Lets use those axes for what they were ment for.

By the way, does anyone spot the significant conceptual error constituting the refurbished village forge from my movie?
Well, your time is up, and it was a generous allotment, if I do say it. Here it is; no blacksmith in their right mind would design a forge with so much exposure to sunlight. You can see the smiths taking up their work this time have improvised in order to correct the situation.

Last edited:
Monday afternoon i managed some time to get to my new pile. I hope to again today.

20200224-125013.jpg

Video-Capture-20200224-195416.jpg

Video-Capture-20200224-195436.jpg

Video-Capture-20200224-195443.jpg

Video-Capture-20200224-195457.jpg

Video-Capture-20200224-195607.jpg

Video-Capture-20200224-195621.jpg

Collins Legitimus Connecticut
27"+ haft
White Oak

I spent yesterday boiling down some maple syrup. My father and I cut down this dead standing ash that was looming over one of the trails in the woods. It was killed by some pest other than EAB and was full of ants, but it was bone dry and a pleasure to split. Couldn't have asked for a better day.
6X03nGn.jpg

My8lGJZ.jpg

Y8SxqaG.jpg

U32u6xU.jpg

Working in the deep woods today With a 2² True Temper Flint Edge Kelly Works Cruiser I had rehung about four years ago. I felled a dangerously leaning balsam then bucked it to carryable lengths. Thought I was going to have a heart attack - felling and bucking is a young man’s game and will quickly reveal any weakness in your cardio condition !!!
FD37DD87-250D-452D-AB0A-4402220F03BC.jpeg

Carrying in my pocket today a budding knife by Bruce Bump but, alas, it stayed in the pocket all day except for this picture.
78EDC0F4-1C2B-4B23-9B73-8C4930CF564C.jpeg

I hung and sharpened this yesterday, made a quick sheath from scraps, and put it to pretty hard use today.
Helped me fall 76 hazard trees on a trail system, quite a bit of wedging. Pretty happy with the old girl!

UtmuZ0F.jpg

WdUohXi.jpg

TIgi5Cg.jpg

GvY7EY4.jpg

F1VLN7w.jpg

Ants weren't to happy with me. I was tasting and smelling 'em for a few minutes!

OyooBp5.jpg

I hung and sharpened this yesterday, made a quick sheath from scraps, and put it to pretty hard use today.
Helped me fall 76 hazard trees on a trail system, quite a bit of wedging. Pretty happy with the old girl!

TIgi5Cg.jpg

Ants weren't to happy with me. I was tasting and smelling 'em for a few minutes!

OyooBp5.jpg

Did the beetles get those before the ants?

Took these three out to clear a "deer park" for my family. Basically, just cut down all the brush between two fields. It was so beautiful today.
Sorry, there are no picture of the piles of wood. I just took a few along the way, it was more about working out and having fun.

No name (likely Kelly) on left
Keen Kutter lower right
Collins upper right
70U6Hagh.jpg

Before any work had started, they were ready.
xFWzioeh.jpg

Love the color in the rotting birch.
RbR9FOqh.jpg

This cuts nice today, thinned the edge back some.
Vq93y1Nh.jpg

Is this what fun looks like? YES!!!
oxpqmBeh.jpg

Chips so big you could eat off them! ;)
DLxBFV4h.jpg

What is better at easing one’s frustrations with the day than chopping a pile of cut wood ... especially with the right tool? Today I came home in need of some hard swings so I picked up my GB Splitting Axe and went to work for two solid hours. I bought this axe new in 2002, back when they could be had for $65. In 2016 a friend borrowed it and broke the haft, probably an overstrike, so I rehung it with a replacement GB piece of hickory I found for $28. Still my favorite piece of heavy metal. Working through some maple but mostly red pine and balsam, some freshly cut, some had been sitting since last fall because I broke my hand in October and couldn’t swing an axe.
F4FF7B00-446B-4E02-8E91-33A242274D8A.jpeg

A nice Monday evening of work, and I feel tons better.
28BBEE1E-315F-47FF-9D73-CAAF2271363C.jpeg

Took these three out to clear a "deer park" for my family. Basically, just cut down all the brush between two fields. It was so beautiful today.
Sorry, there are no picture of the piles of wood. I just took a few along the way, it was more about working out and having fun.

No name (likely Kelly) on left
Keen Kutter lower right
Collins upper right
70U6Hagh.jpg

Before any work had started, they were ready.
xFWzioeh.jpg

Love the color in the rotting birch.
RbR9FOqh.jpg

This cuts nice today, thinned the edge back some.
Vq93y1Nh.jpg

Is this what fun looks like? YES!!!
oxpqmBeh.jpg

Chips so big you could eat off them! ;)
DLxBFV4h.jpg

Viewing the last two photographs I find myself puzzled, what is the tree with the unusual bark on the left? I have never seen anything like it before. It is nice to see these axes in action. While I tend to prefer double bit axes, these three could change my mind.

Back