Lightweight exercise knives

hia. New here. I’m mildly new to the knife world. I carry a Benchmade Shinola exclusive Valet damn near everywhere but that’s about it. I’ve been looking recently for a lightweight folder to keep around my neck while I’m biking or running or so on. The small Fox Knives Dragotac friction folder seems to get pretty close to what I’m looking for, but is a friction folder gonna open under my shirt? Is n690 stain resistant enough for me to sweat all over it on a daily basis? Should I just give up and staple a spyderco ladybug in H1 to my chest? Am I a complete idiot? Please discuss.

Tl;dr, I need a lightweight folder for exercise and also I am dumb please help.

Spyderco delica.

Question. Why not a small fixed blade neck knife?
I feel like a fixed blade is a bit much for how little I’m going to be using it. Opening a package or two evey few months. Fixing a thread or something.

Also non-threatening is kinda my game here. For all my edc stuff. Getting off my bike, sitting down at a coffee shop and whipping out a 3 inch tactical fixed blade from under my shirt to open my lunch might get a reaction or two.

Have you tried clipping a knife to the inside of your waistband on the side. I do it with basketball shorts and it is unnoticeable.
No I haven’t. I carry my valet loose in my pocket actually. But regardless what would you suggest for something like that. I’m 6’8 so I have some room to stash a folder in my waistband.

Anything really, I use whatever I feel like carrying as long as it's not a carbon blade to avoid the rust issue from sweat. Give it a try and see if you feel the need for a specific blade for it.

Well I take that back the Kershaw Tremor would be uncomfortable, but that's even annoying to EDC in a pair of Dickies.

I'd definitely recommend a small neck knife in your situation. Check out the Benchmade 101 Follow up, it's a small 2.5" fixed blade that's meant to be a neck knife.
If you have your heart set on a folder, I'd go with clipping it inside your waistband. I use the Benchmade 530 with a deep carry clip as a lightweight option when wearing athletic shorts, although they don't make it any more. You could also look at the Benchmade Bugout if you're looking for lightweight and thin

This thing comes ready to go with Chord. I wear it when I need to not print 100%. Has the chord to. Sits flat under 20 bucks. DEADLY. is it the best steel and quality. not really but its deadly and only ONE use ..it was designed by some one that knew how to conceal.

I'll second the Inside the Waistband carry, esp. if you wear a belt as that welds it to your body. The CRKT Minimalst around my neck is more noticeable than a Cold Steel SR1 or AD10 inside my waistband.

hia. New here. I’m mildly new to the knife world. I carry a Benchmade Shinola exclusive Valet damn near everywhere but that’s about it. I’ve been looking recently for a lightweight folder to keep around my neck while I’m biking or running or so on. The small Fox Knives Dragotac friction folder seems to get pretty close to what I’m looking for, but is a friction folder gonna open under my shirt? Is n690 stain resistant enough for me to sweat all over it on a daily basis? Should I just give up and staple a spyderco ladybug in H1 to my chest? Am I a complete idiot? Please discuss.

Tl;dr, I need a lightweight folder for exercise and also I am dumb please help.

I would consider N690 to be sufficiently stain resistant for that. But, N680 would be even better.
I wouldn't use a friction folder as an exercise knife.
I think a knife with a clip would be your best choice for exercise carry. I frequently use a Spyderco Dragonfly when I want a lightweight knife with a clip. I would consider VG10 to be sufficiently corrosion resistant for your use. But it is available in H1.

An Opinel 3 or 4 on a cord around your neck is about as non-threatening as you could get.

I'm a big fan of the Endura 4 for this role. Super light weight, sizable blade, and the clip is strong enough to hold on to the waistband of my basketball shorts. I find wearing it in pocket is kind of annoying because it flops around, so the waistband is my go to. The downside is that you need a VERY thin knife to fit comfortably there... which the Endura just happens to be. If the VG-10 isn't rust proof enough (which it is for me, and I'm a very sweaty man) then you can try out the H-1 "salt" version which is totally ruse proof.

Get one of those credit card knives, put it on a chain to wear around your neck. No one will be alarmed when you need to use it for menial tasks.

Before 2018 happened, I usually carried clipped either to the pocket or waistband a Brous Bionic (first gen) or (before my ex stole it) a Dragonfly when I was at the gym.

If and when the day comes I'm able to go back to the gym I'd probably carry my Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent select. Very light, S35VN, and very subdued.

I don't sweat much, so I've never worried about the steel. However, I wouldn't carry a non-stainless if I were going to be outdoors for long periods of time in the summer here. The humidity is killer.

Any of the small frn Spyderco's would be good, especially the Salt series.

Welcome to the forum.
Spyderco Pacific Salt is what I carry for running, cycling and swimming.
Never an issue.
Any of the Salt line would suit as stated above.

All the knives that first popped into my mind for the desired purpose have been mentioned I think. First would be the Spyder ARK. I have the original in straight edge. But if I were to buy again, it would be the SpyderEdge version. Crazy light weight, and not threatening looking at all. Almost the opposite. It's simply adorable.

Next would be a Dragonfly Salt (or possibly a Chaparral LW). There are plenty of people that make aftermarket Kydex neck sheaths. Some even designed to auto-open on draw. With these models you have lightweight, and the option to clip or hang.

Back