Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

I thought I'd post this here since i raised the idea on this thread. It's not perfect but i think it'll work okay.
TQnupn3.jpg

I used faux sinew to tie it up. You can see on the right hand side the leather is down a bit. But it's okay it's only cosmetic.
zGuhaAx.jpg

uzYUxFK.jpg

It's 10oz leather so we'll see how long it'll hold up. I've been so damn busy working I've been too wiped out to either split wood or post anything! Take care everyone!

I've got all the big rounds split. And some of the smaller pieces too.
1toRDHy.jpg
dpmfsae.jpg
ed3LaO0.jpg

My leather wrap didn't last very long. It's still working but will be destroyed before i finish with this tree.
HXEcq8q.jpg
5pCheGQ.jpg

Perhaps i will use fiberglass. That should last and do a good job. I had my girlfriend come down and split a little. She did good! Especially after she got a little more used to it. I wanted her to appreciate the amount of effort it takes to keep us warm all winter. She does now. Haha.

Josh, what weight is your axe? What type tree? Good job.
You guys wood splits sooo nice, just picture perfect... I couldn't get that look out of my wood if my dog was riding on it. DM

Last edited:
This S&N is just under 5lbs. This red oak is frozen stiff and it normally splits good green anyway. It's especially easy this winter though. I think part of it is the axe! I filed a nice convex edge so that helps.

I noticed you had cut through a couple of limb anchors. There's no way I could do that with my wood. Even if it had been dead for 20 years.
Just giving an accurate picture. DM

Reactions: A17
I've got all the big rounds split. And some of the smaller pieces too.
1toRDHy.jpg
dpmfsae.jpg
ed3LaO0.jpg

My leather wrap didn't last very long. It's still working but will be destroyed before i finish with this tree.
HXEcq8q.jpg
5pCheGQ.jpg

Perhaps i will use fiberglass. That should last and do a good job. I had my girlfriend come down and split a little. She did good! Especially after she got a little more used to it. I wanted her to appreciate the amount of effort it takes to keep us warm all winter. She does now. Haha.

Beautiful straight grained wood. Too bad it couldn't have been milled.

We had a pair of decent sized alders fall into our pasture during a storm a few weeks ago. While I have no intention of processing the entire tree with just axes, it has been a great opportunity to put steel to wood and have some fun!
HuoiRbU.jpg
gcVoXE7.jpg
RhhkXRe.jpg

I’ve taken off most of the limbs, and have been bucking a round or two here and there, weather and time permitting.

v8XGWs9.jpg
cLtRi32.jpg
ydAFxrq.jpg
wSkmj74.jpg

Yesterday the nod went to my 3.5lb no-name Connecticut (courtesy of Miller ‘72, thanks again!), hung on a 28” haft. It made very quick work of the 16” diameter log.

We had a pair of decent sized alders fall into our pasture during a storm a few weeks ago. While I have no intention of processing the entire tree with just axes, it has been a great opportunity to put steel to wood and have some fun!
HuoiRbU.jpg
gcVoXE7.jpg
RhhkXRe.jpg

I’ve taken off most of the limbs, and have been bucking a round or two here and there, weather and time permitting.

v8XGWs9.jpg
cLtRi32.jpg
ydAFxrq.jpg
wSkmj74.jpg

Yesterday the nod went to my 3.5lb no-name Connecticut (courtesy of Miller ‘72, thanks again!), hung on a 28” haft. It made very quick work of the 16” diameter log.

It's really great to see that Connecticut out across the country working and looking as great as it does.
Great job travbud1! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I've been working on lessening the number of dead trees (30+) on the property "with hatchet, axe, and saw!" (for you Rush fans:)) My recently refurbished St, uh, Disston! Yeah, that's it! Ms250 was put through its paces along with @Nbrackett's Flint Edge and my TT double bits. No pics of the 250 at work because I was, well, working. All I have from that is a few pics of the one of the 15 trees that was taken down on Friday, and not on Saturday afternoon and one pic of the face cut in a hollow cedar done by a TT double. In my next post I will document the reason I fixed the crosscut saw up. Also known as the tree I took down today.
IMG-1691.jpg

IMG-1692.jpg

My two Disstons.:p
IMG-1710.jpg

IMG-E1712.jpg

What is your take on the Roselli? Where do you see that pattern excelling? When would you pick up that GB in its place?

Great pictures :thumbsup:
The Roselli is an interesting beast. It seems it is too thick to be a decent chopper, but it works quite well for it's size. That one is the axe, not the hatchet. The difference is the handle length, the head is the same. The axe has an 18" handle length, and the hatchet has a 14" handle. I didn't see where I couldn't choke up 4 inches, so I went with the axe model. I would pick up the GB for smaller tasks. Although only an 18" handle, you can still use two hands on the Roselli. I chopped down a damn good size tree with the Roselli, to see what it could do. It took me 2 hours to fell it, but it still worked.

Posts split up for downloading reasons. This is the tree I took down this afternoon mostly with my TT Flint Edge Western pattern (brother to the mashed-eye TT swamper) and I limbed it with the same. I also used the TT to flatten the stump off for a rough seat. I got the tree to fall exactly where I wanted it to go so that made my day. I used the old "double bit head stuck in the face, handle points where its going" method for determining its path. Why did the tree inspire me to fix my saw you ask? Seeing it laying there limbed and ready for the saw, I couldn't bear to bring a power tool to something I spent so long cutting down by hand. It was so peaceful and such a zen experience it felt wrong to not finish the job by hand when I had the means to do it 50 feet away.
IMG-1713.jpg

IMG-1714.jpg

IMG-1717.jpg

IMG-1719.jpg

IMG-1720.jpg

IMG-1722.jpg

LIMINATOR SMASH PUNY LIMB IN ONE BLOW! 98% of the time, actually.:cool:
IMG-1724.jpg

Mine too. My western TT Flint Edge is my favorite axe of all time for now. When I got it I don't think it had ever been sharpened. Fortunately, the handle broke early on in its life so it remained virtually unused till I got it. Thin profile, 32 inch handle, wide bit, just an awesome chopper all around.

Back