Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

Sorry for the thread derailment, wasn't my intention.
Don't get me wrong Y. J., me not giving a hoot about thread integrity, I just found the idea of handle repair deserving of its own space here at the axe forum, see?
p32607091.jpg

Some heavy lifting on this one. Used two different axes, the Plumb and my Atco.

60" dbh, about 175 feet tall. All but the lower few whorls dead.
atYzBkY.jpg

6PKW1rp.jpg

Ms660 w/3' bar
Dq2Tulf.jpg

There were a million ants all over this thing. I bored it to see what the wood was, knowing it had to be pushed over its lean.
zWWg7Fl.jpg

Good, green wood in the stump
xlKKgOe.jpg

Let's put 'er right here, on these reprods. Stay right of the bigger one just enough not to tear it up.
5skyHEu.jpg

Faced up
H4NlzEZ.jpg

First set are in. Hard driving!
OTNHlsR.jpg

2U94iPD.jpg

Going up another notch :)
Lk66dTC.jpg

On the money!
XStwd5a.jpg

EzREjtY.jpg

Damn you are good M muleman77 !
Right on target!
Thank you for the pics! Love the wedge pics!!

atYzBkY.jpg

6PKW1rp.jpg

Ms660 w/3' bar
Dq2Tulf.jpg

There were a million ants all over this thing. I bored it to see what the wood was, knowing it had to be pushed over its lean.
zWWg7Fl.jpg

xlKKgOe.jpg

Let's put 'er right here, on these reprods. Stay right of the bigger one just enough not to tear it up.
5skyHEu.jpg

Faced up
H4NlzEZ.jpg

OTNHlsR.jpg

2U94iPD.jpg

Lk66dTC.jpg

On the money!
XStwd5a.jpg

EzREjtY.jpg

atYzBkY.jpg

6PKW1rp.jpg

Ms660 w/3' bar
Dq2Tulf.jpg

zWWg7Fl.jpg

xlKKgOe.jpg

5skyHEu.jpg

Faced up
H4NlzEZ.jpg

OTNHlsR.jpg

2U94iPD.jpg

Lk66dTC.jpg

On the money!
XStwd5a.jpg

EzREjtY.jpg
Hows that milled poll treating you?

Damn you are good M muleman77 !
Right on target!
Thank you for the pics! Love the wedge pics!!

Well, I don't take pictures of all the ones that end up on cars or buildings:p

Hows that milled poll treating you?

Good overall. I have a 5 pounder like it too that's on it's original 24". The little longer handle on this 4 lber is a big improvement to me. Kind of wish I had the 5# on a 36" to drive these;)
The downside is, they tear up wedges more that a smooth face.

I thought the tree I took down a few days ago was big but boy was I wrong! 95 feet is not nearly as impressive as 175! But it still felt large when I limbed it, bucked it into 17" lengths, and burned the branches over the past 2 days.

Well, 95' is more than big enough to get you killed. But you're not, so you must have done something right!

All kidding aside, after more time and more experience falling timber has gone by I look back and wonder how I survived. Don't get to take a lot of the exams twice. I had good examples to learn from too.

M muleman77 I've got a retired logger next door for the tricky ones, another retired logger who I'll have to grill on tips and techniques, and a friend who runs a tree business down the road so I'd like to think I could learn something from them. Ever since my dad and logger #2 undertook this with me "helping" (I was 8, okay? Not much I could do.) I've loved dropping trees and watching people drop 'em. This was about 8 years ago so I couldn't run a saw or use the D4 to pull logs so my brother and I skidded branches to our burn pile with a quad. The pile was 100-150 feet long, 10-15 feet wide and 5 or so feet tall by the time we were done. Good times.
IMG-3003.jpg
IMG-3004.jpg
IMG-3037.jpg

IMG-3115.jpg

60" dbh, about 175 feet tall.

That's a big damn tree! They start to get interesting at about 48". What is FS policy in these regards. Can it be sold for timber with the procedes going to the FS?

knowing it had to be pushed over its lean

Ah, crap! That's when you want a dozer pulling for you.

Almost need steel wedges at that point. A few splitting wedges might have come in handy.

That's a big damn tree! They start to get interesting at about 48". What is FS policy in these regards. Can it be sold for timber with the procedes going to the FS?

Ah, crap! That's when you want a dozer pulling for you.

Almost need steel wedges at that point. A few splitting wedges might have come in handy.

It's hard to sell them here. It varies region to region though.
What we do with most of the campground stuff that's good is an exchange of service with the CalFire inmate camp that's nearby. They have a lumber mill, kiln and planer/moulder operation. Also a cabinet shop. We get picnic table lumber, siding or whatever back in trade depending on what species and what we need. A lot of times we just let them have the pine, and they make cabinets or paneling out of it.
Firewood cutters get what they don't want.

D7 winch would have been handy! I would have used jacks, if I had them along. But they were two hours away. I considered going to get them anyway, but after I figured it at being doable with not more than a double wedge just went ahead at 'er.

Yep. Those hardheads are a close second though. Having a few of them in the mix makes a big difference.

Back