Recommendation? Lightweight kukri

Hey guys so I’m hoping you guys can help me find a lightweight kukri, I own a fairly heavy kukri from Himalayan imports, which I am very proud to own it’s a very well made blade, but I want something much lighter. I personally am not fond of the American brands such as cold steel etc. but maybe something more traditional like.

Have a look at Tora Blades, made in Nepal and sold from England.
Traditional build, excellent heat treat, and very well balanced.

I only have this one, a Tora Camping kukri bought in 2009.
It weighs 510 grams and is in use to this day, mostly for trail clearing in the woods surrounding my home town.

Last edited:
Check out the HI KLVUK. It's not on the website. It's a very traditionally made khuk with a much thinner spine and edge than the more popular over-built models. I have two of them and they are my most used khuks by a good margin.

Actually, if you dropped me out in the middle of nowhere and I could only bring one big knife, it would be the KLVUK.

The other cool thing is that since they are finished like a villager model, they are one of the least expensive models available.

What model HI kukri do you have?
What is its weight?
What weight range are you looking for?
What do you use it for, or want to use the lighter one for?

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Cold Steel Kukri and the other American brands?

Bill
Virginia

Have a look at Tora Blades, made in Nepal and sold from England.
Traditional build, excellent heat treat, and very well balanced.

I only have this one, a Tora Camping kukri bought in 2009.
It weighs 510 grams and is in use to this day, mostly for trail clearing in the woods surrounding my home town.

I was actually considering a kukri from them, do you have any other kukris from them?

What model HI kukri do you have?
What is its weight?
What weight range are you looking for?
What do you use it for, or want to use the lighter one for?

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Cold Steel Kukri and the other American brands?

Bill
Virginia
I have the sirupate model the 18” to be exact, its weight is roughly 1.8 pounds, I would like something that’s 500-700 grams...I would like it for light Bush crafting and self defense...cold steel are factory made blades more or less..and they aren’t too great mainly I say this because my dad owned some blades from them and had a bad experience with them...and I read some reviews..hearing they are just American hyped up blades...but other than that I wouldn’t mind any other American brand...

Nope, so far i have only that one Camping Kukri from them.
These are my 3 choppers: the Tora Camping Kukri, a modified Western Bowie, and a modified Solingen scout knife.

GEDC0934.jpg
GEDC0940.jpg
GEDC0935.jpg

Last edited:
I have a number of Tora blades and they are all fantastic. They are normally historically correct military models from the past and are much lighter than most models available. These are what people carried when their lives depended on them, not just as a modern trinket. Tora comes as close to the original military issued model as possible and they are a dream in-hand.

That being said, Himalayan Imports makes many different models and if contacted, Yangdu will try to get you a model with the weight range you specify. I also have many HI models with two of them being highly treasured masterpieces "in my opinion." Even a boring old BAS is special when it comes from HI.

I will also tell you that while an individual may have had a bad experience with a company I can say without a shadow of a doubt, and with dozens of kukri in my collection, the CS Gurkha Kukri is one of the best products I've ever owned and is rarely out of arms reach. I have regularly used my CS Kukri for over 6 years as a working tool and it has never disappointed. The edge holds up so much better than most of my traditional models it can't be caculated. I could make 5 kukris butter knife dull and still have a sharp CS Kukri doing the same job. It is "properly weighted" for its length and would be considered light compared to most on the market today. It is properly balanced in hand and its edge and bevel allow it to be equally good at chopping, cutting and even to be used as a traditional knife. These are difficult for the big heavy thick models in vogue today. Me and friends have done head to head tests and the results are so bad they aren't even mentioned.

To discount this Kukri is a mistake unless you are just committed to the idea of getting a traditional model. I love both traditional and modern made Kukri, but if you want to speak purely about getting a job done, I would buy a CS Gurka Kukri 100% of the time and twice on Sunday.

I (with MUCH personal experience) believe your impression of Cold Steel is WAY out of line. :rolleyes: Their Kukri machetes are light and strong (though, as with Condor, work is needed to get proper sharpness, mainly due to the coating), and well priced. :thumbsup: Their non machete kukris are very well proven, though, obviously not as light, and not cheap. ;)

Check out the HI KLVUK. It's not on the website. It's a very traditionally made khuk with a much thinner spine and edge than the more popular over-built models. I have two of them and they are my most used khuks by a good margin.

Actually, if you dropped me out in the middle of nowhere and I could only bring one big knife, it would be the KLVUK.

The other cool thing is that since they are finished like a villager model, they are one of the least expensive models available.
What he said! I have had a KLVUK for several years and I agree it would be my #1 pick for a big knife in a survival situation. I sold my CS Trailmaster and BK-1 Brute after I got it.--KV

Back