too whimpy to be of much use clearing a trail, even on small stuff like this. I wished I hadn't committed to the HB and could pick up the Craftsman boys axe. But it did get the job done.
6.jpg

The trail is clear.
7.jpg

And I am happy.
8.jpg

Happy New Year!

I've been wanting to try making a spoon blank with a hatchet. This is my first attempt/experiment. Started with a dry piece of firewood (soft Maple) from the wood shed. Seemed like a good time to try different hatchets as well:

Since it is my first attempt, I don't know if it's close enough to start carving. We'll see. I know I'm done for today. Beverage time ;)

Bob

I did this the night before last but haven't gotten around to downloading pics till now. After hanging my cracked-eye Plumb (and learning I still have to steam straighten the haft) I wanted to try it out. Naturally I took it to the ol' proving grounds, the remaining trees that were cleared from around the power lines. It passed the test of felling, limbing and trimming trees with flying colors! Once I steam straighten the haft it will be my #1 axe. I wouldn't swing it all day but for an afternoon the extra heft really helps.
IMG-1552.jpg
IMG-1554.jpg
IMG-1556.jpg

Brought my most recently hafted axe out on a little hike today. It is a 2 1/4# GDR (East German) head on a 29" hop hornbeam handle. The handle was carved from a stave I split out in the spring from a tree intended for self bows. I wedged the handle with black locust, but it kept backing out until I followed some advice from square peg to drive the wedge past the top edge of the handle to allow it to swell over the wedge. Today was a test to see if the wedge was still going to creep out but I'm confident it is staying now. Chopped up some frozen maple to test the edge profile and didn't have any chipping. This axe is a pleasure to use. Haven't read much about these GDR axes but it has a high centerline and thinned out cheeks so it doesn't get stuck.
9NdrdkT.jpg

H6KwHJm.jpg

wjSEXy8.jpg

A A17 , so you had the eye welded? What weight is the axe head, that caused you to not want to swing it all day? Good photos. DM

Reactions: A17
A A17 , so you had the eye welded? What weight is the axe head, that caused you to not want to swing it all day? Good photos. DM
Yep, I pestered my dad into welding it as I don't know how yet. The axe is a 4lb Plumb that probably hasn't lost more than an ounce if that due to sharpening. The handle on it though. Man, it was worth the $20 I paid for the axe. Just a beauty to swing.

I cleared a few more windfalls off the trail today. This first little guy was hardly worth a photo. Today I brought the 2-3/4 pound Walters on the home made stick.

1.jpg

This one was a little bigger and nicely set up off the trail.
2.jpg

Made 2 cuts and cleared it. That chunk of rail back behind the dog is left over from a 100 year old logging operation that ran narrow gauge rail through these woods. The area was logged again in the late 70's or early 80's. It's been preserved now.
3.jpg

Another photo of that rail. I've thought about hauling it out but it's a 1/4 mile from the road and it would be an arduous task of winching and clearing to do it. I guess I could bring a torch out there to cut it up. Better to leave it alone for people to enjoy and wonder about.
4.jpg

The last one is a 10" hemlock that had a lot of knots. I've learned to stay the heck away from hemlock knots.
5.jpg

I made a narrow cut staying between the knots. Knot the most efficient means of cutting but I don't want to chip another axe on hemlock.
6.jpg

All clear. I had fun and it's cheaper than a gym membership.
7.jpg

I cleared a few more windfalls off the trail today. This first little guy was hardly worth a photo. Today I brought the 2-3/4 pound Walters on the home made stick.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Made 2 cuts and cleared it. That chunk of rail back behind the dog is left over from a 100 year old logging operation that ran narrow gauge rail through these woods. The area was logged again in the late 70's or early 80's. It's been preserved now.
3.jpg

Another photo of that rail. I've thought about hauling it out but it's a 1/4 mile from the road and it would be an arduous task of winching and clearing to do it. I guess I could bring a torch out there to cut it up. Better to leave it alone for people to enjoy and wonder about.
4.jpg

