Lightest full size multi tool?

Harry Callahan

Fresh outta warranty
Gold Member
Platinum Member
Looking to replace my belt carry multi tool, currently a Vic Swisstool Spirit. I’d like something similar in size and functionality, but lighter. I’m on a mission to lighten my EDC load and every ounce counts. Any recommendations?

Skeletool is listed at 5oz, which is 2.4oz lighter than my Swisstool Spirit. Plus, with the pocket clip I’d be able to ditch the belt pouch to save yet more weight. A good recommendation. Worth a look. Thanks.

It may seem at tad minimalistic at first, but in my experience its been more than capable for most quick repairs. Mine is still going strong after about a year of regular use (and a little abuse)

Attachments

• D86BEFAB-217E-4B92-BE81-F18D22C02C62.jpeg
    D86BEFAB-217E-4B92-BE81-F18D22C02C62.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 38
I'll second the Skeletool, this is my latest addition:thumbsup: I have the CX as well like above and it's my favorite:)
JHgn1u.jpg

I recently went through a similar process recently... I carried a sidekick in the backpack, which is very capable, but wanted to lighten the load. The skeletool is light but short on tools. I bought a Leatherman Juice CS4, which is 5.6oz (1.4oz less than the sidekick and only 0.6oz more than the skeletool) but it has all of tools of the sidekick and more. Notably, scissors and the corkscrew which I use to hold one of those eyeglasses screwdrivers that you can get for SAKs. The main trade-off is that the pliers are not spring-loaded and are smaller, although they seem capable of handling 95% of the situations.

Really depends on what you need and how you define "fullsize" I wouldn't consider the skeletool to be full size, and even leatherman doesn't consider the Rebar to be a full-size either. What are you usual, or expected needs? Id be going for a Rebar for utility, but we are probably drawing the line in different places.

I think the skeletool is the lightest pliers-based MT I've seen or used. It lacks a lot of functionality of a full MT but if you really only need pliers, a knife, and the bits, it's pretty good.

Without cutting out tools you don't want, I'm not sure you would get an appreciable weight reduction without sacrificing durability. There's a lot of metal in MT's and that adds up in weight. I think the leatherman wave is still my favorite for a full-function MT.

The leatherman PST II, while discontinued, can still easily be found. They weight 5 ounces and are my favorite multi tool. Great diamond file too.

Following along the lines of the PST II, I would like to see Leatherman produce a legacy style tool about the same size as the now gone Juice line with a target weight of 4oz.

If you are talking about same functionality and size, you are not going get a whole lot of wiggle room in terms of weight. The Swisstool Spirit is pretty average weight for its size class already, coming in lighter than a workhorse like the Wave, Signal, or the new Free series. There are a handful of lighter tools in the size class. The Rebar would be a good choice, but would only save you 0.7oz. Going lighter than that with a full range of tools would mean smaller, like a Juice. Don’t discount the Juice cs4 tho. Its a full range of tools while maintaining a decent sized pair of pliers. And the new nylon snap sheath makes it a really nice and small carry.

oYYzbAjl.jpg

Last edited:
If you decide to consider the Juice, you might also consider the S2. It only weighs 4.6 oz. It has all the same tools as the cs4 except for the awl, saw and corkscrew.

Consider a Rebar. Mine does everything I want from a multi-tool, missing only scissors, and that is covered by a watch pocket-carried SAK Manager clipped to a micro light. That is all I have been using for quite some time now, and has been coming in handy for all sorts of home and away chores several times daily. Carried by Leatherman's new belt sheath, it takes up little space and is of negligible weight. I carried an original Super Tool for 9 years, now honorably retired, and this one does it all in a conveniently small form factor. It might work for you, too.

I have a wave and really like it but it's heavy. I'd like something lighter and have considered a skeletool.

I've had a Skeletool CX since they first came out. Great little tool that really fills the niche of a weekend warrior. Mine stays in my wife's glovebox more often that not. I use it as a back up if I find I need a tool while on the road.

I would look at the Rebar as well...I mean if saving just a fraction of an ounce is a justifiable reason to buy a new tool. BTW, it is TOTALLY a justifiable reason;) I usually take the ST300 with me out on the job site. The Rebar is carried on days at the office or weekend trips. I'm thinking about getting a Signal. I dropped a couple of hints for father's day. I don't really need one, but I like niche tools. Plus I'm guilty of using my tools without a hammer as a hammer. That hard use end has really saved the day a couple times when I was carrying my MUT. I want something that does the same thing as the MUT but lighter. The Signal probably checks off more boxes with what I use a tool for over the MUT. Even as an avid shooter, I don't find much need for most of the specialty tools. The Signal comes in at 7.5oz to the MUT 11.5.

Glad i saw this. Been considering a leatherman style MT. Can’t believe the light weights you are describing.
upload_2019-6-9_9-32-29.jpeg
This is the one i have and its 9.30 oz.
I don’t even know where it came from just appeared in my tool box a decade or so ago.

Glad i saw this. Been considering a leatherman style MT. Can’t believe the light weights you are describing.
View attachment 1141768
This is the one i have and its 9.30 oz.
I don’t even know where it came from just appeared in my tool box a decade or so ago.
A rare visit from the multi-tool fairy no doubt.

I vaguely remember i bought that to use the sheath to carry my old (1979) buck 110 in after the leather sheath had come apart.
This was way before the internet and online buying.
Keeping with the OP’s topic and doing some research and number crunching I’m thinking the Wingman is going to be my first Leatherman MT. They sell them at my place of employment so 10% discount is mine for the taking lol, lol, and LOL!!

Ok its all your fault! Got my first ever Leatherman. Went to my lowes. Got my 10% veterans discount and low and behold it was on sale down to $47 from $59. Yahoo!!upload_2019-6-11_9-47-31.jpeg
Researched and decided on the wingman.
On line it indicated pocket clip no pouch. Surprise this one came with a pocket clip and nice pouch.

Back