Leveling Stone for Sharpening Stones?

cutlerylover

BANNED
Hey guys and gals, I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find a good stone leveler? I have an edgepro apex and I wore down a few of the courser stoenas and need a devise to snad them down and make them level again as well as cleaning it in the process...Any suggestions?

I use a dmt coarse for this, flat concrete blocks work too. I know it seems kinda odd to run a stone you want super flat against a rough concrete surface but it does work and keeps the stone flat enough for most sharpening.

oh ok, well if the other methods dont work to my likign Ill have to buy one, but if I cna get off gettign it doen for free that will make me happy, lol...

I also have an EdgePro Apex and have tried the brick and the sand method advised by Dale. It took me a long time to get my stones flat. I purchased a Norton flatting stone to flatten my Shapton glass stones and used it on my Edgepro stones. It was so much easier and cleaner to use the flattening stone. Yeah it isn't free but is worth the investment.

Then I might just have to get oen anyway, lol, I am ordering more stoens for my apex as well, it would be good to own...

The real trick is keeping the stones flat. Flatten the stones as often as is convenient, even after every sharpening session. If it's not dished significantly flattening only takes a couple seconds, and is a whole lot less effort than trying to fix a dished hone.

The real trick is keeping the stones flat. Flatten the stones as often as is convenient, even after every sharpening session. If it's not dished significantly flattening only takes a couple seconds, and is a whole lot less effort than trying to fix a dished hone.

This is good advice. I'm flattening after every sharpening session. Dishing just gets worse faster if not corrected.

Very true, my biggest problem was using a course stone to sharpen a false swedge takling too much metal off really ground down my stone...knife came out great, but the stone is almost shot now...replacement on the way asap...

you want whats called a LAPPING PLATE, its used with lapping grit (silicone) and cutting oil

VERITAS (carried by lee valley tools)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=59752&cat=1,43072

although designed for smoothing the bottom of wood Planes etc, it excels as a stone flattener when the stone is lapped with silicone grit and cutting oil.

Looks great but $85 is a bit steep for what I am lookign for, I generally tocuh up my blades on rods, so I dont use my stoens too foten, onyl for reprofiling and major sharpening jobs...but that you for the recomendation!

If a stone is lapped with anything coarser than the grit of the lapped stone, it will take on the cutting characteristics of the coarser grit, until the stone is worn smooth.
Bill

careful with the norton stone its more fragile than a regular ston due to the grooves! If it breaks just use sanpaper on a piece of glass.

Bill, i have found that using a coarse stone on a superfine stone made no difference in cuting characteristics. I used the norton flattening stone on, 220, 1000, 4000, and 8000 grits and they all cut the same as before.

120 grit sandpaper on a piece of glass or composite board works perfectly! You can use a 'glue-stick' to keep it flat on the glass, and wash that off between uses to keep the glass flat and smooth. I use the same glass for sharpening with finer grits (up to 2000) when doing the 'scary sharp' thing.

Back