The last one is a 10" hemlock that had a lot of knots. I've learned to stay the heck away from hemlock knots.
5.jpg

I made a narrow cut staying between the knots. Knot the most efficient means of cutting but I don't want to chip another axe on hemlock.
6.jpg

7.jpg

That sure looked fun for you guys from here, especially fun with the hemlock challenge. The Walter's still looks amazing, better really, and your best friend looks to be a great trail companion.
You have an amazing backyard out there, I always enjoy the views you west coast & pnw guys share.
Thanks SquarePeg.
Time for another cup o Joe

S Square_peg , your Walters is painted like a Council. Whats the brand name of your other ax? A larger head, like a 3 1/2 lb.. I agree, outdoors working, chopping is way better than indoors working out at the gym. Plus, you get to pack your tools and enjoy time with your dog. That's the best days. Your forests are over grown, likely a condition of so much rainfall. Your dog has some years on him. DM

Last edited:
I found a few little trees down on the trail today so I brought out a couple little axes to clear them with. On the left is my Craftsman single oval stamp boys axe. On the right is a no-name Hudson Bay.

1.jpg

The little Craftsman did well. With a good sharp axe you can get away with a narrower than standard cut.
2.jpg

The Craftsman did it's job. Now it time for the little HB.
3.jpg

First I have to clear all the salal, ferns and blackberries so I have room to swing the little axe.
4.jpg

Stop!
Never try to "power thru" a chip on the bit. Stop and pull it off before proceeding. Axe-idents happen when an axe does something unexpected.
I'm pleased with the size of chips the little axe makes.
5.jpg

This little HB was just too small for this work. They are fun axes around camp but they're just too whimpy to be of much use clearing a trail, even on small stuff like this. I wished I hadn't committed to the HB and could pick up the Craftsman boys axe. But it did get the job done.
6.jpg

The trail is clear.
7.jpg

And I am happy.
8.jpg

Happy New Year!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Thanks for the trailwork. A lot of folks just don't realize how much of it is done by volunteers or volunteer organizations.

and your best friend looks to be a great trail companion.

She is but she can't walk so far as she used to. She's a Lab/Rott mix, almost 14 years with intestinal cancer. 9 months ago they said she had 2-3 months to live. But Gabby had other ideas. I watch her meds and nutrition very closely. She's still happy and gets excited when she sees me pulling my boots on.

Mr. SquarePegs Walters.

20171217-194350.png

I love this axe, the handle does remind me of a gag the boys would have pulled in one of the old Porkys Movies LOL!

Today I brought the 2-3/4 pound Walters on the home made stick.
2.jpg

5.jpg

All jokes aside...the handle you carved for the Walter's is working art. I am sure it is as comfortable and balanced as it looks.
...even if from the right angle, the swell looks like its wearing a cap for protection in the woods:D
I love that axe sir:cool:

She is but she can't walk so far as she used to. She's a Lab/Rott mix, almost 14 years with intestinal cancer. 9 months ago they said she had 2-3 months to live. But Gabby had other ideas. I watch her meds and nutrition very closely. She's still happy and gets excited when she sees me pulling my boots on.

Sorry to hear it. I know what it's like; two times in two years. Bittersweet times.

I'm in love with knob ends now. A knob end just feels good in the hand. :D Innuendo aside, it's true.

You can drop one or two fingers down on the knob and it's a really natural grip at full extension.

I'm almost finished with a Kelly Perfect hang. I just wanna clean it up a bit. It's a knob end based on the haft that came in my Keen Kutter Rockaway. It's actually kind of a practice run for the Rockaway re-hang, except it was "taken out of" a Baker or Link.

Attachments

• 20190106_225753-333x1532.jpg
    20190106_225753-333x1532.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 8
You can drop one or two fingers down on the knob and it's a really natural grip at full extension.

I find myself letting my little finger creep up onto the knob and my ring finger in the hook. The handle is thin and light and whippy and feels like a million bucks. But I gotta say, the lightweight head doesn't pop the chip as well as a larger axe. But this was purpose built to be a light axe for the trail.

Back