Lightweight trail pistol for bear country

Bear spray vs. light weight handgun. Bear spray = no recoil. Light weight big bore handgun. :eek: Of course, from a keyboard anyone can handle the recoil. :p

I have seen lot's of used .44 Magnum revolvers on dealers shelves that have only been fired 3 times. By that I mean 3 rounds. Before you spend a lot of money, see if there is a range near you that has rental pistols that your son can try. If it hurts to shoot it and he can't hit anything it won't be of much use.

Your 100% right, My dad carried a Colt Anaconda 44mag w/ 4" barrel my whole childhood, talk about recoil. Hee also had the 6" & 8" so I grew up shooting them. And I can tell you from experience the power they have is unbelievable. It's enough to make a lot of people not want to shoot a gun again. I've had plenty of blisters on the inside of my thumb. It definitely instilled in me a Great respect for guns.

Not too rain on the carry huge parade, I have taken 600lb hogs with 9x19 (speer gold dot 115 grn) one shot dropped ...

And really their skulls etc are quite similar :)

S&W Mountain gun. Designed exactly for that. But I'd carry a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 casull.

Don't like revolvers? Maybe a 10mm, or hotter than that.

Back