Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

I need to post up pics of mine when I get home, lovely axe.

I've got a broken one too that I'm going desecrate and make a single bit from.

Reactions: A17
A little splitting at about 10 degrees. I usually stick to the maul but gave my unmarked woodslasher a try today. It worked well on the frozen maple and ash. The edge took a beating though, it’s ground thin for cross cutting. When I re sharpen it I will give it more of a splitting edge.

YTOsRSe.jpg

ever wonder what red oak looks like after about 2 years drying outside under a tree? it looks like 1/2 an inch of rot in most places with an 1 1.2 in other places.
snu8Wop.jpg

here's the usable material, i didnt put those notches in there on purpose, those were knots so i chunked them out, i could probably stretch it out to 28" if i tried

I almost have this oak all processed. I did some more cutting and made this pile of rounds. 20190119_133124.jpgthen i split em. 20190119_153023.jpgi used my chainsaw to cut up the piece i saved for handles. 20190119_153303.jpg20190119_154115.jpg
20190119_154552.jpg
I should be able to get at least 6 hafts out of these. I'm shooting for 2 double bits, 2 single bits and some 20"-28" for boys axes. 20190119_160126.jpglot of work but boy you feel good after you've done it. Hard honest work. After a day of hard honest work. Haha. Such is life! Take care guys.

Looks like curly grain, that'll look nice!
I think it only looks that way due to the saw tooth marks. It may be though? I thought i was below the crotch enough to avoid blemishes from it. But it had just started at the top of this piece. It's all in the center so i can work around it easily enough. I need to get new rubber wheel bands for my band saw. I've got a nice old saw they're just deteriorated. Also I've got to make some sort of homemade saw mill. I remember seeing someone on here make something like that but it was a long time ago. Don't know if i can find that post...

Some pictures of last Saturday's fun and some later testing of my TT Flint Edge cruiser featuring A17 himself and the workhorse MS250 along with a MS310. I was chopping a big leaf maple off a madrone and de-limbing a pine as the cruiser's test. My brothers and I worked down there some more yesterday but I forgot to take after pictures.
edit: I just realized in the second to last pic you can see my older brother felling a tree with his Husky 281. That saw with a 36 inch bar is unstoppable. That one and the MS250 are the main saws we use. Occasionally we'll test another saw out such as the MS310. As soon as the carburetor is tuned right it will join the daily user crew.
IMG-1774.jpg

IMG-1797.jpg

IMG-1855.jpg

IMG-1854.jpg

IMG-1856.jpg

Last edited:
Some pictures of last Saturday's fun and some later testing of my TT Flint Edge cruiser featuring A17 himself and the workhorse MS250 along with a MS310. I was chopping a big leaf maple off a madrone and de-limbing a pine as the cruiser's test. My brothers and I worked down there some more yesterday but I forgot to take after pictures.
IMG-1774.jpg

IMG-1797.jpg

IMG-1855.jpg

IMG-1854.jpg

IMG-1856.jpg
dont know why but i figured you were an old fart, dude, good to see anybody out chopping, specially younger guys

What's the story with that stump in the background?
After i felled the tree i cut off the scarf and back-cut chunk and i placed it on top of the stump. Not sure why i did that come to think of it. I was wondering if anyone would notice. There's another little semi- hidden thing i thought for sure someone would notice as well!

After i felled the tree i cut off the scarf and back-cut chunk and i placed it on top of the stump. Not sure why i did that come to think of it. I was wondering if anyone would notice. There's another little semi- hidden thing i thought for sure someone would notice as well!
This?
20190119-153023.jpg

20190119-154552.jpg

You win! A piece of crap home depot axe with a FIBERGLASS handle! It's my beater. My splitting wedge with a handle. I was surprised no one noticed that right away! Haha. It feels like sacrilege to even own one but i need a beater sometimes and will not beat on a nice old axe. I have wedges as well i just find that very useful at times.

No shame in that, I bet most of us have some sort of beater.
There is shame in misusing a nice old tool when you don't need to :)

No shame in that, I bet most of us have some sort of beater.
There is shame in misusing a nice old tool when you don't need to :)
I agree there's no shame in owning and using one... but to take a picture of it! And then post it for the whole internet to see!! Oh the shame! Hahaha. I had a couple limb anchors that did not want to split. They needed a little extra TLC from a wedge and the crap axe.
I have one I use for chooping roots when clearing a stump. That's what a POS axe is made for.
I haven't had to remove any stumps using my own equipment yet but i bet I'd use it for that too. Sometimes ya just need to whale on something to gitrdone!

Back