Lightweight exercise knives

I would just opt in for the spyderco salt series, pick your size and go from there. The dragonfly is a great choice, the wire clip sits nicely on runn shorts and it's very light. The hawkbills can be nice as well as the gather loose material into edge easily, like rope and cloth. I don't think you would want to get bigger than a spyderco salt or salt wharncliffe.

Urban k390, non locking but sturdy enough and fantastic steel.

K390 is a tool stool and would be quick to rust. I don't think the superb edge holding would make sense for the limited use the OP would need. K390 is likely to lose an edge more from oxidation than from actual use.

It's a great knife, I don't think it would be good in this application though.

Having the dragotac both small and large: wouldn't necessarily carry it around my neck (though it's a great knife with a hellish thin grind).
The spyderco ark has been brought up a lot: One of the few knives I sent back - didn't like it at all. I also think that 90% of the stated options are absolutely overkill for a knife you carry only while working out.

Imo great choices are the spyderco dogtag (can't speak for the new one but the older one in CF is great around the neck), the spyderco roadie (very small and light too), the spyderco squeak (if you want something a bit more ergonomic) or maybe one of serge panchenkos new production coin claws.
If you want something bigger the Otter Mercator could be interesting though that's quite a bit heavier

Dragonfly for the win. Seriously, it weighs almost nothing, the VG-10 blade is pretty corrosion resistant, and it is very non-threatening.

Having the dragotac both small and large: wouldn't necessarily carry it around my neck (though it's a great knife with a hellish thin grind).
The spyderco ark has been brought up a lot: One of the few knives I sent back - didn't like it at all. I also think that 90% of the stated options are absolutely overkill for a knife you carry only while working out.

Imo great choices are the spyderco dogtag (can't speak for the new one but the older one in CF is great around the neck), the spyderco roadie (very small and light too), the spyderco squeak (if you want something a bit more ergonomic) or maybe one of serge panchenkos new production coin claws.
If you want something bigger the Otter Mercator could be interesting though that's quite a bit heavier

I thought the digtag could be interesting, just less sure on the steel, which us why I didn't recommend it. I think the dragonfly or ladybug would be ideal in salt garb.

I know sweat a lot working out and based on what I've seen from my multi-tools from cycling, just stainless steel won't be enough. Given, they don't state what kind but that makes me think it would be the cheaper kinds that aren't as hard but are reasonably stain resistant. There's usually a fair bit of elecrolytes in sweat.

I thought the digtag could be interesting, just less sure on the steel, which us why I didn't recommend it. I think the dragonfly or ladybug would be ideal in salt garb.

I know sweat a lot working out and based on what I've seen from my multi-tools from cycling, just stainless steel won't be enough. Given, they don't state what kind but that makes me think it would be the cheaper kinds that aren't as hard but are reasonably stain resistant. There's usually a fair bit of elecrolytes in sweat.
I carried the dogtag a whole summer and there's no sign of rust etc (though the bronze washers needed a bit of a polish :D )

I carried the dogtag a whole summer and there's no sign of rust etc (though the bronze washers needed a bit of a polish :D )

Good to know, I have been considering one as a replacement to a boker subcom that just didn't do it for me. Surprisingly heavy for a small knife. Made a great paperweight for a desk knife at work though.

Spyderco salt. Several options and no corrosion concerns when sweating, rain, etc.

Last edited:
Not really lookin to murder fren

Come on man; the whole knife hobby thing is just a cover. We’re all here looking to murder.

Unless....ohhh I get it you’re “not” looking to murder. ;)

For real though check out the Spyderco ARK. It’s h1 so 100% stainPROOF (beyond stainLESS) and has a little tab that will prevent it from coming out of its sheath during strenuous/vigorous exercise.

8a60563d91c0055304468ebf0c140362.jpg
Benchmade Altitude. If you need a folder, Bugout, fact or 940/943.

Leatherman Micra

I EDC a Micra with a large folder - usually a Buck 110 or Opinel 9.

When I'm at the gym, I'll just carry the Micra. Truth be told, the Micra easily handles most tasks.

When out cycling, I carry the Opinel instead.

Note, when out and about in my car (as in going to the gym) I don't feel under knifed because my hiking day pack is always in the car and it always has a knife in it, so I'm assured a full size knife nearby.

Top tip: The Micra can be deployed with only 1 arm opened along with the knife blade. This effectively creates a full sized handle that gives my XL hands a 4 finger grip. I can do more with the Micra than I can with those small 2 finger sized knives.

A lock back salt from Spyderco. The Dragonfly would be perfect. I wouldn't want a folder with a detent and loosey goosey pivot if I'm being active, one well timed jump and the blade could come popping open, especially if clipped IWB. The self close of the lock back is extremely well suited to this application.

• Light weight
  • Impervious to rust
  • self-close of the lockback

Yo very late update, picked up a serge panchinco spyderco gen 1 dogtag in bluegreen. She’s a beaut. Works great.

I've been running with a Benchmade Bugout. It might as well be weightless. I clip it to the waistband of my running shorts, on the inside, with a parachute cord lanyard I made holding my house key hanging out, works very nicely. When I get worried about wild dogs, two and four legged, I do something different.

Back