Lightweight Backpacking Knife (Folder or Fixed)

I'm looking for a lightweight knife (I don't care folder or fixed) that's great for long hikes. Think 20 miles a day carrying food & water.

I'm shaving ounces but don't want a wimpy blade that will break or is too small to be useful.

Current Carry:

Kershaw Blur
  • Weight: 3.9 oz.
  • Blade Length: 3.4 in. (8.6 cm)
  • Blade Steel: (I've got like 5 different steels of this model)

I'm eyeballing:

Benchmade 535 Bugout
  • Blade Steel: CPMS30V (58-60 HRC)
  • Blade Length: 3.24" (8.23cm)
  • Weight: 1.85oz. (52.45g)

That's 2 ounces lighter and almost the same blade length.

Any other suggestions? I can go fixed blade as well.

Hard to beat a Bugout for lightweight. And it's a great knife. I would go with the blue because it's easy to see if dropped.

I would also look at an ESEE Izula 2 fixed blade. Small, light and a great little knife. You can get them without the micarta scales to save some weight if needed.

What are you going to be using the knife for? Food prep, general cutting, cleaning fish, etc?

For long distance backpacking, I think a medium sized SAK is all you need (probably something like a Farmer with the saw for versatility). If you want a fixed blade, Mora's work for "light". But I lean more toward something along the line of the Falkniven F1 size for a knife you really won't use much but is "enough".

OP, I reckon if what you are after is ultra-light then the Grip is very hard to beat, in all honesty. I do similar length walks in a day, but can’t recommend anything as light as the Grip. I happily take along a slightly more robust folder or fixed blade, but that’s just me. Given that you are shaving ounces, I would say just go for it. :thumbsup:

I'm looking for a lightweight knife (I don't care folder or fixed) that's great for long hikes. Think 20 miles a day carrying food & water.

I'm shaving ounces but don't want a wimpy blade that will break or is too small to be useful.

Current Carry:

Kershaw Blur
  • Weight: 3.9 oz.
  • Blade Length: 3.4 in. (8.6 cm)
  • Blade Steel: (I've got like 5 different steels of this model)

I'm eyeballing:

Benchmade 535 Bugout
  • Blade Steel: CPMS30V (58-60 HRC)
  • Blade Length: 3.24" (8.23cm)
  • Weight: 1.85oz. (52.45g)

That's 2 ounces lighter and almost the same blade length.

Any other suggestions? I can go fixed blade as well.

The Delica or Endura are ideal for you either one. It’s basically the same knife in two sizes with the Endura being the bigger one with just under 4 inch blade. It is still so lightweight and compact though the Endura gets my nod.

That said if you don’t want wimpy then really a small light fixed blade is the way to go.

Tops MSK(Mini Scandi Knife). Robust enough to abuse, small enough to stick in your pocket. When I ride the relatively local mountain bike trails, I usually bring mine along. I also seem to bring along my PM2, or more recently, my K390 Urban. They’re mostly for the journey to get to the trails, though. I keep the folder in a pocket and the MSK in my backpack.

If I were going to use the blade a lot, I may upgrade to the Tops Scandi Trekker. No experience with it, but I like everything about it from afar. It’s a larger MSK with a leather sheath instead of a Kydex neck-carry sheath.

Another option, if you’re patient enough to wait for it to show up in stock, is the Spyderco Bow River. It looks like a killer design and I’m pretty excited for it. For the price they’re quoting it’s looking like a winner if you’re wanting a cheap, good quality fixed blade.

Edit for picture -

jr21IIF.jpg

Last edited:
The Bugout is still my go to for an ultralight backpacking folder. Even with the Para3LW. When we get some more steel options for the Para3LW, that may change...but the Bugout still beats it on weight and cutting edge length so....maybe not.

Rainier Knives Fastpak.
"Naked" 1.23 oz
Elmax steel.
A hair under 3" blade.
Designed and made by a backpacker and former Marine.
Damn it. Why did you go and have to draw my attention to that? Now I want one... :mad:

Opinel was my first thought. Stainless or carbon. Very light weight, and easy to sharpen.

Back