Lightweight trail pistol for bear country

OP: Tell him to practice safe bear prevention measures. Bears should be way down the list of things to worry about. The money would be better spent elsewhere. If he just wants a new gun get a 9 or 45 because everywhere is "people country." ;)

+1

Not to derail a perfectly fun handgun thread, but I hike in New England black bear country all the time and it would never occur to me to carry a handgun for bear protection.

Not to derail a perfectly fun handgun thread, but I hike in New England black bear country all the time and it would never occur to me to carry a handgun for bear protection.

Yep. Me too. I had a black bear try to climb in our bedroom window a few years ago. It was a freak thing. I never even think about bears when in the woods. If I was worried, I'd probably take bear spray.

Edited to add: I apologize for the above comments. Any excuse to buy a new gun is probably a good excuse. :)

Last edited:
I hiked in the Swan Range (NW Montana) today with Bear Spray, a Ruger GP-100 w/180gr Hard Casts, and a Mossberg 500 with a 00 Buck up front followed by four 1oz slugs. My hiking partner had Bear Spray, a Glock 20, and a Ruger .308 bolt gun...

I hiked in the Swan Range (NW Montana) today with Bear Spray, a Ruger GP-100 w/180gr Hard Casts, and a Mossberg 500 with a 00 Buck up front followed by four 1oz slugs. My hiking partner had Bear Spray, a Glock 20, and a Ruger .308 bolt gun...

What a couple of wusses. A real man like MacGyver wouldn't need anything more than a couple of toothpicks and a pocket comb.

Shit, you could always go with one of these guys.....

:D:p;)

2a796l5.jpg

Black Bears attack more people each year than any other bear type. There has been an increase in wolf and Puma attacks, as well. Hiking in modern terms means carrying as light a weight as possible yet being protected. That is why I recommended a 3 inch J Frame 357.

I'm no expert, so I would take a DA revolver, because I'm not very bright and I don't like to practice. Probably a .44 mag.

Does S&W have something like a .460 magnum that's heavier than the .454 Casull? Anybody tried that?

Speaking of creature attacks, it isn't so long ago that a Canadian folk singer was killed and eaten by coyotes.

(I just googled to check- it was Oct 2009. Taylor Mitchell in Nova Scotia.) Still rare, of course.

Last edited:
+1

Well... just because it wouldn't occur to you to carry a tool with which to defend yourself against the very real possibility of animal attack when you're out in the woods, DOESN'T mean it's not a good idea.

Was this like carrying packs full of rocks for strength training? Or, you know, better to have it...

I feel that too much is said about weight. My father's generation carried the Mi Garand with a weight of over 9.1 lbs plus other carry weight for months on end. Are all the following generations so puny that the weight of a good revolver is a problem. Years ago when I was camping I carried a Colt Trooper Mk III [.357], 6" bbl in a front break shoulder holster.

ps: Best thing I had ever done was send to Colt factory and paid for trigger job which was as slick as the Python's.

I'm no expert, so I would take a DA revolver, because I'm not very bright and I don't like to practice. Probably a .44 mag.

Does S&W have something like a .460 magnum that's heavier than the .454 Casull? Anybody tried that?

Speaking of creature attacks, it isn't so long ago that a Canadian folk singer was killed and eaten by coyotes.

(I just googled to check- it was Oct 2009. Taylor Mitchell in Nova Scotia.) Still rare, of course.

As I recall, they were more into Country music.

Chirp

Chirp

You remind me of John Belushi on the stairs in animal house. Who can't relate to that?

I've always wondered if Ms. Mitchell was walking with those nordic ski-walking twin hiking poles. I know domestic dogs go crazy at the sight of a four-legged person. You have to wave your sticks to show them you're really a long-armed biped.

Well... just because it wouldn't occur to you to carry a tool with which to defend yourself against the very real possibility of animal attack when you're out in the woods, DOESN'T mean it's not a good idea.

In black bear country?

With black bears, the primary issue is dealing with "camp robber" bears that have become habituated to feeding off of camp scraps. Cooking away from your camp site in places with known bear activity and hanging your food are adequate approaches.

Dealing with brown bears and Grizzlies like you have out west is another thing entirely but the OP specifically asked about black bears.

Some reading: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_attack

In black bear country?

With black bears, the primary issue is dealing with "camp robber" bears that have become habituated to feeding off of camp scraps. Cooking away from your camp site in places with known bear activity and hanging your food are adequate approaches.

Dealing with brown bears and Grizzlies like you have out west is another thing entirely but the OP specifically asked about black bears.

Some reading: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_attack

Black bear/brown bear -- same thing. I do not believe my 10mm is adequate protection from a Grizzly -- they can be incredibly tough to take down when angry.

I agree that proper precautions are in order when in any kind of wild animal country. This does not mean that animals still won't attack, which means a prepared person needs tools to deal with that possibility.

I still believe pepper spray should be the first line of defense in case of a bear attack, but a firearm capable of dispatching the marauder should it not leave is also in order.

You all remember the punchline from that old joke about how to tell if it is bear scat or not....it is full of pepper spray cans, bells, camper's hats...

Within that price range, having little experience, wanting a semi-auto and something reliable in bear country, I'd go with a Glock 21 in .45ACP

I wouldn't use that on a 100# feral boar (hog) AGAIN. Very poor penetration and definitely NOT a fight stopper that day. :eek:

A 10mm or 357mag / Sig are both better calibers.

I up gunned to a 480 Ruger but that isn't a beginner handgun.

A light short rifle is in my future.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use that on a 100# feral boar (hog) AGAIN. Very poor penetration and definitely NOT a fight stopper that day. :eek:

A 10mm or 357mag / Sig are both better calibers.

I up gunned to a 480 Ruger but that isn't a beginner handgun.

A light short rifle is in my future.

Agreed... .45acp just doesn't cut it for anything bear related in my opinion. Granted I've never shot any bear with anything, but from what my hunting buddies tell me and what I read online it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Penetration being the biggest issue, as you said. They're great for 2 legged predators though, no doubt there

Thanks guys for the thread, looks like he's going with the bear spray for now and how I didn't realize he was talking grizzly I'll never know, seeing as he is making his way from Saratoga north through Wyoming!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the thread, looks like he's going with the bear spray for now and how I didn't realize he was talking grizzly I'll never know, seeing as he is making his way from north through Wyoming!

Always leads to a good discussion. At least he's taking something!

I've been to Wyoming in the winter around the grand Tetons. Such a beautiful area. We also went to yellow stone for a snow mobile trip. Great area

Back