Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

We had this limb drop this past Friday night so i wanted to try this old, short, nothing left to it connie...

20190904-105520.jpg

20190904-105341.jpg

20190904-105351.jpg

20190904-105430.jpg

20190904-105440.jpg

20190904-105507.jpg

20190904-105406.jpg

Some may remember this head and hang from a couple months back.

Its as suspected and now proven to be a goner.
All soft in the bit, nothing left of quality hardness.

It maintained its sharpness the first couple bucks but by the time i finished with what you see here, i had some rolling, a chip and dulling for sure.

Also, on a side note. I am a short guy and i like a shorter handles on most my axes...this one is almost to short and could get dangerous if i had to swing it bucking this whole limb.

The oak handle will be rehung upon again.
That is too bad. Even though it is worn out it still has a pretty cool shape to it. What is it about the Connecticut pattern that is so appealing to the eye? I had a small HB head that had lost a lot of toe so I reprofiled it, but it was too far gone already and after spending all that time sharpening and rehanging it the edge was soft as butter.

That is too bad. Even though it is worn out it still has a pretty cool shape to it. What is it about the Connecticut pattern that is so appealing to the eye? I had a small HB head that had lost a lot of toe so I reprofiled it, but it was too far gone already and after spending all that time sharpening and rehanging it the edge was soft as butter.

I agree, the connie is at the center of what I like and compare all to.
When i started on this head, i knew almost from the start, it would end this way...but when i start something i have to follow thru.
So i used the process and experience to learn a little more about steel and the feel of steel.

Its a good looking worn out connie, no doubt :thumbsup:

XAJx2nC.jpg

So remember those hickory logs i got around last year? yeah finally getting to process them cause they're dry now.

Apparently hickory discolors if you let it stay on the ground for about 10 months... i didnt have enough pallets to keep them all up. I took about 2 inches of good wood off the grey end before i realized it was just as hard as the normal wood sooo now i know what to do for the other 3 staves

Back